How often do you replace this nut? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-17-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

How often do you replace this nut?

A buddy of mine was over the other day while I was installing an axle shaft and he asked me if the shaft nuts were the original ones. I said yes they were and he informed me that I should be replacing those at every removal.... asked why he said something about stretching the threads. Just figured I'd ask the experts here because I've never heard of anything like that for this particular part.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-17-2017, 03:45 PM
Wheeler

Should you? Yes. Does everyone? No. I used a smig of blue locktite and a paint marker. If they move after that replace them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 Old 03-17-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Considering these are oem originals from 08' and have been off and on about 7-8 times I think I will get a new set.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-17-2017, 05:59 PM
Rock God

This isn't one of the critical applications. It's not like it needs to retain hub bearing preload.
If the locking feature is good enough that you can't run the nut on with your hand, it's still good enough to reuse.
There are some applications where the service manual does say to always go together with a new nut.

After 7 - 8 eight times, I'd be replacing it, too, even if I couldn't turn it by hand.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #5 of 8 Old 03-18-2017, 04:22 AM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

it states these wear and easily spin off after they get tightened then taken off several times , they are low cost ( relatively ) and I almost swear they suggest crap like that to maintain non libel if someone doesn't torque it enough to hold the thing now that they don't have little cotter pin, springs retainers like my older Jeeps do . anyway, you can reuse until you muck it up from torquing tight and stretch a little or reverse it and hammer to free ( don't hammer axle ends ) a seized one , etc. but I have used mine 3-4 times and next time I'll replace with new.
Seeing image at 6am of your unit bearing - particularly after changing them on my old XJ last weekend - makes me wonder why FCA doesn't bloody offer locking hubs on the darn JKs or JLs as an option . Sure would save on wear , a little mileage and beget that ' trail rated ' badge a little more cred...

lllllll '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ
post #6 of 8 Old 03-18-2017, 05:19 AM
Granite Guru

Part number?

:-)

< '81 CJ7, Chev power. Leaf springs baby!

2016 JKU Sport
The good guys: Synergy, Artec, MetalCloak, MCE, RockKrawler, Rock Hard, CrawlerConceptz
- 3.5" MC coils, Synergy arms and drag link flip.
- 37" BFG MTs on 17x8.5 -6

2013 GC... 5.7(MILF command centre)
post #7 of 8 Old 03-18-2017, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-OR View Post
Part number?

:-)
A pair of these.... p/n: 68048466AA just got me for $25. I bought OEM, aftermarket like crown are cheaper. I just don't trust many aftermarket parts anymore. I've been burnt too many times trying to save a buck.

For what's it worth the self locking properties on mine are barely there. I can almost run it down all the way by hand and this last time that I removed them they weren't that tight. I think they lost torque.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-18-2017, 06:09 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
A pair of these.... p/n: 68048466AA just got me for $25. I bought OEM, aftermarket like crown are cheaper. I just don't trust many aftermarket parts anymore. I've been burnt too many times trying to save a buck.
Thank you much kind sir.

I am off to Amazon, as I am sure others are now that you have graciously provided this. New axle pending and all that.

< '81 CJ7, Chev power. Leaf springs baby!

2016 JKU Sport
The good guys: Synergy, Artec, MetalCloak, MCE, RockKrawler, Rock Hard, CrawlerConceptz
- 3.5" MC coils, Synergy arms and drag link flip.
- 37" BFG MTs on 17x8.5 -6

2013 GC... 5.7(MILF command centre)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode