Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me - Page 3 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 235 Old 09-02-2015, 09:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
You're a comedian!

Ahh, well, I'm actually living in my tent while the diesel conversion is progressing, and swimming in a lake every day doesn't make for the silkiest hair on this earth.

-Dan
Well silky or not those curls are crackin' and every dude on here is secretly jealous of this adventure. I don't know shit about the technical aspects of this trip but I will throw this out there...don't skimp on hair product, take interesting facial hair with you to Africa, make sure to jimmy up, and don't embarrass us by paying tolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb2010 View Post
As BSack would probably say, the rewards of doing for others while seeking nothing makes one rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Momma View Post
Had to google this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 235 Old 09-02-2015, 10:42 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Just read the whole thread. Freaking amazing journey you are going to embark on. I'm nervous for you and wish you the best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #53 of 235 Old 09-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Cod
Mall Crawl Champ!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

^What Mr. Thankyouthread said....... White Australian going down in a not so white friendly places............

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.

post #54 of 235 Old 09-02-2015, 02:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
^What Mr. Thankyouthread said....... White Australian going down in a not so white friendly places............
You're racist!

Quote:
As BSack would probably say, the rewards of doing for others while seeking nothing makes one rich
Quote:
Had to google this...
post #55 of 235 Old 09-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I'm sure this heavily travelled man about town would be glad to lend a hand on your trip. He doesn't pay tolls. His jeep, Vex has THREE snatch blocks on the front bumper alone.
Attached Images

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #56 of 235 Old 09-02-2015, 08:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
I'm sure this heavily travelled man about town would be glad to lend a hand on your trip. He doesn't pay tolls. His jeep, Vex has THREE snatch blocks on the front bumper alone.
He is the angel in my pocket.

Quote:
Quote:
Had to google this...
post #57 of 235 Old 09-02-2015, 09:40 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post

Have some respect !

he is no longer with us and unable to lend a hand... but just to be guided by the spirit of RAMS would take me to the end of the earth and back, and not pay a single toll either way

although... maybe reach out to the "GENERAL"... he would be one hell of a co pilot !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #58 of 235 Old 09-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I was sort of hoping he would take into consideration mounting 3 snatch blocks on his front bumper and maybe two on the rear.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #59 of 235 Old 09-18-2015, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey Everyone,

I'm extremely proud to announce my Jeep and I are entered into SEMA in Vegas from November 3-6.

Massive thanks to AEV and JPFreek.

Also, here's a test-fit of the Mercedes OM606 3.0 turbo diesel in my JK. Tons of work to go, I can't wait to get this thing back on the road!

http://theroadchoseme.com/bound-for-sema

If you are attending SEMA this year, please stop by and say hello.
The Jeep and I will also be at the public event Friday night "Friday Ignited"

-Dan

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #60 of 235 Old 09-18-2015, 07:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I don't even want to know what that motor cost you, but it looks cool sitting there.
Don't skimp on air filtration, in fact put a lot of thought into it. That sand can get like talc. It can and will get inside everything.

Kevin
post #61 of 235 Old 09-18-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
I don't even want to know what that motor cost you, but it looks cool sitting there.
Don't skimp on air filtration, in fact put a lot of thought into it. That sand can get like talc. It can and will get inside everything.

Kevin
The engine has 125,000 miles on it. I took the valve cover and oil pan off today - it looks like new. As with all diesels, people say it's barely broken in at 150k miles.

They are on car-part.com all day long for $2k-$3k.
Keep your eyes on craigslist and they come up for $1k, though usually with 300k miles.

So similar prices to what people are paying for the 4BT.

I'm going to run the AEV snorkel with pre-filter for dust, then the stock air box. Still debating a K&N air filter. Some people swear by them, some people hate them.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.

Last edited by Grecy; 09-18-2015 at 08:15 PM.
post #62 of 235 Old 09-30-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey All,

The build is progressing, we're pushing hard now to make SEMA.

I installed an AEV Rear Bumper, Tire Carrier and Hi-Lift Mount.

Then I put a Hi Lift Extreme and a set of MAXTRAX on that mount

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #63 of 235 Old 09-30-2015, 10:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
Hey All,

The build is progressing, we're pushing hard now to make SEMA.

I installed an AEV Rear Bumper, Tire Carrier and Hi-Lift Mount.

Then I put a Hi Lift Extreme and a set of MAXTRAX on that mount

-Dan
Hopefully you don't need to use em, but ya, that's some must have's.

Kevin
post #64 of 235 Old 10-06-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi All,

Making lots of progress on the build, the Mercedes Diesel swap is really coming together now.

Length has been as issue - Ron from North West Diesel Offroad moved the radiator forward a little:

Intercooler mounted up front:

3 Inch exhaust all the way from turbo outlet to muffler in the rear:

AutoMeter Sport Comp II gauges are a perfect match the for stock gauges:

I've been working on the engine itself, doing maintenance items like water pump, thermostat, oil pump, etc. etc.

We test-fit the AEV Front Premium Bumper and Warn Zeon 10-S winch

Ron from North West Diesel Offroad has amazing fabrication skills, this project is well beyond my abilities as a backyard mechanic.

Tons more pics, details and story on my site: http://theroadchoseme.com/jk-mercede...rsion-progress

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #65 of 235 Old 10-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Rock God

Cool idea. Hopefully your diesel JK can outrun ISIS in their Toyotas. What are you doing for spare tires? Your tires and wheels aren't exactly common sizes in Africa.

Good luck with the YouTube channel. I manage one myself and it's a great way to connect with like-minded enthusiasts. Just don't get in the habit of making content that encourages people to flame you. The negative comments can wear on you.

How are you documenting the trip? What cameras and computers are you bringing? And why did you choose a JK to live out of for two years?

Damn the cannons, full speed ahead! |
|
post #66 of 235 Old 10-08-2015, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
What are you doing for spare tires? Your tires and wheels aren't exactly common sizes in Africa.

Good luck with the YouTube channel. I manage one myself and it's a great way to connect with like-minded enthusiasts. Just don't get in the habit of making content that encourages people to flame you. The negative comments can wear on you.

How are you documenting the trip? What cameras and computers are you bringing? And why did you choose a JK to live out of for two years?
I'll be running 17" steel rims, and either 33 or 34 inch tires.
I know they are not as common as 16", but talking to people on the ground and who have been there, 17" is by no means impossible to find. All the newer "luxury" land rovers and cruisers have them, so they can be found in the bigger cities.

After much thought, I'm only taking one spare to save on weight, with an ARB plug kit and compressor. Tire repair shops are plentiful, and I found they add to the experience because they are always regular-Joe locals (I had 16 flats Alaska->Argentina)

I've got a DSLR, a GoPro and a laptop for editing. I'm told I'll find fast enough internet in the big cities to upload videos.

I chose the JK because I loved my little TJ, and it had zero problems Alaska->Argentina.
I also like to show other people what's possible, and I think a JK is a great platform because they are plentiful over here, don't cost a lot, and are extremely capable and customizable.
I bet there are more aftermarket parts available for the JK than for any vehicle in history, and the list keeps growing.

The JK also has way more attitude than a boring Troopie or 110

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #67 of 235 Old 10-22-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The diesel conversion on my Jeep is extremely close to finished.

I put an insulated cover on my Dometic CFX-35 fridge to combat the extremely hot temperatures I expect in Africa

I made it official:

I've built a drinking water tank/pump/filtration setup using a Shurflow 12v pump and a PURA UV1 0.5 micron filter and UV lamp

More details and photos on The Road Chose Me

I can't wait to drive it!

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #68 of 235 Old 10-22-2015, 06:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You're moving right along. Looking good.

Kevin
post #69 of 235 Old 11-24-2015, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey everyone,

The Diesel conversion in my Jeep has been an enormous amount of work, unfortunately the Jeep wasn't ready for SEMA.
Maybe I'll make it in sometime the future.

Things are coming together really well, I absolutely can not wait to drive my Jeep.

All the details on the Mercedes Diesel conversion and a ton of new photos are now in today's issue of the FREE JPFreek Adventure Magazine

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

Last edited by Grecy; 11-24-2015 at 08:33 PM.
post #70 of 235 Old 01-12-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hi Everyone,

Here's a curve ball for the plan - the Mercedes Diesel engine sucked leaking diesel and ranaway, revving at 7k for 5-10 seconds. Scary stuff indeed.
We're pretty sure valves met pistons, and the engine is dead.

After all of this, with all of the money and time invested, I've decided to sell the Jeep and cut my losses.

For sale thread here: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...33#post3714033

I'm fighting hard to still get myself and a Jeep Wrangler to Africa.
More to come on that front soon.

Always an adventure, even when unplanned!

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #71 of 235 Old 01-12-2016, 06:25 PM
CalmerThanYouAre

Well I'm sorry to hear that.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
post #72 of 235 Old 01-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Granite Guru

Ah man, don't give up now! You've done so much prep already! Stick it out, it'll be worth it!

Join us on

901-214-JEEP (5337)

post #73 of 235 Old 01-12-2016, 07:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just get another engine. You said it wasn't that expensive. Cheapest way to go I'd think. Your not going to get much for your Jeep with a bad engine in it.

Don't give up. Never, ever give up.

Kevin
post #74 of 235 Old 01-14-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Just get another engine. You said it wasn't that expensive. Cheapest way to go I'd think. Your not going to get much for your Jeep with a bad engine in it.

Don't give up. Never, ever give up.
I've considered all the options, and walking away is the best one.

Yes, I'm going to lose a ton of money, and that is what it is.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #75 of 235 Old 01-14-2016, 12:52 PM
JKO Addict!

I hope the 3-way thread doesn't end this way.

Quote:
Quote:
Had to google this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode