JKOwners Forum banner

Pentastar fans with Motech LS swaps

25K views 70 replies 21 participants last post by  coilrod 
#1 · (Edited)
Can anyone tell me why the pentastar fans are an "upgrade" for the LS swaps? Also, why is the pentastar fan $700 from Motech when the fan is ~$410 elsewhere? I need to upgrade the radiator and fan, but it seems the markup is a bit ridiculous. Are there other options?

#6 · (Edited)
^This, so the cost is in the fan, harness, AND programming. The Motech site doesn't accurately reflect this so calling was absolutely beneficial. Moreover, since I have my tune from John at Overland Performance, the cost is actually a bit less for the kit since I won't need programming from Robbie. The video above shows the Pentastar fan and Motech has the harness for that fan with a few different radiator options (single pass versus dual pass). Motech also has a fan kit with the Camaro SS fan. Robbie informed me the best cooling performance comes from the Camaro SS fan and 52mm dual pass radiator. A note on this, since John (Overland Performance) has been supplying my tunes, he will need to provide me a new tune with the Camaro fan tables. Since I am towing in the mountains of Colorado I definitely need to ensure I keep things cool.

#4 · (Edited)
It's thinner and moves quite a bit more air. I picked up a brand new one for $360-ish on ebay. RPMEXTREME did the programming for no additional cost I just had to let them know I was changing to it from the regular fan in my 08' when I ordered my kit.

You only need to worry about this if you have a an 07 -11 model if you're 12 + you already have the pentastar fan.

#7 ·
Let me tell you that doing this is an enormous upgrade!!! I cant even get it to hit above 215 if I try now. I used to get it to 240 with little effort. I cant recommend it enough. Amazing!!

#10 ·
We support many radiator and fan set ups. On an early JK when you purchase the PWM fan upgrade it includes a new Mopar fan module(or SS) and a HD harness that we build. The Pentstar and Camaro SS fans can draw 70 amps so the leads go directly to the battery with a fusible link, we run 8 gauge cables. Then we program your ECM to drive the fan and there are several options here.

The advantage to the Pentstar fan is it drops right in with no mods and runs our standard coolant bottle mount. The SS fan requires a little modding but not much, if you purchase our HD radiator we will fit it for you. Both the Pentstar and the Camaro SS fans run about 19" blades(vs 17" on a 3.8 JK) with an outrunner ESC motor design meaning they can pull a lot more air. I prefer the SS fan, it's a little quieter and may be a little more powerful.

#11 ·
Robbie do you have a part number for the ss fan that you guys use? All I see are the dual fans on ebay.

#17 ·
I'll jump on with a positive review of the Pentastar fan. Robbie and the folks at Motech recently helped me change from a dual conventional fan setup (SRT fans) to the PWM Pentastar fan. It is absolutely amazing. As others, including Robbie, have mentioned it bolts right in, looks completely factory, and works really well. I never had an overheating issue with my LS3, but driving around at low speed my temps would get up to about 210-215 (completely normal). With the Pentastar fan, I think I've only seen it over 200 once or twice. Normal driving it stays at 190-200. It is quiet when idling, but has the potential to move a ton of air. I also have a vented hood, which helps remove some of the high pressure from the engine compartment when driving at highway speed, but the fan has definitely made a difference. With the huge fan blade, it leaves the back side of the radiator unobstructed, so air passes through more easily at highway speed. If you have heat issues, reach out to Robbie. He'll get you squared away!

#18 ·
I just found the camaro fan online for 335.00 I wonder if I should go with that one over the pentastar fan? Anyone running that fan?

#21 ·
There is a green and a blue wire coming out near the bussman fuse block that I believe you said were the controls for the fan when I decide to upgrade to the pentastar fan.

#23 ·
We breakout a connector with two wires(blue-green) for fan control with our harness. We use the stock JK fan controls on many builds and have the option to use the GM ECM to control the fans. We can support single DC fan motors, dual DC fan motors and various variable speed fan motors using these two wires. The ECM must be programmed for the fan you are running.

#38 ·
#40 ·
This plug has an interesting story. This plug is used both on the SS fan and the Pentstar fan so you'd think it would be easy to get. Early on we tried Digikey, Mouser.... to no avail. We considered just using a HD 3 terminal connector but then the customer would have to cut and crimp. We tried to purchase the connector through the manufacturers but neither would sell to us as they claimed it was a propitiatory connector; whatever seemed stupid.

To make a short story long it was John at Overland Performance that approached the actual supplier in Europe and purchased the components, he had to purchase a large quantity so we went in with him. Give John at Overland Performance a call, if he can't help you get one we will. I was hoping they would be available by now but since we have many in stock I haven't looked.

#43 ·
Interesting topic about the Pentastar fan. I don't currently have a LS swap but have a 2014 JKUR which I using for towing a 2700 lb trailer out here in the hot west (Sacramento). When going up long and steep grades in ambient temps over 95, I can see temps on the EVIC go up over 240. If I try to keep speed, the vehicle will go into limp mode whcih limits RPMs to around 4000 and then it cools rapdily. I attribute some of the problem to having 4.10s with Wrangle Duratracs (34.4) casuing engine RPMs to jump above 5000 for a prolonged period, but I don't think that is the whole story. I did have some Drake off-road inserts in the grill whcih I have since removed. It has not been warm enough as of yet to see if the insert removal will make a difference. I have read and observed that the Pentastar fan really does not kick on until 210, and does not reach full duty cycle until the temp is 226. A company called HPTuners makes a tuner that you can reprogram the fan to reach full duty cycle at any temp you choose. I have read that another Jeeper was successful in aleviating his over heating issues by reprogramming the fan to reach full duty at 214. So MoTech having all this expereince with the Pentastar fan, do you think this would be an effective strategy to keep the stock Pentastar from overheating and going into limp mode while towing out here in California?
Appreciate your input:grin2: (PS about 4 years from an LS swap)

#44 ·
Both the Pentstar and Camaro SS fans are far superior tot he discrete, DC, unsealed, brushed, single wound(two speeds through a JK fan. Many Hemi applications run the Pentstar fan full time. The Pentstar fan(like the SS fan) is PWM controlled, an outrunner design for more torque and larger fan blade, brushless, sealed.....

The issue with these variable speed fans is if you run them to hard for too long they will overload. If you have a winch, lights, grille inserts, etc., in front of your grille once you get going down the highway most of the incoming air gets diverted over the hood. So at 80 mph you have the cooling fan screaming for hours to keep the engine cool. These fans can pull 350+ watts and I have seen the cables melt from the heat generated. We have upgraded to 8 and 6 gauge wire to help avoid this. The fans will shut down if worked too hard so the manufacturer needs to limit the fan output to work within the fans ability. The discrete DC fan motors had no logic and would run until they failed. We limit the duty cycle of these fans to between 80-85% to protect the fan module from overload. The solution if you have a heavy JK or tow is keep the grille obstructions to a minimum. Even screen mesh in the grille openings will cause surface tension creating a barrier deflecting the air flow over the hood. Don't run reduced opening grilles like angry eye grilles, sink the winch, put the lights outboard, put the license plate down below, run a manual condenser if possible and get rid of the useless trans cooler in the bottom of the automatic AC condenser.

I have seen Hemi's overheat with this fan but you can't wind the fan up more or it will fail. The Camaro SS fan seems to be more tolerant to shutdown than the Pentstar fan so I personally prefer it but it is not a drop in like the Pentstar.

#51 ·
Pull your panties out of your ass, nobody said shit about the guys ethics. The point is that I don't care if he is passing it straight across for what he paid. 1 little piece of plastic and 3 metal prongs that you have to assemble yourself isn't worth $40 especially considering its not even required.

#54 ·
Ya ya did with the **** you price....
I was the one who said it sounded like a **** you price, not DK. Maybe it was a bit harsh, but that's beyond ridiculous for a simple connector.

Buying in bulk generally brings the price down. Hate to see what they cost if you just bought one from the supplier.

The real question is why is Jeep and GM using this expensive, impossible to find connector?

#55 ·
Anyone have an update to this plug part #?

I called and left a message with John at Overland Performance. Hopefully they are still available. I'm good at running wires and soldering but having that factory look and able to quickly remove the fan if needed would be worth the $40. I've spent enough on everything else high end...what's one more?

#65 ·
The programming for the fan is in the TCM and yes, and 07 can be programmed for it.

I am looking for a self resetting circuit breaker for the pentastar fan and was wondering what size to get. Ive got good quality 8g wire straight to the battery. What size breaker do you suggest?
Call John @Overlandperformance. He has everything you need. Huge help!

John Schumacher
OVERLAND PERFORMANCE, LLC
Mailing Address:
13427 PACES Pointe Drive.
GONZALES, LA 70737
Shop Address:
15615 Airline Highway
Prairieville, LA 70769
PHONE: 225.304.6288
FAX: 225.677.9460
EMAIL: john@overlandperformance.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.