HID's Installed + wheelin to test - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 08-10-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

HID's Installed + wheelin to test

And Im sure Im gonna get crap for having them on a Jeep . . well . . . They're waterproof digital ballasts and I shouldnt have a problem warrantying them if something goes wrong.

6000k Headlights with 3000k Fogs

Sorry there is so many . . never was good at making decisions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 08-10-2009, 07:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Looks good, I have 5000k headlights, 5000ks in my Hellas and plan on Three 5000k 8" lights once i do my front bumper...oh yes. let there be light! lol

White light kinda guy here

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 08-10-2009 at 07:54 PM.
post #3 of 36 Old 08-10-2009, 07:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Looks good, nothing wrong with upgrading to a good light. I have been wanting to do the same just haven't got around to it.

|
|
post #4 of 36 Old 08-10-2009, 07:53 PM
JKO Addict!

What kit did you use?
Looks good

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #5 of 36 Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Looks good, I have 5000k headlights, 5000ks in my Hellas and plan on Three 5000k 8" lights once i do my front bumper...oh yes. let there be light! lol
Oh I'm just getting started as well lol . . plan opn putting my PIAA 580's on MPRB windshield mounts this w/e . . . then on my eventual mod list is 3x Lightforce 170's (or 2x 240's depending on bumper purchase) and 2x140's for windshield. I have the PIAAs leftover from my truck so thats why they're going on now. Not bad lights but I haver heard of Lightforce before my Jeep

>> EDIT . . the Bumper lights will be HID . .the windshield willl probably be Halogen so i can quickly flip them on /off or flash some one

Last edited by DanNEBTD; 08-10-2009 at 07:59 PM.
post #6 of 36 Old 08-10-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
What kit did you use?
Looks good
I used Galmax . . they're not a big company but they're based out of Miami and more importantly I can get them cost through my friends work
post #7 of 36 Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNEBTD View Post
Oh I'm just getting started as well lol . . plan opn putting my PIAA 580's on MPRB windshield mounts this w/e . . . then on my eventual mod list is 3x Lightforce 170's (or 2x 240's depending on bumper purchase) and 2x140's for windshield. I have the PIAAs leftover from my truck so thats why they're going on now. Not bad lights but I haver heard of Lightforce before my Jeep
Have fun, I'm just too cheap to run a real expensive light. My $55/pair HIDs and decent halogen lights will have to do for awhile. lol

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #8 of 36 Old 08-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Rock God

Hey guys don't feel bad about running cheapie HID lights. I'm running VVE 10,000k in my headlights ($105) along with HIDx 4" HID KCs ($200)....

09 Unlimited Rubicon Flame Red
~8.5" TeraFlex LCG Long Arm
~41x14.50 Interco IROK Radials
~20x10 RBP-93R wheels with red inserts
~RCV Performance front D44 CV-style axle shafts
~Posion Spyder Crusher flares, Rock Brawler Bumper, Rocker Knockers w/sliders and Hawse fairlead
~Warn 9.5ti Winch w/synthetic line
~Rhino Lining tub
~Katzkin interior
~10lb Powertank & VIAR Xtreme
~Drake Off-Road billet bling
Check out my build here....
post #9 of 36 Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Those suckers are blllluueee, don't think the hue hurts the light output? 5000ks kickout awesome

post #10 of 36 Old 08-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Those suckers are blllluueee, don't think the hue hurts the light output? 5000ks kickout awesome
I was going for shock & awe

Freaking AZ is sunny from 5am - almost 8:30pm for most of the year so I only get to drive with them on when I am on the trail or for late night beer runs.

~Posion Spyder Crusher flares, Rock Brawler Bumper, Rocker Knockers w/sliders and Hawse fairlead
~Rhino Lining tub
~Katzkin interior
post #11 of 36 Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Rock God

are these a full replacement or did you put HIDs in the stock housing?

performance mods: 3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm lift, ProComp MX-6 shocks, 35 x 12.50 Super Swamper SSRs, 17x8.5" Procomp 9001s in Knight Chrome with 4.5" backspace, Bulldog Fab rear bumper with tire carrier, Smittybilt XRC front bumper, cooltech muffler relocate

appearance mods: budget grille mod, painted A/C rings, made side markers into blinkers, removed "Jeep" front bling.
post #12 of 36 Old 08-11-2009, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTpusher View Post
are these a full replacement or did you put HIDs in the stock housing?
stock housing\s for now . . .thinking of Cibies in the future but have many mods id rather see before.
post #13 of 36 Old 08-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Wheeler

Quote:

Pardon the side-question Dan...

Goody, what did you use for rock lights if you don't mind me asking?
post #14 of 36 Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 AM
JKO Addict!

every time i see a thread like this, i want to go out and upgrade my lights to HID's

then i recall a conversation i had with a friend that is a state trooper. "You like them, just be prepared to be pulled over"

So for what its worth I'll stick with my silverstar bulbs
post #15 of 36 Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Rock God

i had them at one point as well

couldn't stand the glare, and being flashed by everyone

the light output is not right and blinds absolutely everyone on the road

they do look pretty though

i switched to Cibie's a couple of years ago after my HID experiment and haven't looked back since.

if you don't believe me at how annoying they are to everyone on the street have someone drive your jeep and you drive a car in front, see if the glare is tolerable
post #16 of 36 Old 08-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

looks good guys, im a bit jealous

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #17 of 36 Old 08-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
every time i see a thread like this, i want to go out and upgrade my lights to HID's

then i recall a conversation i had with a friend that is a state trooper. "You like them, just be prepared to be pulled over"

illegal

07 Sahara Unlimited STEEL BLUE
Current Mods:3.5 Rock Krawler Mid Arm,
Teraflex drag linkflip kit(thanks Rooster),
18" XD Addict's on 35x12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers

post #18 of 36 Old 08-11-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post

I've had them in all my other vehicles with no problems :shrug: . . . just had to aim them a little. my friend and I dont notice glare problems from it but I have been flashed a couple times. . . . for the most part I do city driving so glare isnt as bad as when I was on 41 in the everglades (2 lane/2way road + pitch black makes even the slightest glare exponentially worse)
post #19 of 36 Old 08-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Rock God

very illegal. and very dangerous. the HID was not meant to be used in a halogen reflector housing. there is way too much glare and no cut off. sure it lights up everything you can see, but they can blind the crap out of oncoming traffic 95% of the time.

HIDs in the proper housing are awesome especially when used with a projector. but the majority are not in the correct housings and are a danger to everyone. it is too easy to buy these lights and they are not illegal in themselves, but when installed into the incorrect housings they are.

read up on hidplanet.com and search haknslash for good information. he has been doing retro projectors for many vehicles for years and does them the right way, ensuring proper adjustment and cutoff.

sorry if i come off a bit harsh, but this is my #1 pet peeve in the automotive world right now.

performance mods: 3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm lift, ProComp MX-6 shocks, 35 x 12.50 Super Swamper SSRs, 17x8.5" Procomp 9001s in Knight Chrome with 4.5" backspace, Bulldog Fab rear bumper with tire carrier, Smittybilt XRC front bumper, cooltech muffler relocate

appearance mods: budget grille mod, painted A/C rings, made side markers into blinkers, removed "Jeep" front bling.

Last edited by SRTpusher; 08-11-2009 at 03:54 PM.
post #20 of 36 Old 08-11-2009, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
very illegal. and very dangerous. the HID was not meant to be used in a halogen reflector housing. there is way too much glare and no cut off. sure it lights up everything you can see, but they can blind the crap out of oncoming traffic 95% of the time.

HIDs in the proper housing are awesome especially when used with a projector. but the majority are not in the correct housings and are a danger to everyone. it is too easy to buy these lights and they are not illegal in themselves, but when installed into the incorrect housings they are.

read up on hidplanet.com and search haknslash for good information. he has been doing retro projectors for many vehicles for years and does them the right way, ensuring proper adjustment and cutoff.

sorry if i come off a bit harsh, but this is my #1 pet peeve in the automotive world right now.
There are always some like you floating about . .truth be told I have installed and have helped install many HID's in factory housings. occasionally you get some glare which can be drastically reduced or eliminated with some aligning . . If you have major glare issues its because the other drivers are inconsiderate or ignorant enough not to aim their headlights.
post #21 of 36 Old 08-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:

Your point is well taken but I would imagine my Jeep sitting 5 ft off the ground has more potential for damage to others then my lights do. I wish I could fork over the $600+ for those JK projectors but these work for me right now. I'll check out that link you posted so thank you for the info.

~Rhino Lining tub
~Katzkin interior
post #22 of 36 Old 08-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Rock God

Quote:
the HID was not meant to be used in a halogen reflector housing.
get your facts straight

HID's were available on many vehicles without projects for a long time

i had some stock on my 02 Maxima, the difference is, the housing were DESIGNED for the pattern an HID bulb puts out
post #23 of 36 Old 08-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepik View Post
get your facts straight

HID's were available on many vehicles without projects for a long time

i had some stock on my 02 Maxima, the difference is, the housing were DESIGNED for the pattern an HID bulb puts out
Installing HIDs in any housing designed to use a halogen bulb is no good. Like mentioned before it wasn’t designed to use HIDs and there’s usually a lot of stray light shooting around that can blind on coming traffic.

Yes, there were none projector style housing that had HIDs from the factory but those housing was specially designed for HIDs.

Projectors are just a new efficient designed headlight that’s also compact and can put out a good spread of light. There are also projectors that were designed to use halogen bulbs.

They are trying to do away with the ribbed style lens because it blocked light. Most cars today are using free forming reflectors or projectors to put out maximum light output.

Do you know...In the US not every road sign is lit so manufactures (SAE was also involved) wanted headlights to have 30% of light output to aim high for road signs. With Halogen it wasn’t bright enough to bother most on coming traffic.
When HIDs was first introduced you find them on mostly European cars because over there most road signs are self light so their headlights can concentrate 100% to the ground. Hence the very sharp cut off.
I think there was some sort of loop hole or slight design change for US use.

Last edited by Chris85xlt; 08-11-2009 at 05:37 PM.
post #24 of 36 Old 08-11-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85xlt View Post
Installing HIDs in any housing designed to use a halogen bulb is no good. Like mentioned before it wasn’t designed to use HIDs and there’s usually a lot of stray light shooting around that can blind on coming traffic.

Yes, there were none projector style housing that had HIDs from the factory but those housing was specially designed for HIDs.

Projectors are just a new efficient designed headlight that’s also compact and can put out a good spread of light. There are also projectors that were designed to use halogen bulbs.

They are trying to do away with the ribbed style lens because it blocked light. Most cars today are using free forming reflectors or projectors to put out maximum light output.

Do you know...In the US not every road sign is lit so manufactures (SAE was also involved) wanted headlights to have 30% of light output to aim high for road signs. With Halogen it wasn’t bright enough to bother most on coming traffic.
When HIDs was first introduced you find them on mostly European cars because over there most road signs are self light so their headlights can concentrate 100% to the ground. Hence the very sharp cut off.
Good info :thumbsup:
post #25 of 36 Old 08-11-2009, 06:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Everytime "HID" is mentioned the forum police pop up. I for one have the stock bulbs in my Jeep if I got pulled over. Pain in the ass as it be, I'd swap them out and take what happens. I never get flashed, I never get flipped off. I'd imagine it to be annoying, there are so many vehicles here in Vegas with them in stock housings...mine is just another one the road.

I've had HIDs in my last two vehicles and love them, I'll continue to run 'em too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode