Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me - Page 7 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 235 Old 10-03-2016, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

I have driven into Gambia, country #4.
After hours of arguing, I ended up paying my first bribe, unfortunately.
Read the full story here:
Into Gambia | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(previously
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 235 Old 10-05-2016, 12:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
I'm learning French as fast as I can, it's the most widely spoken. A couple of countries on the West coast are Portuguese, none are Spanish.

I also learn a couple of words in the local African language (hi, thanks, yes) and it makes people extremely happy!

-Dan
Portuguese. That's what I was thinking of. It sounds a lot like Spanish. That was around Equatorial Guinea

Kevin
post #153 of 235 Old 10-07-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Portuguese. That's what I was thinking of. It sounds a lot like Spanish. That was around Equatorial Guinea
Poruguese is the official language of Guinea-Bissau and Angola.

It's similar enough to Spanish to get me into trouble - ie. some words are the same, but not quite enough for my Spanish to get my by.

I don't know about Equatorial Guinea, as a non-US citizen it's essentially impossible for me to get a visa to go there, and I doubt I'd want to anyway, given it's often ranked the most corrupt country in the world.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

post #154 of 235 Old 10-07-2016, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey Everyone,

Here's how it looked driving across Mauritania, skirting the edge of the Sahara desert.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #155 of 235 Old 10-09-2016, 01:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So how has cell service been? Have you had it most of the time? Fuel? Easy to find?

Kevin
post #156 of 235 Old 10-15-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
So how has cell service been? Have you had it most of the time? Fuel? Easy to find?
I don't have a phone.

Every station I have been to has had Gas and Diesel no worries - except in Mauritania where I drove across without buying any

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #157 of 235 Old 10-15-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey all,

I've been hanging out around The Gambia River, and spotted my first Hippo!
And my first Chimpanzee!

...And my first Ebola warning sign... then I got horribly sick. Damn.

Read the whole story here: Georgetown and The River Gambia | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #158 of 235 Old 10-19-2016, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey All,

Another day, another bribery attempt foiled!

Also, 9 hours to catch a single ferry - a new record for me!

Read the whole story: Around Banjul | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #159 of 235 Old 10-21-2016, 11:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Very cool to see all the old history and wildlife. A couple pictures on your site looked like there were dark clouds in the sky. Have you had any rain yet?

Keep the updates coming, you living my dream.

Kevin
post #160 of 235 Old 10-21-2016, 05:51 PM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage
Thumbs up

this, Dan.

All the planning and talking about this ,back when you joined the forum ; this is the pay off .
Look at that awesome Jeep you built and where it sits , optimally parked to optimize water availability under a bloody Baobab Tree in outer Gambia.
I would be immensely proud of accomplishing this & sure am glad to be able to thank-you (very much) for your excellent documentation of the buildup-to and ultimately, this fine trip /life experience which you're on at the moment.Keep having fun and I am just one of the many folks that are enjoying vicariously traveling around what is seemingly a beautiful continent and people, thanks to you.
Jeep On, dude.

ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 10-21-2016 at 05:57 PM.
post #161 of 235 Old 10-22-2016, 01:32 PM
V8 dreams

no way i could keep my cool getting haggled that often, kudos to you

2010 Silver JKU
post #162 of 235 Old 10-30-2016, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey All,

I have just posted a video of my time in Senegal - which shaped up to be the Africa I have been dreaming of - colorful, friendly people, and street parties!

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #163 of 235 Old 10-31-2016, 08:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Now that looks like a cool stop.

Your luck = show up the day of a party.

My luck = show up the day of a outbreak or coup.

Kevin
post #164 of 235 Old 11-01-2016, 07:08 AM
Rock God

^^ HAHA

I told a couple that I did a loan for about your website. They were nomads and did a 18 month trek around the US and Mexico. Stopped for a year bought a small place now sold it and now they are back out there doing it again. Cool stories they had, just like you do.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #165 of 235 Old 11-13-2016, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey all,

Thanks to my useless timing, it now rains every single day for between 8 and 10 hours.
It's the hardest rain I have ever seen in my life, and is usually acomanied by a massive thunder and lightning storm.
More than a few times the boom of thunder is so close it rattles the Jeep while I am asleep upstairs....

Checkout my pics here: Southern Senegal ? Casamance Part 2 | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #166 of 235 Old 11-13-2016, 03:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Monsoon season has real meaning there. Beautiful country.

So now that you've been at it for a while, any comments on how your setup in the Jeep is working out? Anything you wish you had done, or wished you didn't do?

Kevin
post #167 of 235 Old 11-16-2016, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have driven into African country #5, Guinea-Bissau.

Amazingly, the bribery games are identical to my one day crossing of Honduras a few years back.

Read all about it here: Into Guinea-Bissau | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #168 of 235 Old 11-17-2016, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey guys,

Here's how Gambia looked in video format!

-Dan
redbank likes this.

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #169 of 235 Old 11-18-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey Jeepers,

I have finally written up an article on the Recovery Gear, Tools and Spares I am carrying for two years around Africa.

Find the article at JPFREEK.COM here: Recovery, Tools & Spares for 2 years in Africa - JPFreek

What would you bring that I don't have?
What would you leave behind?

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #170 of 235 Old 11-18-2016, 06:34 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Stay safe over there!

2010 JK
2.5" RK, 4.56 gears, Detriot Trutracs F/R, Or-Fab front cage, Synergy rear cage, Mastercraft Baja RS seats, and a ton of other mods!
post #171 of 235 Old 12-16-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

I have driven into Guinea, African country number 6 !

I'm excited to see mountains right off the bat. This is going to be great!

Read more: Into Guinea | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #172 of 235 Old 12-16-2016, 02:24 PM
Granite Guru

Weren't you supposed to be staked to an anthill and left to die, or something by now? it sounds like a great trip, and am glad I get to live vicariously through you.
post #173 of 235 Old 12-17-2016, 10:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Scooter View Post
Weren't you supposed to be staked to an anthill and left to die, or something by now? it sounds like a great trip, and am glad I get to live vicariously through you.
I think he already joined Boka Haraim. That gets him a free pass everywhere.

But ya, it's very cool to watch his trip move along.

Kevin
post #174 of 235 Old 12-21-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey All,

I'm exploring the North of Guinea and absolutely loving it.

Small jungle tracks that lead to massive waterfalls are becoming my favorite thing!

Read more here: Northern Guinea | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #175 of 235 Old 12-22-2016, 12:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Now that looks like Africa. What kind of wildlife do you see there?

Make sure you post pics of the falls on your site or here.

Stay safe.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode