JKOwners Forum banner

Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

86K views 404 replies 46 participants last post by  Grecy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

My name is Dan Grec, I previously drove a TJ 40,000 miles from the top of Alaska to the bottom of Argentina. (Summary and details of the trip on my website: The Road Chose Me)

It's been a long time in the making, and I'm bursting with excitement to announce my next Overland adventure:

Two years circumnavigating the African continent in my 2007 JKUR with custom diesel conversion, camper setup and more.

The Jeep build and all the details for preparation will be covered exclusively at JPFreek Adventure Magazine.

Checkout the latest issue for the trip announcement and details of the build: http://currentissue.jpfreek.com/publication/?i=261662&p=116
Also I've got an announcement on my website with my personal feelings and thoughts: http://theroadchoseme.com/new-jeep-new-adventure-africa

I'll be posting regular updates on the build and the trip here too

I hope you'll join me for the ride.

-Dan

See less See more
#4 ·
D. I'm passionate about showing other people what's possible, and helping them get out there, so I want to spread the word about what I'm doing.

This kind of trip is much more realistic that most people realize, I want to show them that.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place or inappropriate, please move or delete if that's the case.

-Dan

#5 ·
I work in Africa, or off the coast of Africa anyway. It sucks way out here too. The place is amazingly beautiful, but just as dangerous. Not only from the animals but from locals, (especially the locals)!

#8 ·
Good luck, you'll need it.
Lots of people said that about Alaska->Argentina too, and I had the time of my life, meeting tons of awesome locals.

The Alaska to Argentina run was cool, the Mercadies Diesel is also cool! Africa, not so cool because of the bad actors!
You're absolutely right that it's going to be a step up from the Pan American.

And that is precisely the reason why I'm setting out to do it.

-Dan

#9 ·
Hey Everyone,
The Jeep build and all the details for preparation will be covered exclusively at JPFreek Adventure Magazine.

Checkout the latest issue for the trip announcement and details of the build: ...
-Dan
So if your fancy magazine is going to cover you exclusively on your trip and build why are you here again?
This. Copy and paste your build thread here, you'll burst from excitement over and over again.

#17 · (Edited)
Do you mean bribes?

I had around 40 bribery attempts from Alasksa->Argentina from the Police and Military, and I only paid one. It was $5 in Nicaragua because I was really tired and couldn't be bothered playing the game.

After I paid they were my best friends :)

The last two paragraphs of this post explain how most bribery attempts went. http://theroadchoseme.com/into-peru

WikiOverland has a good "general advice for bribery" page here http://wikioverland.org/Bribery_tips

Some friends that have circumnavigated Africa really emphasis how important it is to be polite and friendly to officials at border crossings. A smile and patience will go a long, long way.
Maybe giving away the odd cold coca-cola will help things too :)

-Dan

EDIT: Honduras was notorious when I drove across, my write-up talks a lot about the bribery that was attempted that day: http://theroadchoseme.com/across-honduras

#14 ·
Cool trip. Bad timing. Your dotted line looks like you'll spend most of your time in the middle of chaos and death, with the occasional side trip through anarchy, rape, tribal warfare, religious genocide, disease and more death.

No telling how any of those places will change during the next two years, but I think it's safe to say it won't be for the better. I give you an 80% chance of getting killed outright and never heard from again. A 60% chance you get taken as a hostage where there's <3% chance of rescue. I'm also going to go with a 100% chance that at some point you'll wish you never started the trip.

Good Luck

Kevin

#21 ·
I am off the coast of Angola now and as of today it's been 9 days since there was AK47s on board. Yes it can be a dangerous place.

#22 · (Edited)
Double post

#37 ·
Good for you, I for one am glad your posting here. I have a brother in-law who runs a guest ranch and farm in Mozambique with his wife, he is also a successful contract field geologist working for mining companies and goes "in the bush" alone throughout central Africa looking for gold, diamonds, graphite and such and based in Herrari(sp?). We talk on Skype and he uses a satellite phone. Highly recommend them. PM me for contact if you wish.

#38 ·
When you make it to Liberia, would you do me a favor and look up a Mr. Benjamin Potts. He offered me $8,000,000 last year via email just for sending him $500.00 to get it out of the bank he owns. Tell him I changed my mind and will give him the money. I'll give you enough to finish your trek if you give me your bank account number so I'll know where to deposit it. Thanks.:gluging:

#41 ·
I read a lot about how easy the Trailgator is to install, so I made a video to demonstrate.

Super easy.

Also, that's my new YouTube Channel, where I'll be posting my around Africa expedition.

-Dan

#42 ·
I read a lot about how easy the Trailgator is to install, so I made a video to demonstrate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YFanXnnGYg

Super easy.

Also, that's my new YouTube Channel, where I'll be posting my around Africa expedition.

-Dan
Holy ****! Make sure that you take that accent and sideburns with you. Those are straight up tits and are worthy companions on this daring adventure.

#43 ·
Hey Everyone,

I've been hard at work building my Jeep over the last months.
I'm in the middle of an 8,000 mile road trip before the 80,000 mile road trip of my dreams.

The reasoning and rationale for everything I’ve done, and will do, is now online in the new edition of JPFreek Magazine.
Check it out to understand my madness.

Reg cut the roll bar for me (I was too scared to do it myself)

I put heat and sound insulation in the entire Jeep. Let's see if it keep out those 130F+ days in Africa

I built lightweight cabinets using plastic connectors, aluminum tube and plywood.

The finished product which can be converted into a sleeping platform, including Dometic CFX-35 Fridge - which has been amazing.

Tons more pictures on my site: http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-build-phase-1-complete

The whole story, pictures and reasoning for it all are in the new edition of JPFreek Magazine

-Dan

P.S. The V6 gas engine is out, and the diesel conversion is well underway!

#47 ·
Morocco will be my point of entry into Africa - I'm very much looking forward to the food, and I'm told it's a relatively "soft" introduction to Africa, which will be nice to get my feet under me. A little like Baja was a "soft" introduction to Mexico and all of Latin America for me when I drove down.

-Dan

#48 ·
BAHAHAHA, you crack me up.

The sideburns come and go, the accent I'm stuck with.

I'll be posting lots more videos soon, so you'll have your update.

-Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.