'12+ Hemi swap ?'s - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nucleophile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-17-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
'12+ Hemi swap ?'s

Right now my 2012 JK is finishing having the 5w580/NAG1 transmission rebuilt. I needed it running again and didn't have the extra $ right now to do a LS swap. I do want a V8 in the future, but after $2500 for the trans fix I don't want to feel I wasted this money.

I have looked at the JSS and AEV kits. They are expensive and include stuff I don't want/need.

I already have a MORE dual battery mount so I don't want to replace that. And have a snorkel that it's cheap insurance down here in FL (it used the OEM upper air box half) that I want to keep as well.

I don't like any the exhaust that those kits come with and plan on having the local muffler shop do the exhaust.

So where can I buy the parts for the swap that I need with out the extras I don't?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-17-2017, 10:46 AM
Rock God

There are 2 vendors on this site that blow the doors off of the 2 places you mentioned, they also both sell piece parts of the swap and not to mention are 100x more knowledgeable on the subject. RPMEXTREME and motech

Also good luck with that dual bettery setup and any v8 swap. It can be done but it's pushing it.

Last edited by Dkjeep; 03-17-2017 at 10:48 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-17-2017, 11:05 AM
Rock God

These guys will hook you up:

HotwireAuto - Fuel Injected Wiring Harnesses

In addition PM blackops(?). He is doing or has done the same thing.
BlackOps82 likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-17-2017, 11:15 AM
JKowners Vendor

Agree with Dkjeep. You can find a low mileage 5.7 VVT for $1500 all day. Hotwire Auto has the harness and ECU. Most mounts you can make yourself, though I'd suggest buying the motor mounts. Most everything else you can source locally.

How did you spend $2500 on your trans?? We sell those new in crate with a torque converter for less than that and you can sell your bad one. Or, we'd trade the bad for a good one and $750. Better still, trade for an SRT version, which is much better for a Hemi swap.

Good luck. With good planning, you can hit your target.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-17-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion 4x4 View Post
Agree with Dkjeep. You can find a low mileage 5.7 VVT for $1500 all day. Hotwire Auto has the harness and ECU. Most mounts you can make yourself, though I'd suggest buying the motor mounts. Most everything else you can source locally.

How did you spend $2500 on your trans?? We sell those new in crate with a torque converter for less than that and you can sell your bad one. Or, we'd trade the bad for a good one and $750. Better still, trade for an SRT version, which is much better for a Hemi swap.

Good luck. With good planning, you can hit your target.
That's with labor... Funny the original estimate was $1780 to rebuild it And a new torque converter. They didn't find any additional damage but when I asked for the total the guy said $2,6xx.xx. But I'm going to talk to the owner of the shop instead of the service writer.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-17-2017, 02:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

You may be able to save 2600 bucks just by buying an LS over a hemi.

Also, don't underestimate the benefits of running the GM 6l80 auto trans. It's light years ahead of anything from FCA. I wouldn't let the expenditure of rebuilding the stock trans determine the direction of the V8 swap. That road could lead to not being happy with the finished product and then you're screwed.

You needed the Jeep running, you rebuilt the trans, that's money well spent. You can always recoup some of that cash layout back buy selling the stock motor/trans after the swap.

Kevin
post #7 of 9 Old 03-17-2017, 05:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion 4x4 View Post
Excuse me? DKjeep was trying to steer him to an LS conversion. Unless of course he was referring to contacting those vendors (Motech and RPM) to buy USED hemi conversion parts. That is a real possibility.

I was the one who steered him to Hotwire Auto...............credit where credit is due!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
You may be able to save 2600 bucks just by buying an LS over a hemi.

Also, don't underestimate the benefits of running the GM 6l80 auto trans. It's light years ahead of anything from FCA. I wouldn't let the expenditure of rebuilding the stock trans determine the direction of the V8 swap. That road could lead to not being happy with the finished product and then you're screwed.

You needed the Jeep running, you rebuilt the trans, that's money well spent. You can always recoup some of that cash layout back buy selling the stock motor/trans after the swap.
He will be happy with a hemi swap as long as he never drives an LS swap with a 6L80 or 8L80

Hemi swaps are fine - you just have to have boundaries!
post #8 of 9 Old 03-18-2017, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
Excuse me? DKjeep was trying to steer him to an LS conversion. Unless of course he was referring to contacting those vendors (Motech and RPM) to buy USED hemi conversion parts. That is a real possibility.

I was the one who steered him to Hotwire Auto...............credit where credit is due!

He will be happy with a hemi swap as long as he never drives an LS swap with a 6L80 or 8L80

Hemi swaps are fine - you just have to have boundaries!
I am a GM guy. 20yrs ago I worked at a Pontiac dealership. I loved the LS series when it came out. My buddy worked (and still works) at the Dodge dealership. The GM V8 blew away all the other domestic V8s with the LS. But in recent years the Gen 3 Hemi 5.7L has become much improved.

My wife has been a Dodge truck person for years due to the styling and offering the Cummins like in her Big Rig. Her POV is a 2011 Ram 1500 (with will be traded in for a new Power Wagon or Cummin in the next few years). So I will always have a MOPAR in the driveway. Its nice to have the same engine in both vehicles, less quirks I have to learn and have parts interchangeability.

If I decide to go with the GM I will want the LT family (Gen V) and the 8L80, but there are very few L83/86 swaps running around right now. And even fewer with the 8L80 so very little feed back is available right now.

IDK now long it will be till I am able to do the swap. So right now I am still evaluating my options. The truck VVT 5.7 Hemi has the same power as the GM L96 6.0. Both are Iron Block and VVT. The L83 with running E85 has almost the same power as those two but with direct injection and may feel just as powerful at part throttle. Now I'm interested in how big of a difference the 8L80 will make.

Its easy to get a price for a LS swap with the parts I want. The Hemi swap is hard to find the pieces I want separate from a kit to get a price for it. The GM Gen V is still too new for me to weigh it into the mix (how the trans does and used engine availability/price) YET.

- 37 Irok's - 4.88 - Detroit/OX -
post #9 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 09:21 PM
Granite Guru

Well I guess I can chime in here! the NAG1 is a killer trans.. not much is needed for the swap.. wk bellhousing and converter. thats trans is a Mercedes designed trans and was used on AMG vehicles making big power.. and not only the SRT groups making nasty power. Secondly piece together you kit is way better.. if you have mechanical know how I wouldn't ever tell someone to buy a complete kit. AEV's stuff is awesome and designed in conjunction with Mopar from what I was told buy a source I can't share. finding pieces is easy I can assist you know problem.. and finally HP Tuners is available and we can properly tune our engines and transmissions!!!!!

Float like Cadillac Sting like a Bemmer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode