Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me - Page 2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #26 of 219 Old 06-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grecy View Post
Hey Everyone,

My name is Dan Grec, I previously drove a TJ 40,000 miles from the top of Alaska to the bottom of Argentina. (Summary and details of the trip on my website: The Road Chose Me)

It's been a long time in the making, and I'm bursting with excitement to announce my next Overland adventure:

Two years circumnavigating the African continent in my 2007 JKUR with custom diesel conversion, camper setup and more.

The Jeep build and all the details for preparation will be covered exclusively at JPFreek Adventure Magazine.

Checkout the latest issue for the trip announcement and details of the build: http://currentissue.jpfreek.com/publ...i=261662&p=116
Also I've got an announcement on my website with my personal feelings and thoughts: http://theroadchoseme.com/new-jeep-new-adventure-africa

I'll be posting regular updates on the build and the trip here too

I hope you'll join me for the ride.

-Dan
I think I would rather see you trek through Wyoming, Montana, Utah, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico...

That's were I would want to go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 219 Old 06-27-2015, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
On a serious note, how are you prepared to deal with an encounter with terrorist? Are you armed or do you have "contractors" driving with you?
I won't be armed, too difficult to cross borders and seriously, seriously illegal.

No "contractors", no support vehicle or staff or anything like that.

Just me and a Jeep.

-Dan

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(previously
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #28 of 219 Old 06-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
I won't be armed, too difficult to cross borders and seriously, seriously illegal.

No "contractors", no support vehicle or staff or anything like that.

Just me and a Jeep.

-Dan
Tienes testículos muy amplios. Dan, I've driven to the Osa Peninsula from Belize City. The border guards at the Guatemala border taught me to be very aware that they actually stamp my passport. The trick they do is to distract you, "play" like they stamp your passport and as soon as you cross they contact a policia by radio and tell them you don't have proper passport. Then the money haggling starts. Spent a little time in Honduras in the late 70's and yes, very corrupt. Good luck to you Dan. Ve con Dios.
JK in SC likes this.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015

post #29 of 219 Old 06-29-2015, 06:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
-Dan
Aaaaaaand, guess who will be armed. All the bad guys. Kinda how it usually works out.

Kevin
JK in SC likes this.
post #30 of 219 Old 06-30-2015, 06:46 AM
Granite Guru

I think what you're doing is crazy yet sounds like a real adventure. Good for you! Good luck and enjoy it!
post #31 of 219 Old 06-30-2015, 11:08 AM
CalmerThanYouAre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Momma View Post
I think I would rather see you trek through Wyoming, Montana, Utah, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico...

That's were I would want to go...
I've done that trek, in an RV. My Jeep isn't comfy enough to even enjoy eight hours behind the wheel going from NC to PA lol.
JK in SC likes this.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
post #32 of 219 Old 06-30-2015, 08:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think its BS that he is not going through somalia, south sudan, chad.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #33 of 219 Old 06-30-2015, 09:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG006 View Post
Yep, you gonna do it, do it right. Nut up.

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”― Ronald Reagan
post #34 of 219 Old 07-02-2015, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG006 View Post
My route on that map is very provisional, depending on ebola, border crossings, visas, political situations, etc. etc.

Right now I'm focusing on North West Africa, the East is so far away I have not done a lot of research yet, and will wait until much later to do it.

It does look like South and North Sudan are on the list right now.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #35 of 219 Old 07-02-2015, 01:35 PM
WINNAR!

Garage

Quote:
My route on that map is very provisional, depending on ebola, border crossings, visas, political situations, etc. etc.

Right now I'm focusing on North West Africa, the East is so far away I have not done a lot of research yet, and will wait until much later to do it.

It does look like South and North Sudan are on the list right now.

-Dan
Good luck on your trip. Will you have the ability to update this thread as you go along your 2 year journey?

Andy

post #36 of 219 Old 07-02-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOKEY View Post
Good luck on your trip. Will you have the ability to update this thread as you go along your 2 year journey?
Yes. I'm told finding internet in bigger cities will be no problem, though when I'm out in the sticks it will be patchy at best.

So likely I'll be online every 2-3 weeks when I'm in a bigger city resupplying with food, diesel and drinking water.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #37 of 219 Old 07-02-2015, 04:15 PM
Rock God

Good for you, I for one am glad your posting here. I have a brother in-law who runs a guest ranch and farm in Mozambique with his wife, he is also a successful contract field geologist working for mining companies and goes "in the bush" alone throughout central Africa looking for gold, diamonds, graphite and such and based in Herrari(sp?). We talk on Skype and he uses a satellite phone. Highly recommend them. PM me for contact if you wish.
post #38 of 219 Old 07-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

When you make it to Liberia, would you do me a favor and look up a Mr. Benjamin Potts. He offered me $8,000,000 last year via email just for sending him $500.00 to get it out of the bank he owns. Tell him I changed my mind and will give him the money. I'll give you enough to finish your trek if you give me your bank account number so I'll know where to deposit it. Thanks.
JK in SC likes this.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #39 of 219 Old 07-03-2015, 05:10 PM
JKowners Vendor

I wanna hear more about the plans for the Jeep! Sounds like an amazing journey man, I wish you all the best.

Join us on

901-214-JEEP (5337)

post #40 of 219 Old 07-04-2015, 12:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesisoffroad View Post
I wanna hear more about the plans for the Jeep! Sounds like an amazing journey man, I wish you all the best.
He's using Painless for his dual batteries. I wonder who might be able to improve upon that choice.

Kevin
post #41 of 219 Old 07-15-2015, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I read a lot about how easy the Trailgator is to install, so I made a video to demonstrate.

Super easy.

Also, that's my new YouTube Channel, where I'll be posting my around Africa expedition.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #42 of 219 Old 07-16-2015, 05:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I read a lot about how easy the Trailgator is to install, so I made a video to demonstrate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YFanXnnGYg

Super easy.

Also, that's my new YouTube Channel, where I'll be posting my around Africa expedition.

-Dan
Holy fuck! Make sure that you take that accent and sideburns with you. Those are straight up tits and are worthy companions on this daring adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb2010 View Post
As BSack would probably say, the rewards of doing for others while seeking nothing makes one rich
Quote:
Had to google this...
post #43 of 219 Old 09-02-2015, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hey Everyone,

I've been hard at work building my Jeep over the last months.
I'm in the middle of an 8,000 mile road trip before the 80,000 mile road trip of my dreams.

The reasoning and rationale for everything I’ve done, and will do, is now online in the new edition of JPFreek Magazine.
Check it out to understand my madness.

Reg cut the roll bar for me (I was too scared to do it myself)

I put heat and sound insulation in the entire Jeep. Let's see if it keep out those 130F+ days in Africa

I built lightweight cabinets using plastic connectors, aluminum tube and plywood.

The finished product which can be converted into a sleeping platform, including Dometic CFX-35 Fridge - which has been amazing.

Tons more pictures on my site: http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-build-phase-1-complete

The whole story, pictures and reasoning for it all are in the new edition of JPFreek Magazine

-Dan

P.S. The V6 gas engine is out, and the diesel conversion is well underway!

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #44 of 219 Old 09-02-2015, 08:27 AM
WINNAR!

Garage

Thanks for the update!!

Andy

post #45 of 219 Old 09-02-2015, 08:44 AM
CalmerThanYouAre

Having been there I would recommend a visit to Morocco for the foods alone.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
post #46 of 219 Old 09-02-2015, 08:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Update on those sick ass sideburns?

Quote:
As BSack would probably say, the rewards of doing for others while seeking nothing makes one rich
Quote:
Had to google this...
post #47 of 219 Old 09-02-2015, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin52 View Post
Having been there I would recommend a visit to Morocco for the foods alone.
Morocco will be my point of entry into Africa - I'm very much looking forward to the food, and I'm told it's a relatively "soft" introduction to Africa, which will be nice to get my feet under me. A little like Baja was a "soft" introduction to Mexico and all of Latin America for me when I drove down.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #48 of 219 Old 09-02-2015, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
Update on those sick ass sideburns?
BAHAHAHA, you crack me up.

The sideburns come and go, the accent I'm stuck with.

I'll be posting lots more videos soon, so you'll have your update.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

post #49 of 219 Old 09-02-2015, 08:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
BAHAHAHA, you crack me up.

The sideburns come and go, the accent I'm stuck with.

I'll be posting lots more videos soon, so you'll have your update.

-Dan
Digging it. And that hair..silky soft as it looks?

Quote:
Quote:
Had to google this...
post #50 of 219 Old 09-02-2015, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
Digging it. And that hair..silky soft as it looks?
You're a comedian!

Ahh, well, I'm actually living in my tent while the diesel conversion is progressing, and swimming in a lake every day doesn't make for the silkiest hair on this earth.

-Dan

(previously
)
--
Follow:
/
/
/

--

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode