3Likes
  • 1 Post By thedirtman
  • 1 Post By Biginboca
  • 1 Post By Mattb19

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Slim Fuel tank

Looks like only a few people are bothered by the JKU fuel tank hanging up to 3" below the passenger frame rail from the searching I've done. Well I am now one of them. Lol
Definitely don't want the rear Genright fuel tank, for several reasons.
I spent about 14 hours on Pritchett Canyon last week and left my Jeep idling a lot of the time and still had over a half a tank of fuel left so I have some leeway on fuel capacity.
Looking around it only seems people offer larger or auxiliary fuel tanks.
Considering fabbing up a slimmer tank that is basically 3" shorter. Anyone remember what all is mounted in the stocker? I seen Genright offers the fuel pump ring.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 11:49 AM
Rock God

Not a bad idea. You will definitely lose a lot of capacity, I'm going to guess 4 gallons.

There was a company out of Australia selling an extended range tank that fit on the opposite frame rail tucked between the frame and drive shaft. Had to do some rerouting of some shit, but pretty elementary if I recall. It may be the ticket you are looking for.

Edit - or you can buy that fancy Genright wares and give me your new storage box.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #3 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Wheeler

I'm quoting other random people here, so take it FWIW - BUT most say Genright (despite def being a badass item), is still a fuel tank in the back area. Fumes, gas smells, vapors - all an issue. Filling it up at the pump - challenging. Prob not a good street driven idea (and for me w kids - no thanks).

post #4 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 12:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

20 gallons out back and under.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 12:32 PM
JKowners Vendor

If you are going to build one for the stock location, you will want to make it out of steel. Too much abuse for aluminum mounted there. In the rear, aluminum is fine. Some people don't like having to cut the storage out in the rear though. You do get the added benefit of being being able to run other types of suspension.

Use a TJ pump ring from someone like Motobilt. $200 for a Genright ring is crazy. Plus, the TJ rin is flush mounted like the stock tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Rock God

To reference what I posted earlier. Had a bit of time to research what I was talking about. It's labeled as The Long Ranger. ARB supposedly imported some stuff for the 4door.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #7 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 01:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Have you tried Titan tanks?
BlackOps82 likes this.

Some build info here:

New to jeeps, check this link
post #8 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 02:57 PM
Rock God

It seems like if you look at how the 4 door tanks "self clearance" you don't need to raise the tank the whole length. It's more of an issue right in the center where the breakover is. You would really need to alter maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the tanks length.

The easy solution is to just give it time and the tank self clearances as I said. That's how I'm doing it lol
cody48 likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Slim Fuel tank

Yeah, I guess I gained a little clearance last week lol.

Last edited by cody48; 04-18-2017 at 05:13 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 03:47 PM
Rock God

problem solved.

post #11 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Don't want a tank in the rear and sure don't want it in the cab. That looks nice though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #12 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 07:22 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody48 View Post
Don't want a tank in the rear and sure don't want it in the cab. That looks nice though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was seriously considering making a slim stock location tank (as far as I know, nobody has ever done this - there'd be very little market as most people just don't seem to care about the stock tank, and the hard core crowd wants to go 4-link triangulated rear and eliminate the exhaust crossover, both of which are impossible with the stock tank location even if slim). I ended up making a rear tank due to the above reasons, plus it'd be a seriously difficult and time consuming task to make a slim stock tank and skid. You'd also lose a ton of gas storage because not only do you lose on the bottom, but the stock tank presses hard up into the cross members which you probably wouldn't want to do with a metal tank.

Regarding fuel quantity, Pritchett Canyon takes very little fuel. I don't think I've ever used up more than a quarter tank on that trail or any single trail in Moab. Go run something like the Rubicon trail or anything longer or more remote and you'll want to bring extra fuel even with the full stock tank.

Why do you not want a tank in the rear? I can understand not wanting it in the cab, lots of obvious reasons there.

There are so many advantages to having it in the rear, and the only disadvantage I can think of is exhaust has to dump in front of the axle which is more of a thing to be happy about than a problem.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-18-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Weight behind the rear axle....stock tank is more centralized. Plus I already welded in that big ass storage box in the rear of tub flush with bottom of bumper.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-19-2017, 10:19 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody48 View Post
Weight behind the rear axle....stock tank is more centralized. Plus I already welded in that big ass storage box in the rear of tub flush with bottom of bumper.
You can sell the box ! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

SYNERGY, FOX,VKS,HUTCHINSON,
post #15 of 17 Old 04-19-2017, 10:33 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapcola View Post
You can sell the box ! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Or make the box into a tank lol
post #16 of 17 Old 04-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Granite Guru

Well there are a few options.. first you could have a fuel cell made locally to you.. any fab shop should be able to do it.. or call a fuel cell company and get a quote.. secondly a lot of late model mopar and chevy cars use small long plastic fuel tanks.. some one with fab skills may be able to get that to fit.

Float like Cadillac Sting like a Bemmer.
post #17 of 17 Old 04-20-2017, 01:14 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrockTT View Post
I'm quoting other random people here, so take it FWIW - BUT most say Genright (despite def being a badass item), is still a fuel tank in the back area. Fumes, gas smells, vapors - all an issue. Filling it up at the pump - challenging. Prob not a good street driven idea (and for me w kids - no thanks).
I have the genright tank and have had zero issues with any of the things you are concerned about. It is easy to see how you could have issues if you did a crappy job on install. The fuel line setup genright sends with the tank is piss poor quality for the price of the tank but can still work if you take your time. I am overall happy with my tank. I definitely carry extra gas on longer trails as I bought the 20 gallon tank.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
AdrockTT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode