JK Build Finally Started - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 07-15-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

JK Build Finally Started

After a few months of collecting parts we finally started putting this thing together. Over the past few days we got the suspension, drive shafts and axles done, the Rock Hard cage installed and the wheels and tires on. We still have to do the bumpers and rocker guards (when they get here) and the front and rear sway bars.

The suspension is a Teraflex 4" LA, but it certainly provides more than 4" of lift. I tried a set of 35s, but they looked too small. We put these 37s on it today and they don't have much room to move. Granted we will gain some tire room in the front with the stubby bumper and the leveling kit, but these tires still look awfully big with this lift. I can't go to 6" springs because of bumper height laws so I am considering adding a body lift and/or installing flat fenders to gain a little room. Anybody have an opinion, personal experience or any suggestions?

As always, thanks for the input.

Oh yea, we will be using a matching spare. Everyboy that saw it in the shop today asked that question so I'll answer it right away on here. It will be installed with the rear bumper.

Last edited by Hot Duck; 07-23-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Rock God

Looks good, I like those rims on the orange, I just got my 3.5 RK mid arm put on today and I am in desperate need of new shoes, about $800 shy of how much I need

07 Sahara Unlimited STEEL BLUE
Current Mods:3.5 Rock Krawler Mid Arm,
Teraflex drag linkflip kit(thanks Rooster),
18" XD Addict's on 35x12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 06:16 AM
Rock God

I like it. I'm partial to the orange though. I'm regreting not going with 37's on mine now.

Jeremey
post #4 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 07:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That thing looks tough!
post #5 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Great looking jeep. What kind of wheels are those?

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #6 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 07:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Loos sweet.
post #7 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Great looking jeep. What kind of wheels are those?

Jason
They are 5836 Pro Comps (18x9). These were actually my 4th choice in wheels because my first few choices either would not fit becaue of the front hubs, were out of stock, were discontinued or on back order until September. The chrome strips on the inner spokes of these wheels are removeable so I may take them off and paint them the body color or just plain black. I'll see how they grow on me after a few days.
post #8 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Granite Guru

you may want to turn youe rear shocks over. looks good
post #9 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank View Post
you may want to turn youe rear shocks over. looks good
dont flip the shocks, you do that and if u hit the bar on a rock.. u gonna bend the shock and its useless.. the way he has them is fine because it can take more abuse..

as for the jeep.. looks sweet.. i got the 6" TF LA on my jeep and i have 37's and they look small.. 40's next year .. what axles are you running since i see u took the stock stuff out..

07 2dr Rubicon - Teraflex 6" LA - 37 KM2's - LoD rear bumper - Rockhard front stubby - Poison Spyder Flares - etc.

upcoming: Front D60, 40's, beadlocks.

post #10 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGEN View Post
don't flip the shocks, you do that and if u hit the bar on a rock.. u gonna bend the shock and its useless.. the way he has them is fine because it can take more abuse..
That's what I thought as well.

Quote:
....I got the 6" TF LA on my jeep and i have 37's and they look small.. 40's next year ..
I wish I could go 6" with 40s, but MD has become fairly strict with their enforcement of the lift laws.

Quote:
...what axles are you running since i see u took the stock stuff out..
I went with the Currie Rock Jock 60s. I narrowed it down between Currie and Dynatrac because I wanted the same company building both the front and rear axles and it seemed that Currie and Dynatrac were the main players. I have used Dynatrac on other projects, but I wanted to try something new this time so I got the Currie 60s. They are somewhat of an overkill right now even with the 37s, but I am planning a Hemi swap and I wanted to build this JK right the first time.

Last edited by Hot Duck; 07-16-2009 at 07:10 PM.
post #11 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

We installed the leveling kit on the front today, but the sway bars did not arrive. They should be here tomorrow. We are using an ORO SwayLoc (manual) on the front and the Currie AntiRock on the rear. We are also hoping to start knocking out the install of the PSC Hydro assist tomorrow if time and the delivery schedules allow. I'll snap a few more pictures tomorrow.
post #12 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
dont flip the shocks, you do that and if u hit the bar on a rock.. u gonna bend the shock and its useless.. the way he has them is fine because it can take more abuse..
it is much easer to poke a hole it that shock housing then it would ever be to bend the shock rod. even bending the housing will make the shock leak and then its no good. look at all the high end shocks there mounted like that for a reason. sorry not trying to start **** on your thread.the jeep looks great.

Last edited by tank; 07-16-2009 at 07:31 PM.
post #13 of 28 Old 07-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Granite Guru

Your ride looks great. nice looking build.
post #14 of 28 Old 07-17-2009, 08:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Duck View Post
That's what I thought as well.

I wish I could go 6" with 40s, but MD has become fairly strict with their enforcement of the lift laws.

I went with the Currie Rock Jock 60s. I narrowed it down between Currie and Dynatrac because I wanted the same company building both the front and rear axles and it seemed that Currie and Dynatrac were the main players. I have used Dynatrac on other projects, but I wanted to try something new this time so I got the Currie 60s. They are somewhat of an overkill right now even with the 37s, but I am planning a Hemi swap and I wanted to build this JK right the first time.
I know it depends where you are but you may be able to get away with the 6". There are folks around where I'm at in MD running 6+" of lift and 37's. You could always trim the fenders to give the meats some breathing room too.

At any rate, it looks damn good!
post #15 of 28 Old 07-17-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverzendz View Post
I know it depends where you are but you may be able to get away with the 6". There are folks around where I'm at in MD running 6+" of lift and 37's. You could always trim the fenders to give the meats some breathing room too.

At any rate, it looks damn good!
Most of the cops here don't give us too much trouble, but there are about half a dozen (between all departments in thie area) that seem to live just for the chance to bother lifted vehicles.

I am hesitant to trim the painted fenders so I have ordered a pair of steel flat fenders to give it a little more room. I know that there is a debate on steel vs plastic fenders, but the steel is easier to modify if needed. I am going to install one before painting it to see what it looks like. They should be here this coming week.

The sway bars did not come again today. Hopefully we will see them Monday. Here are a few new pics with the leveling kit installed on the front as well as a few pictures of the Rock Hard cage installed.

Scratch the picture idea. It will not allow me to post any more than the ones that i already have in this thread. I'll find a place to post them online and put them there for you all to view.
post #16 of 28 Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Rock God

Garage

very cool hot dock... did u happen to look into the Teraflex D60? i was thinking about maybe getting that when i plan to upgrade my rear axle.. since it goes with the lift and everything.. im gonna hold out the longest i can on the front axle..

07 2dr Rubicon - Teraflex 6" LA - 37 KM2's - LoD rear bumper - Rockhard front stubby - Poison Spyder Flares - etc.

post #17 of 28 Old 07-27-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
very cool hot dock... did u happen to look into the Teraflex D60? i was thinking about maybe getting that when i plan to upgrade my rear axle.. since it goes with the lift and everything.. im gonna hold out the longest i can on the front axle..
I did look at the TF axle and it looks great, but I wanted the front and rear axle to come from the same manufacturer and I don't think that the TF front axle is out yet. Like you, I thought about doing the rear first, but then thought about the weaker front axle. Then after much debate I decided to bite the bullet and do them both at the same time figuring I can recover some of the expense by selling the factory axles. As I have stated before, it took me many years to figure this out, but I have found that I can sell the factory parts left over from a project a lot easier if I sell them BEFORE I break them!

On another note, can anybody suggest a site where I can upload pictures? I want to post some updates here, but I don't have any space left on this site.
post #18 of 28 Old 07-27-2009, 09:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Duck View Post
On another note, can anybody suggest a site where I can upload pictures? I want to post some updates here, but I don't have any space left on this site.

Photobucket is great...
post #19 of 28 Old 07-29-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
Photobucket is great...
Thanks for the info on that web site. I will start uploading pictures there because I am out of space on the other sites I am using.

Here is a quick update. The front and rear sway bars have been installed. The PSC hydro assist steering setup has been installed. The front bumper (Rugged Ridge) had been installed and we did a quick test fit of the Mountain Offroad flat fenders this afternoon. The fenders fit perfectly, but we are going to widen them a few inches before we paint them just to keep things legal.

Last edited by Hot Duck; 07-29-2009 at 12:26 AM.
post #20 of 28 Old 07-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Granite Guru

Looks awesome so far!!

I do have a question though, there is a small square hole to the left of the fairlead on the front bumper...fairly obvious to see, whats the purpose of the hole? Just wondering, the RR is on my bumper list.

08 JKU X - Flame Red w/ a few Doo Dads
post #21 of 28 Old 07-29-2009, 08:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge8604 View Post
Looks awesome so far!!

I do have a question though, there is a small square hole to the left of the fairlead on the front bumper...fairly obvious to see, whats the purpose of the hole? Just wondering, the RR is on my bumper list.
At first I though it was a HiLift jack point..... after a closer look it looks like their logo

check this:
http://thejeep.com/shop/images/xhdtops135.gif

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 07-29-2009 at 08:31 AM.
post #22 of 28 Old 07-29-2009, 08:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Indeed one hot duck, great looking rig!
post #23 of 28 Old 07-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Rock God

Looks great & nice job! Now you need to go with 38s to fill those fenderwells back up!

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #24 of 28 Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge8604 View Post
Looks awesome so far!!

It reads rII so I am guessing it is the Rugged Ridge logo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prope View Post
Looks great & nice job! Now you need to go with 38s to fill those fenderwells back up!
No doubt. At first I thought that the 37s were going to be too tight in there, but with the different fenders they have plenty of room to move!

I took the fenders to the metal shop this morning and they said that they will be done in two weeks. The shop is closed all of next week for a huge offshore fishing tournament (all of the guys are in the tournament) so they will not get them finished until the following week. No big deal. These guys are worth waiting for because they do incredible work. The shop is named Metal Magic and the name certainly fits!
post #25 of 28 Old 07-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

love the tube fenders.. how much they run you?

and the Swayloc.. i've never seen those.. im guessing u can use those with the rubicons.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode