JKOwners Forum banner

Best On Road Mud Terrain tire

76K views 80 replies 50 participants last post by  tapcola 
#1 ·
Hi all
I am looking for the best Road performing, road biased Mud terrain tire, obviously needs to be quiet as much as a MT can be, but primarily has to offer the best grip. Any MT will be more than sufficient for what I do offroad, however have found the AT's are pretty useless offroad when the track gets wet. I do a lot of hunting, so a lot of forests, grass tracks, dirt rocky tracks, slimy, slightly muddy type tracks.etc. no rock steps or heavy mud.

I started looking at aggressive AT's, but have had no luck with AT's in the past on previous vehicles, so am looking to go to MT's, and as the Jk spends most of its time on road, the MT's need to be as good as you can get.

Any suggestions, and any thought on what to stay away from.
Thanks

#7 · (Edited)
I also have KM2s mine are 40s love them on and off road. Very quiet on the road, they wear very good. Off road they air down nice and work very well. Toyos are good on the road but they suck off road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#43 ·
I love my hankook dynapros. One of them took alot of weight to balance. But they are wearing great
I ran these for a year. They were great on the road but in the rocks they popped easy. I ripped 4 sidewalls. They were cheap and thankfully had a good warranty.

I switched to the 35" Duratracs and have been incredibly happy. They are great on the road & ice/snow/mud. They have a thin sidewall as well but shouldn't be as vulnerable to puncture as the dynapros.

#10 ·
i have KM2's. they do run a bit smaller than what they are supposed to be. You can definitely lose traction easy on wet roads, but as long as you can be light with the skinny pedal you would be fine.

Duratracs and trail grapplers seem to have the best all around performance. mud grapplers are good but heavy and loud.

#14 ·
My BFG KM2's (second set now) are very good even with high milage. But the best I ever had was a set of Mick Thompson MTZ's they were very smooth and quiet after 40K miles! Still had enough tread depth to have value so I sold them for $100 each. Great tire. But I do think that the KM2's work better on soft dirt.

#15 · (Edited)
How come nobody talks about Swampers anymore. I ran a set of the TruXus MT's on the TJ and they were a very good all-around tire. Quiet on the road, and great in wet conditions because of the siping, and you couldn't stop them on the trails. Plus they run true to size. Only downside, I've heard they can be difficult to balance. The TruXus is definitely on my short list for when I upgrade.

Forgot to mention, I ran them for over 30,000 miles without regular rotations and they were only about half worn, I'm thinking I would of made 50,000 miles easy on 'em.

#34 ·
After getting my jeep I stopped back to a local 4x4 shop I use to go to. Owner said something about interco not making super swampers and they were on shortage while finding a new mfg. I didn't see anything online about it but didn't look to hard either. I had a set of ssr's pn my truck they were a great on and off road tire. Also had a set of iroks which were a good everything tire.

#18 ·
I ran both the KM2s and the MTRs w/K. The MTRs w/K are a better tire IMO. Off and on road probably the bet youll find. They dont wear as good as the KM2s but....I hated the KM2s on any kind of wet surface. They are borderline dangerous

#19 ·
I love my KM2s. great all around tire. the only problem i had with mine was when i hit a cast iron drain pipe in my driveway and shredded the sidewall on 2 of them!

i have to agree with some of the other posts about their wet road capabilities. i wouldnt say dangerous, but they do tend to slip a little bit, especially from a start up and on the white lines in the cross walks. i dont know about where you live, but around here the thick white lines in the crosswalks are a thicker paint than the yellow, and my tires dont like to grab that.

they did fantastic in the snow last winter. i like to do a little urban snow wheeling and couldnt get stuck even when i tried!

#20 ·
Yeah I wish we got some snow around here for me to play around in. I turned the ESP off and everything! Bullshit!

#24 ·
I have the KM2s in 35s. They run small but I have no complains with them except for snow traction. I don't think they grip that good unlike another comment on here. Though this is the only MT i've ever ran. My previous tires were the DuraTracs and those things were amazing on everyting. The DuraTracs are more of an AT/MT hybrid.

#25 ·
I love my Cooper STT's I haven't had them long enough to comment on tread life, but they get excelent traction in everything. The Sipes that are in each lug help a lot. Wet roads and snow are no problem either. The only tire that does better in the snow that I've seen on other Jeeps are the Duratracs.

#26 ·
KM2 here. They are awesome on road and off. I haven't had the bad experiences with the wet roads as others...I've never broke traction? Anyway...most impressed with the wear. My only complaint is I paid for a 37" tire and got closer to a 36" tire. But performance wise...great all around.

#27 ·
For swampers I really liked the SSRs the were very quiet on the road, they were the best wearing tire I have ever ran. Over 30,000 miles on them when I sold them and they were still over 75% tread. Plus they were awesome off road. Someone above mentioned km2s not bring to good in the snow???? I totally disagree these 40's bag out awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.