No spare rear rack. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-01-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

No spare rear rack.

Just put this together. Lined out by Jeff Scherb.

Still waiting on my morryde hinges to mount the third bracket.

Still need to bolt in 3 ammo cans and an action Packer for a small kitchen, the cooler will be strapped down. Im going to need a step stool to get in the cooler while its up there and that can get bungeed to the cooler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 JK Sport Anvil auto
COI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-02-2017, 06:11 AM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

rack - shrack ; I dig your decal!
I have him on my jeep someplace for folks to know how we feel about them, too...

edit: I did check the rack out and it's nice. Personally, I'd find a good Krylon that didn't require primer/ had it mixed-in and "flat black-it ",but it's just my opinion. Aluminum saves weight ; couldn't you also have a rectangle of expanded aluminum mesh from McMaster-Carr riveted to the floor of your basket- or eye bolted so it'd be removable - so stuff smaller than a softball won't fall thru the bottom ?
Lastly , 'think heavier duty /reinforced hinges maybe needed with this if your Offroading it and carrying that type weight , I'd wonder ?

lllllll '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 04-02-2017 at 06:21 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have morryde heavy duty hinges on order. Ill be adding a third bracket once to the hinges once they're on.

Heaviest thing on the rack will be my food cooler and that will be centered. Recovery gear will be in one of the ammo cans or quick fist to the rack, first aid kit will be another, not sure what is going in the third can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 JK Sport Anvil auto
COI

post #4 of 11 Old 04-02-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Should be less then a spare tire. Heaviest thing will be the food cooler and that will be centered and wont always be up there. Will be carrying a strap D rings, an ax bow saw and shovel, and first aid kit. I need to dig my rafting stuff out of the snow to find my cooking gear. I plan on a Action Packer with a catering stove, a cast iron pan, cutlery, basically a small kitchen.

Put the Packer and cans up there to measure for the cooler.

Im short by about an inch for the cooler. If I remove the upper rail I can move the Packer and cans out and should have enough room for my old ***** Coleman cooler.

2014 JK Sport Anvil auto
COI
post #5 of 11 Old 04-02-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Pulled the rail and mounted the Action Packer, Ill bolt the cans in tomorrow. Should be plenty of room for my cooler.

2014 JK Sport Anvil auto
COI
post #6 of 11 Old 04-03-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Cans bolted in.

2014 JK Sport Anvil auto
COI
post #7 of 11 Old 04-03-2017, 11:14 PM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

nice! That is very versatile.

lllllll '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ
post #8 of 11 Old 04-10-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Strapped the cooler in to test fit. This cooler is older then I am, I have a new one of these on the way. Will be mounting a CB antenna behind it, the cooler wont always be on there.

2014 JK Sport Anvil auto
COI
post #9 of 11 Old 04-11-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have a Front Runner tailgate table I have yet to install, but with my back it seems low for cooking and prep.

The backside of the rack could either have a table clip on or be mounted and hinged. If I had a table off the rack I could use the FR table for a staging area for food or drink prep, with the upper table for actual cooking.

2014 JK Sport Anvil auto
COI
post #10 of 11 Old 04-12-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

New cooler arrived. perfect fit. I wanted a Ozark Trail cooler but measurements dint look like it would fit.

2014 JK Sport Anvil auto
COI
post #11 of 11 Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Finally got the Morryde HD hinges installed. They dont open as wide as the stock hinges do, the rear glass rubs on the rack.

Im gonna have to push the rack out before putting in the third bracket for the rack.

2014 JK Sport Anvil auto
COI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode