JKOwners Forum banner

Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me

86K views 404 replies 46 participants last post by  Grecy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

My name is Dan Grec, I previously drove a TJ 40,000 miles from the top of Alaska to the bottom of Argentina. (Summary and details of the trip on my website: The Road Chose Me)

It's been a long time in the making, and I'm bursting with excitement to announce my next Overland adventure:

Two years circumnavigating the African continent in my 2007 JKUR with custom diesel conversion, camper setup and more.

The Jeep build and all the details for preparation will be covered exclusively at JPFreek Adventure Magazine.

Checkout the latest issue for the trip announcement and details of the build: http://currentissue.jpfreek.com/publication/?i=261662&p=116
Also I've got an announcement on my website with my personal feelings and thoughts: http://theroadchoseme.com/new-jeep-new-adventure-africa

I'll be posting regular updates on the build and the trip here too

I hope you'll join me for the ride.

-Dan

See less See more
#315 ·
Pictures are simply amazing.

So, as far south as you are now, is it summer there. Or I guess, towards the end of summer. You didn't mention it being hot, and by the look of some of those pictures, it gets rather warm there.

Stay safe and don't worry about getting too close to the wild animals, they'll let you know where close enough is.:D

#316 ·
Hi All,

During all the dry riverbeds I found yet another wild camp that contents for best of the entire expedition.
Let me know what you think

More details on the riverbeds here: Riverbeds, Deserts and Wildlife | The Road Chose Me

After all that it was time for a change of pace so I visited a Cheetah Conservation place.
I will never, ever forget patting a cheetah while he purrs loudly:

Details here: Otjitotongwe Cheetah Guest Farm | The Road Chose Me

And then it was time for a visit to Etosha National Park. I have been told no visit to Namibia is complete without a stop.
I enjoyed it, though I think I prefer the completely wild animals. I have been spoiled already

Tons of photos here: Etosha National Park | The Road Chose Me

Namibia continues to impress. I love this place as much as I always thought I would!

-Dan

#319 ·
Inspiring...read through your separate blog posts from diesel disaster to today. Your patience at the border crossings is amazing. And if a pic is worth a thousand words....your's speak volumes.

Don't change a thing, other than more frequent updates! Continued luck to you.

...//TJ

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

#320 ·
Hi All,

I made a stop at the The Ju/’Hoansi Living San Museum where locals are the museum pieces, showing how their ancestors lived on the land for generations.
This fascinating man told me through a translator he actually hunted giraffe with his dad with this bow and arrow when he was a boy.

More: The Ju/?Hoansi Living San Museum | The Road Chose Me

After that I moved over to Khaudum National Park for some extreme elephant viewing.

How close did I get?
Close.

More: Khaudum National Park | The Road Chose Me

Everyone warned me about the deep sand in the North of the park and how they always get stuck.

It was extremely deep, though the Jeep didn't have a problem powering through.

-Dan

#321 ·
I'm in awe. I don't really know what else to say.

I would love to hang out with the Sand people. Doesn't sound like they have much need for the rest of the world. That is sooooo cool.

Looks like you have a snake in the Jeep.

Did the Elephants care if you got close? I guess not if you're still alive.

You need to post some vids if you can.

#322 ·
The elephants got a little agitated when I moved the Jeep (because it's so big, I think), but they don't mind me on foot so much. I was extremely careful to keep the Jeep between me and them, and even so it was probably stupid to get out of the Jeep.

Absolutely there are videos! I have thousands of hours of HD video so far, I'm uploading it all to YouTube here:
http://youtube.com/c/theroadchoseme

-Dan

#323 ·
Hey Everyone,

After 3,538 miles in Namibia, it's time to wave goodbye to this magical country and say hello to Botswana, African country number 19!
I have been told many, many great things about Bots, so I'm really looking forward to exploring the remote corners.

Read about the border crossing and more. I must be getting lazy, I couldn't be bothered getting any paperwork for the Jeep!
Into Botswana across the Caprivi Strip | The Road Chose Me

Soon after we explore the magical Baines Boababs - these trees are at least a thousand years old, maybe two thousand

Then we explore the ancient cave paintings at Tsodilo Hills, a UNESCO site:

Read the whole story here: Tsodilo ? Mountain of the Gods | The Road Chose Me

I'm also filming a YouTube series as I move around. I'm a little behind editing the thousands of hours of HD video I have, so the latest to go live is showing my time in Cameroon a few months back.
My YT channel is here: http://youtube.com/c/theroadchoseme
The Cameroon video is here:

-Dan

#324 ·
Hi Everyone,

My New eBook is out now!

In Overland Travel Essentials: West Africa – Myths, Misconceptions and Misnomers I debunk the most commonly-held myths about traveling the West Coast of Africa in your own 4x4 vehicle.

I did it - you can too!

As well as de-bunking the most commonly-held myths I also give real-world practical advice and suggestions, and list a bunch of must-see places in West Africa.

Finally, the price of gasoline and diesel is listed for every single country, and also the price and where to apply for and obtain every single visa for the entire coast line!

Grab a copy now on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2BQ1gjV

or Apple iBooks:https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/boo...misconceptions/id1352798714?mt=11&at=1001lqzc

I'd love to hear what you think!

-Dan

#326 ·
#328 ·
I would NOT recommend that. Eating Monkey is a great way to catch Ebola (and bats...)

I avoided both every time I had the chance.

-Dan

#329 ·
Hi All,

I'm a bit behind editing the thousands of hours of HD footage I have filmed on the West Coast.

My latest YouTube video just went up, it's about my time exploring Gabon - possibly my favorite country on the West Coast.
I can't believe more people don't explore there!

I vow to get one online every couple of weeks now to catch up with the backlog!

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/theroadchoseme

-Dan

#330 ·
Hi All,

Some of you must be wondering what it would be like to ride along with me in the Jeep for 10 days, or even do what I'm doing full time.

The Editor of JPFreek Adventure Magazine flew out to Africa and did exactly that, and you can read all of his thoughts on what I'm doing with my life in the latest FREE edition of the magazine.

Checkout this story in the magazine to get an outsiders perspective on what I'm doing with my life:

Ride Along With Dan Grec in Africa article link: JPFreek Adventure Magazine Winter 2018 Page 78

Checkout the whole magazine, it's always free.

-Dan

#332 ·
Hi All,

I crossed into South Africa no problems at all, and after a quick jaunt I have crossed into the Kingdom of Lesotho!

(Don't worry, I'll go back to South Africa for a lot more exploring!)

Lesotho is amazing, here we are enjoying the views of one of the biggest single-drop waterfalls in Africa - 630ft.

Read all about it Into The Kingdom of Lesotho | The Road Chose Me

Now I'm in the interior of the country, exploring remote roads and mountains.
Wild camping every night is great, here's another random one:

More: Looping Lesotho pt 1 | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

#336 ·
Yep, the Chinese are everywhere on this continent. Building roads and railways to strip resources.
I think the smart countries have negotiated deals where they at least get something out of it. The others the president just pockets a ton of money.
No wildlife at all in Lesotho. I suspect it was all eaten a long time ago (but I'm not sure)

Don't get mistaken for a farmer when you get back into South Africa; those peeps are screwed.
I hear it's the most dangerous job in the world...

Dan,

Thank you for keeping us updated on your trip around Africa. I've been following your YouTube channel and your videos are excellent snippets into your journey. What's next for you after Africa?
I'm concentrating and working so hard on this, I really have no idea. I'll have absolutely zero money, so as much as I would like to keep going, I will be forced to return to some kind of job or other.
I'm planning on shipping the Jeep back to North America and I will live in Northern Canada again.

But still a solid year to go here, so that's what I concentrating on!

-Dan

#337 ·
Hi All,

I continued to explore Lesotho, finding a ton of great wild camp spots:

Then I got the Jeep to probably the highest it will be on the continent (10,630ft.)

Which I thought was a good excuse for a beer at the highest pub in Africa:

You can read more about all of that here:
Looping Lesotho pt 2 | The Road Chose Me

From there, I dropped down the super-famous Sani Pass into South Africa. It's a stunning pass with a few wicked switchbacks, of course the first vehicle to ever drive it was a Jeep!

You can read more about my drive down the Sani Pass here:
The Sani Pass | The Road Chose Me

Now it's time to explore South Africa!

-Dan

#338 ·

Those people will be doing the same thing in 100 years and the west will be in chaos. Makes a person wonder who's smarter. Well, maybe the west will be doing the same in 100 years.

You reached a altitude the guy at the bar will never see.:D What kind of beer did they have?

As always, the pictures are simply awesome.

#339 · (Edited)
Hi All,

My latest video is on YouTube now:

Driving across the Republic of Congo !

The country was not at all what I expected, and I loved it!

-Dan

#340 ·
Hi All,

My latest video is on YouTube now - crossing the infamous DRC - The Congo - (Formally Zaire)

I think this is my best video yet, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!

-Dan

#343 ·
Hi All,

After 32,000 miles through 21 countries in Africa, I have officially reached the Southern-most tip of Africa, which is the half way point of the expedition.
Already it has been the adventure of my lifetime, and it's only half way done!

From here, it's North through another 15 or so countries on my way to Egypt in the North East. I hope you'll join me for the adventure.

Also, less than a couple of hundred yards from the southern tip I had my first "car crash"!
Rea the whole story here Cape Agulhas ? The Southern Tip Of Africa! | The Road Chose Me

-Dan

#344 ·
Hi All,

Before setting out to circle Africa, I drove 40,000 miles from Alaska to Argentina on the Pan-Am Highway & finally I have published a book about my adventure:

My first taste of Overland adventures changed my life. This book is a collection of the adventures I had, the people I met and the lessons they taught me. It has taken me many years to write because it took many years for the lessons to sink in!

I hope it will inspire you to get out there and live adventures of your own!

AVAILABLE NOW: Grab a print or digital copy on Amazon, or (very soon) apple iBooks.

https://amzn.to/2wkxceX

-Dan

#345 ·
Hi All,

I have just posted a new video on YouTube, this one is about the 6 weeks I spent exploring all over Angola.

It's only the second country on the entire continent I have extended my visa in, so you can imagine how much I enjoyed my time there.
Angola really has everything you can imagine, and now the visa is getting easier and easier to get. I hear some nationalities can now get it on arrival at the border. Sweet!

For anyone thinking about it, get yourself to Angola!

-Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.