Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me - Page 4 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 207 Old 01-14-2016, 01:29 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
I hope the 3-way thread doesn't end this way:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Palmer

Hi Everyone,

Here's a curve ball for the plan - the Fapomatic engine sucked leaking previews and ran away, revving at 7k for 5-10 seconds. Scary stuff indeed.
We're pretty sure nuts came completely unglued, and the engine is dead.

After all of this, with all of the money and time invested, I've decided to sell the dream and cut my losses.

For sale thread here: Three-Way opprotunity

I'm fighting to still get myself hard and to come on that front soon.

Always an adventure, even when unplanned!

-Disappointed
That's pretty fucked up, Your Sackness . . .

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 207 Old 01-14-2016, 01:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
That's pretty fucked up, Your Sackness . . .
You son of a gun. I love what you did there. The link was very slickly done.
1st IBTM?

I'm getting confused, posts for the 3-way thread are popping up in irrelevant threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer View Post
I hear ya. Around here, I'll still grab my 29" over a fatty when it's summer unless I'm going camping, then I take the fatty. Easier to haul a load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb2010 View Post
As BSack would probably say, the rewards of doing for others while seeking nothing makes one rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Momma View Post
Had to google this...

Last edited by bsack; 01-14-2016 at 01:57 PM.
post #78 of 207 Old 01-14-2016, 05:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

Looking at the bright side. He might just live longer this way.

Kevin

post #79 of 207 Old 01-14-2016, 06:05 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Look at the bright side. At least you won't have to worry about being captured by that terrorist group, Procul Harum.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #80 of 207 Old 03-07-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey Everyone,

I've had a challenging few months, and I'm more than overdue to give you all an update.

All the details of what happened and the path forward to Africa are in today's issue of JPFreek Adventure Magazine

I feel extremely lucky to be supported by new friends and family, without their support I don't think I would have found a way forward.

Tons of details in the coming days and weeks,

-Dan

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #81 of 207 Old 03-07-2016, 07:34 PM
JKowners Vendor

Sounds like a real emotional roller coaster ride. You've hit the low spot, now time to move on to the high spots! Carry on!

Join us on

901-214-JEEP (5337)

post #82 of 207 Old 03-09-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Phase two of the Africa Jeep build is now complete.

Tons and tons of pictures here: http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-build-phase-2-complete

Onwards to the final piece, EJS, then Africa.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #83 of 207 Old 03-09-2016, 04:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
Phase two of the Africa Jeep build is now complete.

Tons and tons of pictures here: http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-build-phase-2-complete

Onwards to the final piece, EJS, then Africa.

-Dan
Super excited for you and the help from Richard..... and definitely don't want to be a buzz kill but my cousin was planning a trip around Africa and ran into a spicy Cuba named Estaban who was gonna help make his dream a reality. 5 yrs and 3 domestic violence beefs later and those two are still living on a futon in my living room in violation of their restraining order. Just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb2010 View Post
As BSack would probably say, the rewards of doing for others while seeking nothing makes one rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Momma View Post
Had to google this...
post #84 of 207 Old 03-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Here's the deal-

Contrary to what some of you may think, some non-tech threads are not to be screwed up with stupid off-topic comments... even in chat.

So... Next person to come into this thread with some juvenile bs comment will be banned. I'm not going to draw it out for anyone because we're all adults here. Just suffice it to say that you might want to think twice before hitting that "submit" button.

Some of you guys really should be embarrassed for showing such lack of courtesy and using JKO as your own litter-box.

OP- Moving to Scrapbook sub-forum.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #85 of 207 Old 03-14-2016, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Here's another pic, I really loved this spot, and it's the last night I'll ever ground tent with this Jeep

http://instagram.com/p/BC9qRJOlBJA/

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #86 of 207 Old 03-15-2016, 07:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

I read your article and some of your blog at one point. I was a bit disappointed though. I like the tech aspects of your ex-merc diesel as much as the idea of old school trail breaking.
Unfortunately you gloss over the important details saying it is too complicated to explain.
Fitting a diesel was hard, no doubt, but how was it done? What was the biggest issue?
Why could you not pop the body and fit another? You know it fits, lifting the body takes a couple hours, not even a day. Had to have been cheaper,easier and faster than buying a new one and swapping your parts.
I am sure that your articles would be well recieved if you put a bit more actual information in them.
I started following you in instagerm, hopeful for some good pics of your adventure.

Last edited by coilrod; 03-15-2016 at 07:07 AM.
post #87 of 207 Old 03-15-2016, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
I read your article and some of your blog at one point. I was a bit disappointed though. I like the tech aspects of your ex-merc diesel as much as the idea of old school trail breaking.
Unfortunately you gloss over the important details saying it is too complicated to explain.
Fitting a diesel was hard, no doubt, but how was it done? What was the biggest issue?
Why could you not pop the body and fit another? You know it fits, lifting the body takes a couple hours, not even a day. Had to have been cheaper,easier and faster than buying a new one and swapping your parts.
I am sure that your articles would be well recieved if you put a bit more actual information in them.
I started following you in instagerm, hopeful for some good pics of your adventure.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll take that on board and improve my posts.

I paid a mechanic to install the diesel, because it's over my head as a backyard mechanic. There were numerous issues and workarounds and custom fab jobs, all of which I wasn't very involved in, and honestly don't have the skills to do, or really explain.

I have no house, no tools, no job, and no ability to lift the body or do a major swap like that. Sourcing another OM606 would have been a month or more, as would have swapping everything over (oil pump, oil pan, injection pump with timing, adapter, etc. etc.). I don't have time or money for that. I burnt money every day I hung around waiting for it, and if I spent any more money or time on it, I wouldn't have enough to go to Africa.

With my current situation it just wasn't meant to be, and I had to choose between having a diesel JK, or going to Africa. It sucks, but that's the way it goes.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #88 of 207 Old 03-15-2016, 08:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

Thanks for the honesty, I was hoping to see how the diesel shop worked the body control module feed, but moving on.
When do you leave, and how are you getting your 'new' jk over the water?
post #89 of 207 Old 03-15-2016, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
Thanks for the honesty, I was hoping to see how the diesel shop worked the body control module feed, but moving on.
When do you leave, and how are you getting your 'new' jk over the water?
There is nothing that needs doing to the BCM.
You have to trick the crank sensor (use a trigger wheel and the original sensor) and some people have to trick the cam sensor with another trigger wheel, some people do not.
Mine sometimes worked best with the cam sensor plugged in, sometimes best without it, though we also had problems with my TIPM that we discovered literally 30 mins before it blew up.
Look at what guys are doing who use a 4BT to trick the Jeep computers.

I was even told it's possible to delete lots of sensors from the stock PCM so even the check engine light won't be on - stuff like 02 sensors, etc.

Heading to EJS in a couple of days, then jetting to the east coast.
I'll load the jeep into a shipping container to get it across the ocean, exact details to be determined.
Hope to be in Africa for late May / early June.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #90 of 207 Old 03-15-2016, 06:37 PM
Granite Guru

Glad it's going forward again. It should be an interesting ride. Can't wait to see how it all works out.
post #91 of 207 Old 03-15-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I spent a few days in San Diego hanging out with John and the crew at Ursa Minor while the fitted and modified my J30.

Read the whole story here: http://theroadchoseme.com/ursa-minor-j30-pop-up-camper

To say that I'm extremely impressed and happy is a massive understatement.
This top is a complete game changer.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #92 of 207 Old 03-18-2016, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The Jeep Build is complete, I'm ready for EJS then Africa.

Details include Renogy lightweight solar panels and charge conroller, ARB awning & compressor, new wheels, and some decals.

http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-build-complete

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #93 of 207 Old 03-18-2016, 10:47 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
The Jeep Build is complete, I'm ready for EJS then Africa.

-Dan
That's great! Congratulations on hitting a milestone.

Here's hoping the "road ahead" is a smooth one for you.

Stay safe, thanks for sharing, and please keep us updated.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #94 of 207 Old 03-20-2016, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'm having a great time hanging out at EJS, so many unreal rigs getting around

http://instagram.com/p/BDM8t1hFBAK/

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #95 of 207 Old 03-23-2016, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I ran part of Hells Revenge yesterday, it was unreal.

I went into the Escalator, did trail work with great people from Tread Lightly then turned around and came back out.
I was told my Jeep would have gone right through, doing all the drive arounds obviously.

AEV 2.5", stock Rubicon 32" tires, jeep didn't scrape once.

I'm extremely happy to have gotten the Rubicon now, the crawl speed of low range 1st gear is impressive.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #96 of 207 Old 04-04-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi all,

I had an awesome time at EJS in Moab, it really is a Jeep addicts dream.
I'm in Michigan now, getting closer to the coast to ship the Jeep over the Atlantic.

Living in the Jeep for a few weeks has promoted me to make all kinds of minor tweaks and adjustments for living convenience.

Space has always been at a premium, so I made a cutlery/tool holder on my Trailgator Tailgate Table, so I can leave often-used items there when the table is closed.

Let me know if you would like me to write up a HOW-TO article so you can make your own.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #97 of 207 Old 04-07-2016, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

I spent a lot of time thinking about and researching wheel and tire choice for the trip.

I've written up a piece explaining all my thinking, and what I'm running.

I've also compared the stock Rubicon BFG Mud-Terrain in 255/75r17 to the BFG KO2 All-Terrain in 34x10.5r17

Read the whole article at: Tire Selection - BFG KO2 All-Terrain - JPFreek Adventure Magazine

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #98 of 207 Old 04-11-2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I spent the whole weekend wrenching on the Jeep while it was sleeting outside.

On the advice of many, and with the help of the editor of JPFreek Adventure Magazine, we installed Rugged Ridge HD Ball Joints, U-Joints, Tie Rod Ends and drag link end.
While we were in there we put on new unit bearings so I don't have to think about them again for the whole trip.

The old ball joints took some convincing to come out!

We then installed a Rugged Ridge engine and transmission skid plate, which is very beefy and give me great piece of mind I won't crunch my oil pan.

Also put on all-steel black lug nuts and locking nuts. None too soon either, the crappy plastic caps were falling off the OEM lugs and were very hard to get off.

Finally I put on a set of neoprene seat covers.

I need to get moving further East, aiming to ship before the end of the month.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #99 of 207 Old 04-13-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Just had the most exciting meeting of my life at Chrysler HQ showing off the Jeep to some Jeep Execs

Pictures here: https://facebook.com/theroadchoseme

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #100 of 207 Old 04-21-2016, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Some people asked for more details on the BFG KO2s in 34x10.5R17 that I'm running

My JKUR is heavy, I have not weighed it yet, but likely 5500-6000lbs I think.
I'm running 36 psi in the tires.
It was hard to hold the tape and the camera, the tires are 32" or maybe 32.25" at the highest point.

And with the AEV 2.5" lift, all four stock fender flares are smack on 37":

Let me know if there is anything else you want.

Height wise these are absolutely perfect for me, I am very, very happy with them now I've put a thousand miles on them.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode