JKOwners Forum banner

JK-8 going LS

28K views 172 replies 26 participants last post by  jvandy50 
#1 ·
My wife and I had talked about a Hemi swap to keep the Mopar these for a couple years knowing this 3.8 would give up sooner than later. Well, it was definitely sooner. Just as we were closing on the new house with a shop the 3.8 spun a cam bearing. When I started running into road blocks with the Hemi (lack of kit availability and seeing the issues other were having) I stopped and opened up to the possibility of the LS. Thinking I wanted the GEN V 5.3 but after talking to both Jon and Robbie, they talked me into the GEN IV 6.0 LS2 and 6L80E.

6.0L from a 2013 Sierrra HD 4wd with 30k miles

6L80E from a 2013 Chevy 1500 2wd with 33k miles

241J from a 2015 Manual trans JK with 50k miles

Yes, that is my 2 post lift sitting idle. Plans for the house called out 4" concrete in the RV bay but when drilled it was only 2.5". I will need to pour footings but the cure time puts me will into our Moab trip so I decided to perform the swap with body on frame. Sucks!

Transmission modified

Transfer case input shaft replaced

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I did! I talked to both Jon and Robbie at length and cannot say anything bad about either. RPM was able to meet my short deadline of getting to Moab in May so I went that direction.

Right on man! What size exhaust pipe? Go check out my thread if you want, I've got the same headers.

I also spy that ARP header studs, Sweet piece of kit right?

I have found ZERO instances where I was like "man I really wish I could have taken the body off". I am sure for the pros it makes it easier and faster but I was glad it was on when I was fitting everything so I could monitor fitment on the fly.
Killer build and I will read your thread a few more times before I finish. 2.5" exhaust is the plan since I have the Magnaflow rock crawler already but that may change after talking to a guy who does all the local hot rods and race cars.

Love those ARP header studs! The price tag only hurts until they are installed. I will never use anything else in the future.

Thanks for the confidence of body on; this is how we use to do it in the old days and I think it will go smooth but watching all the MoTech videos and seeing how clean everything can be I wanted to do body off so I could clean and paint every inch while it was apart. I still will but it will take longer.

#6 · (Edited)
Right on man! What size exhaust pipe? Go check out my thread if you want, I've got the same headers.

I also spy that ARP header studs, Sweet piece of kit right?

I have found ZERO instances where I was like "man I really wish I could have taken the body off". I am sure for the pros it makes it easier and faster but I was glad it was on when I was fitting everything so I could monitor fitment on the fly.

#9 ·
Sweet! Another LS Swap thread! I'm goin with similar specs for mine and can't wait to get started. Maybe next week!

2012 6.0 L96 28k miles
2011 6L80 24k Miles

Oh...started my 1 ton swap too. I want those under the rig before I start the LS Swap. Hence the delay in pulling the 3.8 and getting started. I will start a thread as soon as I get going. :grin2:

SuMo

Reactions: Rubi-8
#19 ·
The AC will work fine there as long as you don't have a lowered jeep or no bump stops. :grin2:

Just verify after the build that you have enough bump stop to keep the AC compressor from making close friends with the upper control arm mount on the axle.

#18 ·
Yea I would have had it done in 2-3 months! I bet I haven't put 300 miles on it since it's been home, I had my corvette catch fire from mods and since then I've stayed in a diesel truck with door handles for my own piece of mind. I have trust issues with gas powered items since

#21 ·
I have my a/c in that location. I knew I would have to increase my bumpstops so there would not be any contact with that control bar mount and the a/c plus I wanted to install some synergy 4.5" springs in the front to help with the LS weight and nose sag. So with the springs out I lifted the jeep up with axle against the bumpstops then added 1/2" to 3/4" to the amount I would need to clear and so far that has worked, ended up with an additional inch of bumpstop with what was already there.

#28 ·
Did you check the clearance of the the power steering pump's reservoir to the steering gearbox? Mine would hit, same year engine. I ended up using a 2004 truck power steering pump with the ham can reservoir already attached.

#36 ·
Slow progress this weekend as both kids were home and got to hang out with my Grand Daughter.

Went through four different power steering pumps and finally the light bulb went on and I ordered the bracket from a 2004 6.0. Now if West Texas Off-road gets by box done I might be running this weekend.

Attachments

#37 ·
Sorry you had trouble getting the pump to fit. Mine.......Awe crap! The light bulb just went off, I did swap the mount when I changed pumps. Truly sorry I misinformed you. It has been a year since I did mine and it got a bit frantic getting some of it to fit up.

Sorry again, glad you got it.

#39 ·
I got a lot done over the weekend.

She fired right up! See the video on my https://www.instagram.com/overthehill_jk/?hl=en

List to finish in the next 10 days:

Wire the Penstar fan
Exhaust
Novak T/C shift cable
Weld up mounts for Winters shift cable
Truss rear axle
Install Artec skidplates
Install 4.56 gears

All this is dependant upon West Texas Off-road gettng my steering box done in time. They have had it since march! Hopefully we have a positive conversation this morning.

Attachments

#45 ·
Thanks man! It was a huge mile stone to get her fired. Even made my wife happy!!!!

Motobuilt has a new LS computer mount you might be able to use.

Some have reported the harness is in a bind if mounted like the newest generation from RPMExtreme but I routed mine a little different and happy with the results. Having an electronics background I like clean, neat, and organized wires without stressing any connections.
Looking good.

We try and make the harness work for several different layouts. With a little patience and vision you can run the harness just about like factory would and make yourself proud when you pop the hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.