Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me - Page 5 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 207 Old 04-21-2016, 11:14 AM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

you completed the build in great time .
Keep us up-to-date on your (safe!) travels. IMHO, you could not have chosen a better tire to trust for an epic trip such as you are planning on taking. I was,however, left wondering what "plastic caps on the OEM lugnuts" that you reference? I haven't had OEM lugs on my JKU in years but did I actually miss some part of them being made from a freaking plastic?

lllllll '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 207 Old 04-22-2016, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
you completed the build in great time .
Keep us up-to-date on your (safe!) travels. IMHO, you could not have chosen a better tire to trust for an epic trip such as you are planning on taking. I was,however, left wondering what "plastic caps on the OEM lugnuts" that you reference? I haven't had OEM lugs on my JKU in years but did I actually miss some part of them being made from a freaking plastic?
Thanks!

Yep, the OEM lugs have plastic caps over steel that get crushed/break/wear out over time. It got to the point I couldn't get the stock wrench onto about 5 of them.

This thread has pics of the "cap" off the lug: broken lug nuts?? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

I'm happy to be rid of them - they gave me trouble in Argentina on my last trip.

-Dan

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(previously
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #103 of 207 Old 04-23-2016, 07:17 AM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

well I'll be darned. I had no idea that the factory lugs were capped with false chrome. I removed them within the 1st 3 months I had the Jeep new so never knew. I would have been extremely POed if I had experienced that on a 'Trail Rated' MallCrawler. They left no corner cost uncut, it seems......plastic capped lugs, indeed, Chrysler........

lllllll '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ

post #104 of 207 Old 04-26-2016, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

Over the last couple of days I drove over to Nova Scotia, I'm organizing shipping to Europe now.

For 1000 miles I kept the cruise at 62 mph. Big rolling hills on the highway, some requiring 5th gear.
The Jeep is now at full expedition trim and weight with the top, tires, wheels, lift, full tank of drinking water and all my stuff inside.

Using GPS speed and distance I hand calculated 18.4mpg (US).

With the 13.8 gallon Titan Fuel Tank mounted to the tire carrier my total range is ~650 miles.

I'm very happy with that!

(Metric: The Jeep is getting 12.8L/100km, with the 52L Titan Fuel Tank on the tire carrier I have a total range of 1050km.)

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #105 of 207 Old 04-26-2016, 08:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
Hi All,

Over the last couple of days I drove over to Nova Scotia, I'm organizing shipping to Europe now.

For 1000 miles I kept the cruise at 62 mph. Big rolling hills on the highway, some requiring 5th gear.
The Jeep is now at full expedition trim and weight with the top, tires, wheels, lift, full tank of drinking water and all my stuff inside.

Using GPS speed and distance I hand calculated 18.4mpg (US).

With the 13.8 gallon Titan Fuel Tank mounted to the tire carrier my total range is ~650 miles.

I'm very happy with that!

(Metric: The Jeep is getting 12.8L/100km, with the 52L Titan Fuel Tank on the tire carrier I have a total range of 1050km.)

-Dan
Well good luck Dan.

Did you get it weighed in full expedition trim?

Kevin
post #106 of 207 Old 04-27-2016, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Well good luck Dan.

Did you get it weighed in full expedition trim?
Not yet, it's on my to-do list before it goes into a container.
I'll post up when I do.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #107 of 207 Old 04-27-2016, 10:12 AM
Rock God

Sweet build. Not bad mileage when keeping the speed down.

Good luck.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #108 of 207 Old 04-28-2016, 11:42 AM
Wheeler

wow at the initial responses to your journey, what a great introduction to this site.

Anyhow, this expedition of yours is super inspiring. I always figured something like this would be possible to do but you are outlining everything and its very intriguing. As a photographer my main goal is to shoot for an expedition build, but my trips will not be 2 years long haha. At least not yet.

I applaud all you are doing to get this going and to keep on pushing it. You will def be getting a new follower on instagram from me, @ josephdalcour.

Cant wait to see your journey begin!

15JKWW
2.5" RK X Fact
Toyo/Method
post #109 of 207 Old 04-29-2016, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalcour View Post
wow at the initial responses to your journey, what a great introduction to this site.

Anyhow, this expedition of yours is super inspiring. I always figured something like this would be possible to do but you are outlining everything and its very intriguing. As a photographer my main goal is to shoot for an expedition build, but my trips will not be 2 years long haha. At least not yet.

I applaud all you are doing to get this going and to keep on pushing it. You will def be getting a new follower on instagram from me, @ josephdalcour.

Cant wait to see your journey begin!
Thanks for the kind words!
I like to show people what's possible if you're willing to put in the hard work to save money and plan. Years of saving means years of adventure
Checkout my Alaska->Argentina drive too - that is one very do-able. It still blows my mind any one in North America can drive down to Panama, right now in just a few weeks without any hassle. You don't even have to per-organize anything. Just a passport and go.

Adventure is out there, you just have to want it badly enough.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #110 of 207 Old 04-29-2016, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Finally got the completed Jeep on the scale today.

Final trim, with everything coming to Africa. 1/2 tank of gas, 1/2 tank of water and 180lbs of Dan in the driver's seat. (Titan fuel tank empty)

5980 lbs.

That's a few hundred heavier than I was aiming for, though it is what it is at this point.

Also I've been out camping around Cape Brenton Island, and it should be in a shipping container on Wednesday.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #111 of 207 Old 05-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Wheeler

Never stop exploring!

15JKWW
2.5" RK X Fact
Toyo/Method
post #112 of 207 Old 05-03-2016, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The PR Team at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles filmed a short interview with me and my Jeep when I was at HQ near Detroit a few weeks back.

I'm pinching myself right now, and extremely excited to be working with them.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #113 of 207 Old 05-03-2016, 08:37 AM
Wheeler

Awesome! so will you be giving them updates whenever you reach wifi?

15JKWW
2.5" RK X Fact
Toyo/Method
post #114 of 207 Old 05-03-2016, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Awesome! so will you be giving them updates whenever you reach wifi?
Yep, the plan is to update them a few times throughout the trip.

I'll also be writing for JPFreek Adventure Magazine, updating my website theroadchoseme.com and filming a series on my You Tube channel.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #115 of 207 Old 05-03-2016, 01:51 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
Yep, the plan is to update them a few times throughout the trip.

I'll also be writing for JPFreek Adventure Magazine, updating my website theroadchoseme.com and filming a series on my You Tube channel.

-Dan
sounds good! do you know what day exactly you will be out there?

The people over at JPFreek are good company. Im doing a short write up for them on night photography and some of my night shots of my jeep soon.

15JKWW
2.5" RK X Fact
Toyo/Method
post #116 of 207 Old 05-04-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
sounds good! do you know what day exactly you will be out there?

The people over at JPFreek are good company. Im doing a short write up for them on night photography and some of my night shots of my jeep soon.
When will I be in Africa?
The Jeep will be loaded into a shipping container tomorrow, it arrives in Europe in the last week of May. I'll drive it down and should be in Morocco for June 1st.

Yep, JPFreek Adventure Magazine is awesome, I'm so happy to be working with them

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #117 of 207 Old 05-12-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I've spent days editing together the first video for YouTube, all about my previous trip, upcoming trip and the Jeep build.

Here's a sneak peak:

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #118 of 207 Old 05-15-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My adventures have caught the eye of Jeep, who just released my story as part of the #MyJeepStory campaign for their 75th anniversary.

I am extremely proud to know they are as excited as I am

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #119 of 207 Old 05-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Rock God

Garage

Very cool video. You'll be arriving in Africa just in time for summer.

Hell, get Jeep to pay for your fuel. If they want to use you as a marketing tool, tools cost money.

Kevin
post #120 of 207 Old 05-21-2016, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The Road Chose Me is now in video format!

I'll be filming the entire adventure, and this first video recaps my Alaska->Argentina adventure, and lays out the plan for Africa.

I hope you'll follow along!

I'd love to hear any and all feedback from you guys too - what do you want me to include, what do you want me to forget out?
What would you like to see in these videos?

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #121 of 207 Old 05-27-2016, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

People have asked for years how I can afford to do these trips, and why they have to go to work and I don't.

To answer all of those questions, I've written my first book, called "Work Less to Live Your Dreams: a practical guide to saving money and living your dreams".

In it I describe exactly how I'm able to save money, quit my job and do these kind of epic trips.
It's how I paid for 2 years from Alaska->Argentina and it's how I am paying for 2 years around Africa.

You can read the introduction and see my details on my site here : Work Less to Live Your Dreams

and you can buy the book directly on Amazon here: Work Less to Live Your Dreams Amazon Link

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #122 of 207 Old 05-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Wheeler

What an incredible journey!!
post #123 of 207 Old 06-13-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

I've just posted all the details on how I shipped the Jeep from North America to Europe, including final price:

Shipping a Vehicle from North America to Europe | The road chose me

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #124 of 207 Old 06-13-2016, 02:54 PM
Wheeler

Nice write up, read the whole thing, interesting.

15JKWW
2.5" RK X Fact
Toyo/Method
post #125 of 207 Old 06-20-2016, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Part 2 of the Jeep build is now live on YouTube:

Let me know what you think!

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

Last edited by Grecy; 06-20-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode