Modified powerplant with in-cab control - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-31-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
dsy
Granite Guru

Modified powerplant with in-cab control

Finally got my PowerPlant winch modified and installed the way I want it. I relocated the air tank from the top of the winch to the rear seat area to allow more airflow to the radiator and increase the tank size. I used a piece of 1/2" think aluminum angle (from Metal Mart) to take the place of the tank since the tank is part of the structure of the winch. I had a machine shop drill it out for me for $30. I installed a 3/8" in-line air check valve ( from Graingers) first in the line and then the pressure switch that was in the original tank. With the check valve in line first the system holds pressure great.

Front air coupling for blowing out trail dust from inside the cab. Wire coiled under it is the cable I got from John. Did not have the switches installed yet.

After the pressure switch I installed a bypass valve (from McMaster-Carr) which I turn to allow the compressor to free flow when using the PowerPlant as a winch. Other wise when the air tank is full the pressure switch shuts the winching down. This allows me to keep the air tank pressurized and still winch.

And last I mounted up my inside winch controls using the awesome cable I got from John L on the forum here. Powerplant in cab control solution
and the switches he suggested. I fabbed up a box to mount above the rearview mirror that can hold six switches. All the inside winch controls work just as John said. The other spots went for locker controls and a switch to disable the esp nanny.

And kind of related I moved my rear battery volt meter from the cover under the fridge in the rear to a spot up front where I could monitor it easier. I installed a pressure gauge in the rear where the volt meter was which you can see in the second picture above. This spot actually makes a perfect place to mount a single gauge, I found a old lawn sprinkler head in my garage that was the same inside dia as needed for the gauge. A trip on the belt sander gave it just the right angle and contour to epoxy to that cover and not interfer with anything else.

What do you think?

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dsy; 09-10-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Rock God

Move your air tank to the bottom of the jeep along the frame rail. Totally out of the way.

What is with the goofy refrigerator or whatever that thing is in the back????

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SHAFFERS OFFROAD. YOU WILL BE SORRY YOU DID..
post #3 of 8 Old 08-31-2009, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn View Post
Move your air tank to the bottom of the jeep along the frame rail. Totally out of the way.

What is with the goofy refrigerator or whatever that thing is in the back????
Goofy refrigerator Damn, one of favorite add-on's. Always a cold something on a hot trail and no soggy food. Also a place to stash my catch. Its been a permanent fixture in my jeep for a couple years, could not imagine not having it now. I'm really set up more for expedtion type use than anything else. The space for the tank inside was not being used for anything and one less thing to worry about trashing under the jeep

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dsy; 09-10-2009 at 01:22 PM.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-31-2009, 08:07 PM
Rock God

You have been quite ambitious with your build. Looks great, and you have some awesome toys on your JK.

08 Unlimited Steel Blue
All Sorts of Crap on it

In the space of about 30 seconds, this man was in a car accident, an explosion, lit aflame and then kicked in the balls with more force than a human foot can technically take.

Future terrorists take note: this is your retirement package.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Rock God

Garage

looks great, took alot of balls to start cutting up a 1500 dollar winch.

09 4dr rubi-3" teraflex-35x12.50 km2s-17" xd addicts-kc 100 watt slimlights on kc brackets-riddlers-S.B.S. plug-orfab e-disco skid-Rugged Ridge stubby stinger-xrc-10 comp-Finishlinewest Gen 4.0!
post #6 of 8 Old 09-01-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes-jk View Post
looks great, took alot of balls to start cutting up a 1500 dollar winch.
Thanks. No the winch is not cut up in any way. Could put it all back to stock in about 10 min. Just pulled a few small bolts out to remove the cover and swapped the air tank for a piece of alum angle. I liked the looks of the powerplant winch but I like more air to cool the hemi better.

DIY Hemi build
post #7 of 8 Old 09-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
Thanks. No the winch is not cut up in any way. Could put it all back to stock in about 10 min. Just pulled a few small bolts out to remove the cover and swapped the air tank for a piece of alum angle. I liked the looks of the powerplant winch but I like more air to cool the hemi better.
oooo. i read it wrong, i thought u said u had to u an angle ginder to get the tank off. still looks great. u got a hemi, that sweet

09 4dr rubi-3" teraflex-35x12.50 km2s-17" xd addicts-kc 100 watt slimlights on kc brackets-riddlers-S.B.S. plug-orfab e-disco skid-Rugged Ridge stubby stinger-xrc-10 comp-Finishlinewest Gen 4.0!
post #8 of 8 Old 09-01-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes-jk View Post
oooo. i read it wrong, i thought u said u had to u an angle ginder to get the tank off. still looks great. u got a hemi, that sweet
No the tank is the structure that bridges the two sides of the winch together and there are three long bolts that go through guide holes on the tank to pull the sides together. I had a shop bore three holes through the angle in the same locations as the tank had.

DIY Hemi build

Last edited by dsy; 09-10-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode