Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me - Page 8 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #176 of 228 Old 12-23-2016, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Now that looks like Africa. What kind of wildlife do you see there?

Make sure you post pics of the falls on your site or here.

Stay safe.
Thanks!
So far I have seen monkeys, Chimpanzees, warthogs, vultures and hippos.
Nothing "big" yet, most of those have been hunted to extinction in West Africa. The big wildlife will all be when I get to Southern and eastern Africa.

Here are the falls I got to: https://www.instagram.com/p/BOX_Xhwj...theroadchoseme

-Dan

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(previously
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #177 of 228 Old 12-23-2016, 10:34 PM
Rock God

Garage

Wholly shit. Big, beautiful and wild.

Simply amazing.

Kevin
post #178 of 228 Old 12-26-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Merry Christmas all!

I made my way to Maliville in the far North of Guinea on the worst roads yet!

Read the full story here:
Maliville | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

post #179 of 228 Old 12-28-2016, 12:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

Merry late Christmas.

Those pictures are fantastic.

Probably a good idea not buying gas out of bottles.

Kevin
post #180 of 228 Old 12-31-2016, 03:10 PM
Rock God

Garage

Just a tip. Those might not be fireworks you hear tonight.

Stay low.

Kevin
post #181 of 228 Old 01-01-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

Happy New Year!

I am roaming around the mountains and waterfalls of Central Guinea.

Read why I avoid driving in the dark while on Expedition: Around Central Guinea | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #182 of 228 Old 01-01-2017, 11:34 PM
Rock God

Garage

This looks incredible.

Kevin
post #183 of 228 Old 01-02-2017, 05:03 PM
JKO Addict!

You are still alive? Damn. Good on ya, and good luck.

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”― Ronald Reagan
post #184 of 228 Old 01-06-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

I've stumbled across the the best hiking in West Africa!
Happily hiking is my favorite thing ever.

Read More here: Hiking in Doucki, The Fouta Djallon part 1 | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #185 of 228 Old 01-10-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The hiking in Guinea is blowing my mind!!

Why did nobody ever tell me about it? How have I never seen pictures before?

Oh yeah, it's because there are virtually ZERO tourists in Guinea!

See tons more pictures here: Hiking in Doucki, The Fouta Djallon part 2 | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #186 of 228 Old 01-14-2017, 11:36 PM
Rock God

Garage

That is unbelievable. Wow, is almost an understatement.

Kevin
post #187 of 228 Old 01-18-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Wow feels like an understatement to describe Guinea, for sure!!

I'm loving every second of exploring Guinea, though my time is coming to a close!

Read more: More Exploring Guinea | The Road Chose Me

Which way do you guys think I should go next? North to Mali, or continue around the coast to Sierra Leon?
I'm on the fence.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #188 of 228 Old 01-20-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

The West African mud pits have begun!
This is a highway in Guinea in the North from Koundára to Labé. National Route something something. The Chinese were building a section of it, this is a bit they hadn't got to yet.
The trucks had been stuck there for days, I walked right through it.

It's a video - embedding it seems to be too hard.

Check it out here on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPfgRyXj...theroadchoseme
or here on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theroadchos...4765884740943/

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #189 of 228 Old 01-23-2017, 09:16 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
Wow feels like an understatement to describe Guinea, for sure!!

I'm loving every second of exploring Guinea, though my time is coming to a close!

Read more: More Exploring Guinea | The Road Chose Me

Which way do you guys think I should go next? North to Mali, or continue around the coast to Sierra Leon?
I'm on the fence.

-Dan

Hey Dan,

Found this thread this morning (New Jeep Owner of 4 months and new to this forum for about a week) and just read the whole thing from day 1, visited your site (theroadchoseme.com) and read a few pages w/the threads. All I can say is wow.... At first when I was reading the Diesel build, I was excited to see it come to life. When it died, I was a little bummed out to see it go away. Then, when I saw it come back to life, I wanted to read all about it. I haven't watched the videos yet or been through all your website but will in my spare time in the evenings.

It's pretty cool to read and see what you are living regardless of you doing it in a Jeep or not. I think that most of us would love to be the passenger in your rig or be following you with our own rigs in a small convoy. I think most would be very pleased just to cross the US (or Canada for me) in such a wilderness trek.

I must admit, in the beginning, even I with no knowledge of Africa, I was worried because of all we hear about Africa, death/disease/pirates etc... Now after reading your journey, not that it seems easy or a 100% safe and all good, but... it seems quite enjoyable and beautiful to be traveling to those remote destinations... Hell, I think most places you visited are probably much safer than most bad parts of Detroit and most good ones after dark... LOL

I'm enjoying your write-ups and love the pictures. I especially like the picture of the Tourisme Office in Mali with the number of tourists visiting there each year.

I wish you luck, health and safety and will keep reading your adventures as you post them. Thanks for sharing them with us...

~

Mario

“Aerodynamics is for people who don't know how to build engines.” - Enzo Ferrari
“AMG, it’s not a car, it’s an Animal, you don't drive it, you cling on for dear life.” - Jeremy Clarkson

"I can go fast ^ Now I can go anywhere..." - Jeep
"The Jeep is the only true American sports car" - Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by Magnum6466; 01-23-2017 at 10:15 AM.
post #190 of 228 Old 01-23-2017, 12:35 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Hi All,

The West African mud pits have begun!
This is a highway in Guinea in the North from Koundára to Labé. National Route something something. The Chinese were building a section of it, this is a bit they hadn't got to yet.
The trucks had been stuck there for days, I walked right through it.

It's a video - embedding it seems to be too hard.

Check it out here on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPfgRyXj...theroadchoseme
or here on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theroadchos...4765884740943/
-Dan

Red mud!

Question. Who did you have holding the camera? A local? Maybe a truck driver?

Kevin
post #191 of 228 Old 01-27-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Red mud!

Question. Who did you have holding the camera? A local? Maybe a truck driver?
I had a hitch hiker with me for that day, and I sent him out through the mud

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #192 of 228 Old 01-27-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi Everyone,

I have driven into Mali, Africa country number 7!

Read the whole story of the border crossing here: Into Mali | The Road Chose Me

I also just posted this video of crossing a swing bridge it Guinea over a swollen river.
What do you think, would you mess around on this bridge?

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #193 of 228 Old 01-27-2017, 04:39 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'd like to say I'd make it as far as you did. But it would probably be a lie.

Beautiful falls. I'd have seen them first hand if I tried that bridge.

Kevin
post #194 of 228 Old 01-31-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'm checking out Sibi, a beautiful town in Southern Mali.

Obviously I'm keeping up to date on the safety situation in Mali, and talking to lots and lots of people about the reality on the ground.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to go North to the Doggone Country due to all the fighting there, the Mali military will actually stop me if I even try.
Read more: Sibi, Mali | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #195 of 228 Old 01-31-2017, 01:14 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I have driven into Mali, Africa country number 7!

Read the whole story of the border crossing here: Into Mali | The Road Chose Me

I also just posted this video of crossing a swing bridge it Guinea over a swollen river.
What do you think, would you mess around on this bridge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NLs5SHOdpY

-Dan
Not no but hell fucking no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #196 of 228 Old 01-31-2017, 04:38 PM
Rock God

Garage

Ya, I'd think gun fire would ruin the cool trip.

You mention the rains slowing up. What are the temps like?

Kevin
post #197 of 228 Old 03-01-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:

You mention the rains slowing up. What are the temps like?
Around 110F during the day, and still seriously hot and humid overnight, making it very, very hard to sleep.

I have driven from Mali into Ivory Coast, African country number eight!

Read all about the very stern bribery attempt here: Into Ivory Coast | The Road Chose Me

Here's the international border:

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #198 of 228 Old 03-04-2017, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I just paid the biggest bribe of my life.

I'm really not happy about it, though I was rattled and I'm happy to still be in possession of the Jeep.

Read the full story here: Ivory Coast Begins | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #199 of 228 Old 03-05-2017, 09:00 AM
Rock God

Garage

Never trust a guy with more than one gold watch, who can't afford a gold watch to begin with.

Sometimes it might just be better to play their games.

Kevin
post #200 of 228 Old 03-14-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi all,

I have made my way South in Ivory Coast, and the roads deteriorated very, very quickly.
10 hours of driving for 40 miles. Trucks stuck for a week.
This is the West Africa I dreamed about !

National Park Tai | The Road Chose Me

-Dan
RubiCajun likes this.

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode