JKOwners Forum banner

Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

86K views 404 replies 46 participants last post by  Grecy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

My name is Dan Grec, I previously drove a TJ 40,000 miles from the top of Alaska to the bottom of Argentina. (Summary and details of the trip on my website: The Road Chose Me)

It's been a long time in the making, and I'm bursting with excitement to announce my next Overland adventure:

Two years circumnavigating the African continent in my 2007 JKUR with custom diesel conversion, camper setup and more.

The Jeep build and all the details for preparation will be covered exclusively at JPFreek Adventure Magazine.

Checkout the latest issue for the trip announcement and details of the build: http://currentissue.jpfreek.com/publication/?i=261662&p=116
Also I've got an announcement on my website with my personal feelings and thoughts: http://theroadchoseme.com/new-jeep-new-adventure-africa

I'll be posting regular updates on the build and the trip here too

I hope you'll join me for the ride.

-Dan

See less See more
#378 ·
Hi All,

After taking the extremely remote Lake Turkana route up into Ethiopia, I immediately bumped into these guys

This is the first country I have seen civilains with AKs (or really any guns) and suddenly they are everywhere.

After all this time on the continent, I finally got to hold one too. Much smaller and lighter than I expected. It was loaded while I was playing with it too.

More here: Into Ethiopia | The Road Chose Me

I made a stop at a Mursi village before driving myself into a huge gas shortage that is impacting all of Ethiopia. I manage to find some, and a few times I buy from the black market out of containers. It does the trick, the Jeep doesn't seem to complain no matter what I put in the tank

More here: The Mursi People | The Road Chose Me

After swinging through the capital of Addis Abba to pickup a couple more visas I have driven into the seldom-visted country of Djibouti, and I immidiately feel like I have driven onto another planet.
This is like nothing I've ever seen before

More here: Lake Abbe Part 1 | The Road Chose Me
and here: Lake Abbe Part 2 | The Road Chose Me

Although I'm getting close to the end, it feels like there is still a lifetime of adventure in front of me.

Next I go back into Ethiopia before pushing through Sudan and into Egypt, the final destination!

-Dan

#379 ·
Hi All,

I drove back over the horrendous road and into Ethiopia, and after driving the Jeep to over 14,080 ft. in the Simien Mountains in Ethiopia, I was happy to make it out of that country safely and without incident.

In all my expeditions around the world, Ethiopia is the only country I have ever felt unsafe in, and certainly very unwelcome.
It's a beautiful place, but it has some serious problems right now. Unfortunately I feel like I can't recommend a visit, which is really sad.

You can read about the mountains here
http://theroadchoseme.com/the-simien-mountains-part-1
and here
http://theroadchoseme.com/the-simien-mountains-part-2

And now I have driven into African country number 34, Sudan!

The border was time consuming, but more-or-less what I have come to accept as normal. Dropping out of the mountains the temperature skyrocketed well over 110F.
Border crossing story here: Ethiopia Ends / Into Sudan | The Road Chose Me

For the first night I just wild camped off the road. Everyone says it's insanely safe here, and I have felt welcome right from the get-go.

Now in Sudan, I just paid $0.35/gal for gas - easily the cheapest I have ever paid on the continent, and in my life. It's nice to get a whole tank for $7 !

People here are insanely friendly, and now I'm looking forward to wild camping out in the desert!

Full story about what Sudan feels like here: To Khartoum | The Road Chose Me

I can't believe I only have one more border to cross. After almost three years on the road it's going to be very surreal to "finish".

-Dan

#381 ·
As much as I'd love to drive across Central Asia and the 'stans, my bank account is not on board with that plan!

I'm coming back to North America, and I'm bringing the Jeep with me.
I plan to display it and talk at a number of Overland/4x4/Jeep shows this coming summer.
After that I'll base myself in the Yukon again for adventures around Yukon and Alaska. The mountains are calling me back !

-Dan

#382 ·
Hi All,

I have driven the length of Sudan, exploring the desert and wild camping every single night.

Tons more photos on my website.

Now after crossing the most expensive, complicated and convoluted border of my life, I have driven into Egypt. The 35th and final African country on this expedition!

All the details on the border crossing and madness here: Into Egypt | The Road Chose Me

I'm loving this place already!

-Dan

#387 ·
Hi All,

After almost three years, 35 countries and over 53,000 miles, I have driven right around Africa, and arrived at the Giza Pyramids in Egypt!

I am absolutely ecstatic!!

Read the full story: Cairo and the Pyramids of Giza | The Road Chose Me

Now only the final hurdle remains - shipping the Jeep out of Egypt!

-Dan

#391 ·
Hi Everyone,

After the most insane paperwork run-around and bureaucracy of my life, I managed to drive the Jeep into a 20 foot shipping container and seal the door.

Immediately I felt like I was separated from a good friend, a really strange feeling.

After 999 days, I hopped on a plane, and the Jeep is crossing the mighty North Atlantic.

You can read about the insanity here: Africa Ends | The Road Chose Me

I'm still in disbelief that it's over.

More updates to come, including tons of info on costs, what I would do differently, how the Jeep performed, etc. etc.

-Dan

#394 ·
Hil All,

The Jeep has arrived in North America, and now I'm on a mission.

I'm presenting, showing the Jeep and speaking on panels at Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ next weekend (17th, 18th, 19th May).

I will also be at many other Overland/4x4 shows over the summer, the full list is here: Touring Overland Shows in 2019 | The Road Chose Me

Let me know if there is a show you think I should go to that isn't on the list currently.

Also, after months of work (It started back in Nairobi, Kenya), I have published my coffee table photography book of Africa!

With 77 full color pages containing a double-page spread on every country, info on the Jeep, the expedition and some fun numbers and quirks too. Each country is a blend of people, landscapes, wildlife and daily life – the parts of Africa that I will never forget.

The Jeep and I make the odd appearance too.

It's available now on Amazon!: https://amzn.to/2H93IUH

-Dan

#395 ·
#396 ·
Hi All,

I'm moving around North America displaying the Jeep and giving presentations and talks about what I've done.

This weekend I'm at the Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival in Butler County, Pennsylvania. It's been great to meet so many people that have followed, and even a ton of people that had no idea what Overlanding is, but are stoked to get out there and have adventures.

Last night I took the Jeep into downtown Butler, PA for the "Jeep Invasion" where they shut down the city with a ton of cool Jeeps on display. It was a great night, and the Jeep stood out like a sore thumb with the roof up.

I'm at Bantam all weekend, come on by and say hello!

-Dan

#397 ·
Hi All,

I'm touring the US this summer, speaking at shows, talking about what I did, telling stories and showing off the Jeep.

I'm on the scheudle at all of the below to speak, display, etc.

Let me know if there is another show you think I should go to.

Please stop by the Jeep and say hello!

I keep adding new shows to my schedule for the summer - the current list looks like this.

If you know of a show you think I should be attending/presenting at, please let me know!

Big Sky Overland Rally
near Missoula, Montana
July 26-28

Rocky Mountain Overland Rally
Gunnison, Colorado
August 1-4

Toledo Jeep Festival
Toledo, Ohio
August 9-11

Jeep Jam
Wilmington, Ohio
August 16-19

Appalachian Rendezvous
Uwharrie, North Carolina
September 12-15

Overland Expo EAST
Arrington, Virginia
October 11-13

Virginia Root Top Tent Rally
Gladstone, Virginia
October 18-20

-Dan

#402 ·
My summer is rolling on, showing the Jeep and telling stories. It's a little surreal meeting people who have been following me the whole time, though also great fun.

THIS WEEKEND (Aug 23/24) I'm showing the Jeep and speaking at the Great Smokey Mountain Jeep Invasion in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.
The Jeep will be on display inside the convention center where I'll be giving tours and telling stories.

As a special guest of the Southern Four Wheel Drive Association I am presenting my African Adventure from 4pm-5pm on both Friday and Saturday.
I'll be speaking in classroom #1.

See you there!

-Dan

#403 ·
Hi All,

The number one question I get asked after driving the length of the Pan-American Highway from Alaska to Argentina and all the way around Africa is how much does it all cost.
In this video I get right down to it, and give actual numbers not just from my experience, but also from other overlanders out there really doing it.

I've transitioned to YouTube, with the goal of teaching you everything you need to know to get out there on your own global expedition.
I know money is a hot topic, so In the coming months I'll be posting a ton more videos about it - how to save, how to earn money on the road, how to get sponsors, how to get published, etc. etc.

-Dan

#405 ·
Hi Everyone,

After a huge amount of work I'm proud to announce I've published my second major book, documenting my entire expedition around Africa.

'The Road Chose Me Volume 2: Three years and 54,000 miles around Africa' is available now in paperback and eBook format.

Amazon (Paperback and eBook): The Road Chose Me Volume 2: Three years and 54, 000 miles around Africa: Grec, Dan: 9780995198968: Amazon.com: Books
Apple Books (eBook): ‎The Road Chose Me Volume 2

Book cover Publication Hardwood Book Fire

This book documents my entire three year African expedition from start to finish. It covers the preparation, the adventures, the characters I met, the misadventures, the logistics, touches on politics and my loneliness and so, so much more.
At 375 pages it’s 50% bigger than my first book, and it has been an enormous amount of work to bring this to life!

INTRODUCTION
(From the book)

Bumping along a gravel road in Guatemala with my friend Kate I clearly remember discussing overland travel and what it might mean for my life. Two continuous years exploring foreign countries was substantially bigger than anything I had attempted before. To be perfectly honest, I still wasn’t sure it was for me.

“There are really only two options,” I said.
“Either this Alaska to Argentina drive satisfies my urge and I’ll never do this kind of thing again, or I’ll be addicted for life.”

The fact this book exists tells you which way that went.

When I set out to drive from Alaska to Argentina I didn’t know what to expect. I knew almost nothing about border crossings, bribery or if I could learn another language. My plan was to go until I didn’t enjoy it any more, then do something else with my life. This meant I didn’t feel any pressure. If my little Jeep got stolen or destroyed I could simply walk away. I hadn’t made any promises, and virtually nobody outside my family knew of The Road Chose Me.

The Africa expedition was very different from the start. I began planning and dreaming fully aware of what I was getting into. I knew how disciplined I would have to be while saving money, and how difficult it would be to leave my comfortable life behind. I knew the depths of loneliness that were in front of me, and how hard it would be to push through my fears and doubts. To put it simply, I knew exactly what I was signing myself up for – or at least I thought I did.

I again quit my job and sold everything I wasn’t taking, and I promised a lot of people I would complete the lap around Africa. Once I committed, I was all in. There would be no turning back or stopping early this time. I knew an expedition all the way around Africa would be an enormous adventure, and it turned out to be a thousand times more than even I dreamed possible.

Africa and her people taught me so much and I feel a great responsibility to do their story justice. After three months I thought I knew everything. Then after twelve months I realized that was all garbage and I had a new perspective. This learning process was continuous as I tried to keep my eyes and ears open to the world I was experiencing.

Like volume one, this book contains more than just tales of adventure, but also the lifelong lessons I will never forget. Fair warning, some lessons are controversial and will be difficult for readers in the developed world. I learned volumes about how the world views and treats Africa, making it impossible not to touch on politics. To be perfectly honest, most of what I learned makes me sick to my stomach. I hope you will keep an open mind as you make this journey of discovery with me.

Throughout the expedition the endless kindness and warmth of the African people was a constant. Without their love and encouragement my dream wouldn’t have been possible.

So much is outside my control while on these expeditions I often feel as if I’m on a roller coaster, taking the unexpected twists and turns as they come. All I can do is plant a smile on my face, hold on and enjoy the ride. So strap yourself in as we embark on the adventure of a lifetime.

-Dan

Also available, as a companion to the written account of the journey is a 75 page full color photography book from the expedition.
In this book I have a double-page spread from each of the 35 countries I visited, showing the stunning landscapes, wildlife, people and wild places I visited.

'999 Days Around Africa: The Road Chose me' is available as a full-color photography book:

Amazon (printed color book): 999 Days Around Africa: The Road Chose Me: Grec, Dan, Grec, Dan: 9780995198951: Amazon.com: Books

Publication Wood stain Book Paper product Paper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.