JKOwners Forum banner

Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

86K views 404 replies 46 participants last post by  Grecy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

My name is Dan Grec, I previously drove a TJ 40,000 miles from the top of Alaska to the bottom of Argentina. (Summary and details of the trip on my website: The Road Chose Me)

It's been a long time in the making, and I'm bursting with excitement to announce my next Overland adventure:

Two years circumnavigating the African continent in my 2007 JKUR with custom diesel conversion, camper setup and more.

The Jeep build and all the details for preparation will be covered exclusively at JPFreek Adventure Magazine.

Checkout the latest issue for the trip announcement and details of the build: http://currentissue.jpfreek.com/publication/?i=261662&p=116
Also I've got an announcement on my website with my personal feelings and thoughts: http://theroadchoseme.com/new-jeep-new-adventure-africa

I'll be posting regular updates on the build and the trip here too

I hope you'll join me for the ride.

-Dan

See less See more
#286 ·
Was thinking the exact same thing about half way through that last video.

Reactions: Cod
#289 ·
Hey Everyone,

I am touring Angola and loving every second.

I spent some time in the capital of Luanda, visiting the War history museum and camping with a million dollar view on the waterfront for free!

More: Luanda | The Road Chose Me

I camped out at Piedras Negras (black Rocks) then visited the extremely impressive Kalandula Falls

More: Piedras Negras | The Road Chose Me
and
Kalandula Falls | The Road Chose Me

Now I'm out exploring around, with not particular goal in mind.
Evidence of the civil war is everywhere, including this Russian tank that dwarfed the Jeep.

More: Amazing Angola Pt. 1 | The Road Chose Me

I really love Angola, and already think I will extend my visa.

-Dan

#290 ·
Wow, I had absolutely no idea something like this existed in Angola. Sounds like it was a surprise to you too.

Now you're the guy everyone will point at and say,"Wow, look what just crawled out of the bush. Don't touch it kids, it's probably sick".

#291 ·
Hi All,

I am just getting over a second round of Malaria, which has been much, much worse than the first time.

I wrote about it so others can understand and learn what it's actually like to get Malaria while on the road.

Full story here: Malaria Round Two | The Road Chose Me

Yep, needles were involved

-Dan

#295 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

I have put the foot down and driven to South Africa to pickup The Big Freek, editor of JPFreek Adventure Magazine!

We'll roam the country for the next two weeks, finding what (mis)adventures we can!

All the updates will be on social media, be sure to follow on your platform of choice so you don't miss anything!

Instagram: theroadchoseme

Facebook: The Road Chose Me

Twitter: dangrec

-Dan

PS Rest assured I will loop around and fill in all the adventures I missed between where I left off and where I am now!

#297 ·
#298 ·
So, are you going to enter into this hyper-dangerous adventure with an expectation that US Military personnel will be asked to put their life on the line to save yours? Why not just drive around the USA stem to stern? Have you done that already?

#301 ·
Hi Everyone,

After 3,088 miles - by far the most in any country so far - it's time to say goodbye to Angola.

I have deeply loved this country, and I'm certain I will be back some day. After 6 weeks I have only scratched the surface.

More: Angola Ends | The Road Chose Me

I'm looking forward to Namibia!

-Dan

#302 ·
Merry Christmas everyone!

I have driven into Namibia, country number 18 - without any signs or warning, I swapped to driving on the left for the first time on the expedition.

This should be interesting!

More: Into Namibia | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

#303 ·
Question for ya.

How fast did it transition from jungle to what the first pics of Namibia look like.

What's the elevation?

Namibia looks like it could be any one of a million places in the states. Even half naked chicks willing to be filmed for an apple.:D

#304 ·
It happened in a matter of hours in Angola. It was something I had thought about for hundreds of hours and it was still a shock when it finally did. What a relief to be out of the jungle and humidity!

-Dan

#305 ·
Hey Everyone,

I have been exploring the extremely remote Namib Desert in the North West of Namibia.
It is absolutely spectacular. I'm wild camping every night and loving it!

Tons more photos here: The Namib Desert, Namibia Pt. 1 | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

#307 ·
Every 60-80 miles I come on a tiny, tiny settlement of a handful of people.
How they scratch a living is beyond me. There is essentially no water and nothing growing. It's incredible.

-Dan

#308 ·
Hi All,

It's been 18 months through 18 countries, and I'm not even half way around Afirca!
How long is this going to take?!?

To be honest, I don't have a firm answer. I'm terrible at predicting timelines.
I'd say it's somewhere between 8-18 months more up to Egypt, but that's just a guess.

Also, a new member has joined the team!

Read the whole explanation and rationale:
Timelines and Teammates | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

#311 ·
Hi All,

We have reached the Coast in Namibia, and I push the Jeep hard in the big dunes to get to the Sandwhich Harbor area of the Skeleton Coast!

More:Around Sandwich Harbor | The Road Chose Me

With the KO2s down to 10psi the Jeep did great on the dunes.
With all the weight there were plenty I couldn't get up without staying in tire tracks.

-Dan

#314 ·
Hi All,

We've been exploring down more dry riverbeds and bumping into all kinds of wildlife.

Also, this might just be the best wild camp of the entire expeidtion. Elevated above the riverbed waiting for animals to wander by!

And then back to the desert

Tons more pics: Riverbeds, Deserts and Wildlife | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.