Which brand trailer tire ? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-08-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Which brand trailer tire ?

Looking to purchase a set of trailer tires. 225/75/15 with a D load range. Like to know what brand tires you guys have and how you like them? I've been doing a search and find pros and cons with each brand. Looking at Carlisle, Goodyear Marathon, Towmaster, Trailmaster. I have Trail America on there now. They came with the trailer and they're done. Radials vs bias ply ?

I have a 16' flatbed trailer, tandem axle, rated 7000 lbs. I tow the JK which weighs 5200 lbs. Tow maybe ten times a year, any where from 400 to 1000 miles round trip. I tow with a weight distribution hitch and sway controller in case your thinking I'm over the limit on the trailer.

Your opinions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-08-2009, 08:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
Looking to purchase a set of trailer tires. 225/75/15 with a D load range. Like to know what brand tires you guys have and how you like them? I've been doing a search and find pros and cons with each brand. Looking at Carlisle, Goodyear Marathon, Towmaster, Trailmaster. I have Trail America on there now. They came with the trailer and they're done. Radials vs bias ply ?

I have a 16' flatbed trailer, tandem axle, rated 7000 lbs. I tow the JK which weighs 5200 lbs. Tow maybe ten times a year, any where from 400 to 1000 miles round trip. I tow with a weight distribution hitch and sway controller in case your thinking I'm over the limit on the trailer.

Your opinions are appreciated.
Do a google for Carlisle and see what comes up. Very bad reviews.... I had heard nothing but good things about them from a few people and was going to swap to those but went back with the Marathons who also got some bad press but not near as much. Check the reviews on discount tire.... I just had to change out all 6 on my trailer and went ahead and bought the 7th. I learned that you should only expect 5 years on a trailer tire (somebody confirm cause that suks - I got that from the guy at Discount tire and found it online) and be damn sure that you keep them aired to the rating, don't store it for long periods on concrete (mine are on 2x10s), don't use tire dressing and keep them covered....

My Marathons lasted almost exactly 5 years before three of six separated at the tread on the sidewall. They were 10ply. And get the radials vs the bias.

post #3 of 4 Old 06-09-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks RG for the reply. It was helpful.

Regards from another RG.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-16-2009, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Just an update for those who care. I went with the Goodyear Marathons. ST225/75/R15. $450.00 for a set of four. We'll see how they last.

For those of you who don't care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode