Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 207 Old 06-26-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

Hey Everyone,

My name is Dan Grec, I previously drove a TJ 40,000 miles from the top of Alaska to the bottom of Argentina. (Summary and details of the trip on my website: The Road Chose Me)

It's been a long time in the making, and I'm bursting with excitement to announce my next Overland adventure:

Two years circumnavigating the African continent in my 2007 JKUR with custom diesel conversion, camper setup and more.

The Jeep build and all the details for preparation will be covered exclusively at JPFreek Adventure Magazine.

Checkout the latest issue for the trip announcement and details of the build: http://currentissue.jpfreek.com/publ...i=261662&p=116
Also I've got an announcement on my website with my personal feelings and thoughts: http://theroadchoseme.com/new-jeep-new-adventure-africa

I'll be posting regular updates on the build and the trip here too

I hope you'll join me for the ride.

-Dan

Last edited by Grecy; 06-26-2015 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Edit: a word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 207 Old 06-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

So if your fancy magazine is going to cover you exclusively on your trip and build why are you here again?

Are you:

A. Trying to drum up support?
B. Being a fucking asshat?
C. Or sneaking JKOwners in on the side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 207 Old 06-26-2015, 04:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Africa sucks.

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”― Ronald Reagan

post #4 of 207 Old 06-26-2015, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
So if your fancy magazine is going to cover you exclusively on your trip and build why are you here again?

Are you:

A. Trying to drum up support?
B. Being a fucking asshat?
C. Or sneaking JKOwners in on the side?
D. I'm passionate about showing other people what's possible, and helping them get out there, so I want to spread the word about what I'm doing.

This kind of trip is much more realistic that most people realize, I want to show them that.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place or inappropriate, please move or delete if that's the case.

-Dan

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(previously
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #5 of 207 Old 06-26-2015, 05:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
Hey Everyone,

My name is Dan Grec, I previously drove a TJ 40,000 miles from the top of Alaska to the bottom of Argentina. (Summary and details of the trip on my website: The Road Chose Me)

It's been a long time in the making, and I'm bursting with excitement to announce my next Overland adventure:

Two years circumnavigating the African continent in my 2007 JKUR with custom diesel conversion, camper setup and more.

The Jeep build and all the details for preparation will be covered exclusively at JPFreek Adventure Magazine.

Checkout the latest issue for the trip announcement and details of the build: http://currentissue.jpfreek.com/publ...i=261662&p=116
Also I've got an announcement on my website with my personal feelings and thoughts: http://theroadchoseme.com/new-jeep-new-adventure-africa

I'll be posting regular updates on the build and the trip here too

I hope you'll join me for the ride.

-Dan

I work in Africa, or off the coast of Africa anyway. It sucks way out here too. The place is amazingly beautiful, but just as dangerous. Not only from the animals but from locals, (especially the locals)!

"Government is not the solution, it is the problem."
"We are never defeated unless we give up on GOD."
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
Ronald Reagan
Life is 10 percent what happens to you and 90 percent how you respond.
post #6 of 207 Old 06-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Granite Guru

Good luck, you'll need it. As Mac7 said, the natives are the animals!

The Alaska to Argentina run was cool, the Mercadies Diesel is also cool! Africa, not so cool because of the bad actors!

Last edited by Diesel Jeep; 06-26-2015 at 07:52 PM.
post #7 of 207 Old 06-26-2015, 07:43 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Good Luck. Hope you don't run in to these terrorist. Heard bad, bad things about them.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #8 of 207 Old 06-26-2015, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Jeep View Post
Good luck, you'll need it.
Lots of people said that about Alaska->Argentina too, and I had the time of my life, meeting tons of awesome locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Jeep View Post
The Alaska to Argentina run was cool, the Mercadies Diesel is also cool! Africa, not so cool because of the bad actors!
You're absolutely right that it's going to be a step up from the Pan American.

And that is precisely the reason why I'm setting out to do it.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #9 of 207 Old 06-26-2015, 09:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Checkout the latest issue for the trip announcement and details of the build: ...
-Dan
Quote:
This. Copy and paste your build thread here, you'll burst from excitement over and over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #10 of 207 Old 06-27-2015, 06:01 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

So how do you get sponsors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #11 of 207 Old 06-27-2015, 06:24 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Kissing ass, sucking up, brown nosing.
But damn if it isn’t effective.

On a serious note, how are you prepared to deal with an encounter with terrorist? Are you armed or do you have "contractors" driving with you?

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #12 of 207 Old 06-27-2015, 09:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Tolls? Have you paid them in the past and what are your intentions with that age old question as you go on this new adventure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb2010 View Post
As BSack would probably say, the rewards of doing for others while seeking nothing makes one rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Momma View Post
Had to google this...
post #13 of 207 Old 06-27-2015, 09:18 AM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

Quote:
D. I'm passionate about showing other people what's possible, and helping them get out there, so I want to spread the word about what I'm doing.

This kind of trip is much more realistic that most people realize, I want to show them that.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place or inappropriate, please move or delete if that's the case.

-Dan
I red thru the America's trek in the TJ. Pretty massive trip. Could you explain what you mean when you worded the following statement? "....This kind of trip is much more realistic that most people realize, I want to show them that...."
was realistic the word you were going-for , there?

Also, I notice your course planning is by-passing the only place ( well, Morocco would be cool; not William S. Bourroughs era cool but I like Falafel and Tabouli so...) I have ever desired visiting on the African continent; Namibia's Skeleton Coast. Is there a reason for not trekking thru & near this amazing area closer to the Ship graveyard and where the desert comes-down and meets the sea? seems like a no-brainer for an 'Overlander' passage unless it is because of PIRATES!

<edit: I meant to include that you should kiss-up to Chrysler/Fiat because you sound like you're building one of this years concept Jeeps.....wouldn't this be precisely what you are aiming for? >

ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 06-27-2015 at 09:27 AM.
post #14 of 207 Old 06-27-2015, 09:46 AM
Rock God

Garage

Cool trip. Bad timing. Your dotted line looks like you'll spend most of your time in the middle of chaos and death, with the occasional side trip through anarchy, rape, tribal warfare, religious genocide, disease and more death.

No telling how any of those places will change during the next two years, but I think it's safe to say it won't be for the better. I give you an 80% chance of getting killed outright and never heard from again. A 60% chance you get taken as a hostage where there's <3% chance of rescue. I'm also going to go with a 100% chance that at some point you'll wish you never started the trip.

Good Luck

Kevin
post #15 of 207 Old 06-27-2015, 09:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Cool trip. Bad timing. Your dotted line looks like you'll spend most of your time in the middle of chaos and death, with the occasional side trip through anarchy, rape, tribal warfare, religious genocide, disease and more death.

No telling how any of those places will change during the next two years, but I think it's safe to say it won't be for the better. I give you an 80% chance of getting killed outright and never heard from again. A 60% chance you get taken as a hostage where there's <3% chance of rescue. I'm also going to go with a 100% chance that at some point you'll wish you never started the trip.

Good Luck

Kevin
Sooooooooooooo, you're saying there's a chance he survives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb2010 View Post
As BSack would probably say, the rewards of doing for others while seeking nothing makes one rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Momma View Post
Had to google this...
post #16 of 207 Old 06-27-2015, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I just asked if they were interested in the trip.

It's important to note thought that for Alaksa->Argentina I didn't have a single sponsor. I didn't speak Spanish, and I'd never done anything like this before. I wanted to show people that it was completely possible for a regular guy with a bone-stock $6000 vehicle to drive Alaska->Argentina fairly cheaply (I ended up spending $27k in two years).

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #17 of 207 Old 06-27-2015, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
Tolls? Have you paid them in the past and what are your intentions with that age old question as you go on this new adventure?
Do you mean bribes?

I had around 40 bribery attempts from Alasksa->Argentina from the Police and Military, and I only paid one. It was $5 in Nicaragua because I was really tired and couldn't be bothered playing the game.

After I paid they were my best friends

The last two paragraphs of this post explain how most bribery attempts went. http://theroadchoseme.com/into-peru

WikiOverland has a good "general advice for bribery" page here http://wikioverland.org/Bribery_tips

Some friends that have circumnavigated Africa really emphasis how important it is to be polite and friendly to officials at border crossings. A smile and patience will go a long, long way.
Maybe giving away the odd cold coca-cola will help things too

-Dan

EDIT: Honduras was notorious when I drove across, my write-up talks a lot about the bribery that was attempted that day: http://theroadchoseme.com/across-honduras

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

Last edited by Grecy; 06-27-2015 at 10:15 AM.
post #18 of 207 Old 06-27-2015, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
I red thru the America's trek in the TJ. Pretty massive trip. Could you explain what you mean when you worded the following statement? "....This kind of trip is much more realistic that most people realize, I want to show them that...."
was realistic the word you were going-for , there?
You're right, I suppose I meant "do-able" or "achievable".
I drove a bone-stock $6000 TJ from Alaksa to Argentina, didn't speak Spanish and set off with $10k in the bank.
I think that's do-able for a lot of people living in Canada and the US.

I met tons of families driving with kids, and if you have house payments hopefully you can rent it out to cover the mortgage. I don't have either of those, and obviously they complicate things a bit, but then again, I wouldn't want to go if it was easy.

I honestly believe this kind of trip is much more do-able than most people realize, and it's seriously booming in popularity. There is a Facebook group for Pan-Am travelers that has 1,700 members, almost all of who have done it, or are doing it right now.

-Dan

Quote:
Also, I notice your course planning is by-passing the only place ( well, Morocco would be cool; not William S. Bourroughs era cool but I like Falafel and Tabouli so...) I have ever desired visiting on the African continent; Namibia's Skeleton Coast. Is there a reason for not trekking thru & near this amazing area closer to the Ship graveyard and where the desert comes-down and meets the sea? seems like a no-brainer for an 'Overlander' passage unless it is because of PIRATES!
My route map is very provisional right now, dependent on ebola, visas, political situations and everything else. I'm really focusing on the North-West right now - I can't decide if I'll go through all the little countries (that have Ebola right now) or cut across Mali and skip almost all of them.
Also the Angola visa is a pain. No solution to that yet.
I absolutely want to spend time on the skeleton coast - Actually right now I think Namibia is my #1 country - I'm really excited about everything it has, and it's relatively safe/easy.
Hopefully I can team up with some other Overlanders and get seriously remote on the Skeleton coast.

Quote:
<edit: I meant to include that you should kiss-up to Chrysler/Fiat because you sound like you're building one of this years concept Jeeps.....wouldn't this be precisely what you are aiming for? >
Yes, I was impressed when I saw the Africa concept as it's extremely close to what I've been planning/designing for 2+ years now. I would have love to see it at Overland Expo this year, but I couldn't make it.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

Last edited by Grecy; 06-27-2015 at 10:20 AM.
post #19 of 207 Old 06-27-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:

Good Luck

Kevin
Do you have first-hand experience from Africa?
Good friends of mine did basically my same route 2 years ago and never once encountered anything you're talking about.

That being said, other friends drove into Egypt the day before it went bad, then had a bit of an ordeal trying to get out safely again....

Obviously I'm taking a risk leaving the first world, though from all the first-hand reports I'm getting, it's a risk level I'm OK with.
I will have to reassess that on the ground, and keep my ears and eyes open about what's changing.
As you said, a lot will happen in 2+ years.

It will be difficult and dangerous (at times), but that's what makes it worth doing.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #20 of 207 Old 06-27-2015, 11:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Do you have first-hand experience from Africa?
Good friends of mine did basically my same route 2 years ago and never once encountered anything you're talking about.

That being said, other friends drove into Egypt the day before it went bad, then had a bit of an ordeal trying to get out safely again....

Obviously I'm taking a risk leaving the first world, though from all the first-hand reports I'm getting, it's a risk level I'm OK with.
I will have to reassess that on the ground, and keep my ears and eyes open about what's changing.
As you said, a lot will happen in 2+ years.

It will be difficult and dangerous (at times), but that's what makes it worth doing.

-Dan
I've been to Angola, Congo, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea and the island of Malabo, Cameroon, Nigeria and Ghana. I work offshore in the oil fields so I can't say I've spent a lot of time on land, and it's generally been in a secured compound. Most of the time the barges and boats have armed guards on board. Weather they had bullets, who knows. We did have a couple guys get kidnaped in Nigeria and one died due to catching malaria. The locals that I've interacted with had jobs and wanted to keep them and I have to say they were nice. But, there was a tribal mentality that let you know they didn't think the same way as us.

All I can say is that over there, human life doesn't have the same value as it does here. Throw religion on top of that and things can go sideways fast.

I applaud you on your endeavor. Just be very careful.

Kevin
post #21 of 207 Old 06-27-2015, 01:46 PM
Rock God

I am off the coast of Angola now and as of today it's been 9 days since there was AK47s on board. Yes it can be a dangerous place.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
Ronald Reagan
post #22 of 207 Old 06-27-2015, 02:08 PM
Rock God

Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

Double post

Ronald Reagan

Last edited by MAC7; 06-27-2015 at 03:38 PM.
post #23 of 207 Old 06-27-2015, 03:36 PM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

Quote:
Cool trip. Bad timing. Your dotted line looks like you'll spend most of your time in the middle of chaos and death, with the occasional side trip through anarchy, rape, tribal warfare, religious genocide, disease and more death.....
^ X2

just today ....http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/27...html?referrer=

I hope you are packing an A10-warthog on top of that JKU cause it's nuts on that continent ( at least what the media portends the social / economical climate is supposed to be ) .

Be safe .

ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ
post #24 of 207 Old 06-27-2015, 03:41 PM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

Quote:
You're right, I suppose I meant "do-able" or "achievable".
I drove a bone-stock $6000 TJ from Alaksa to Argentina, didn't speak Spanish and set off with $10k in the bank.
I think that's do-able for a lot of people living in Canada and the US.

I met tons of families driving with kids, and if you have house payments hopefully you can rent it out to cover the mortgage. I don't have either of those, and obviously they complicate things a bit, but then again, I wouldn't want to go if it was easy.

I honestly believe this kind of trip is much more do-able than most people realize, and it's seriously booming in popularity. There is a Facebook group for Pan-Am travelers that has 1,700 members, almost all of who have done it, or are doing it right now.

-Dan

My route map is very provisional right now, dependent on ebola, visas, political situations and everything else. I'm really focusing on the North-West right now - I can't decide if I'll go through all the little countries (that have Ebola right now) or cut across Mali and skip almost all of them.
Also the Angola visa is a pain. No solution to that yet.
I absolutely want to spend time on the skeleton coast - Actually right now I think Namibia is my #1 country - I'm really excited about everything it has, and it's relatively safe/easy.
Hopefully I can team up with some other Overlanders and get seriously remote on the Skeleton coast.

Yes, I was impressed when I saw the Africa concept as it's extremely close to what I've been planning/designing for 2+ years now. I would have love to see it at Overland Expo this year, but I couldn't make it.

-Dan
well, all pretty cool. I will bow to your bravery but having kids I will vicariously travel this trek through your info and updates ; once again , may they all be safe and awesome .

ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ
post #25 of 207 Old 06-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Plum Crazy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC7 View Post
I am off the coast of Angola now and as of today it's been 9 days since there was AK47s on board. Yes it can be a dangerous place.
Why are you there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode