Need Front Control arm advice quick! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 03-05-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Need Front Control arm advice quick!

Hey guys and girls....

Just joined and this is my first post. I own a 2012 JKUR MW3 and just completed the install of the new Mopar 4" complete kit. I wouldn't say it is 100% complete though ha ha. I'm running 37x12.5x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the stock Rubi wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers. Everything is great with the exception of chopping down the rear of the MW3 rock rails and a bit of the pinch seam and the dreaded front lower control arm cam bolts. I had the Jeep aligned at my local Jeep dealer and they couldn't get anywhere near the amount of caster needed to dial in the front end. It steers horrible with pretty bad wandering and constant correction needed. So... I've been scouring the Internet looking for front adjustable uppers and lowers. I've sort of narrowed it down to the new Ruff Stuff 2" .25 wall with the 1.25 heim joints (not sure of running the non rebuildable heims) just found the Core 4x4 site and like the looks of the Tier 3 arms 5/16" wall with Currie Johnny Joints and Rusty's upper/lower radius arm front kit. RockKrawler adjustable arms are also on the list. I need to order these like today or tomorrow so I'm trying to weigh all the options as well as the ability to get them this week. Any thoughts on what ones you would choose? I just read the thread on here on the Rusty's full front radius kit and it seems like it has decent reviews, a few years old but I'm still digging for some reviews. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 03-05-2017, 08:26 AM
Rock God

I have a brand new set of rock krawler front lowers I would sell you. my location is 26034. pm me if you're interested.
post #3 of 45 Old 03-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Granite Guru

There are plenty of opinion threads online already. At the end of the day, a control arm is a control arm and any reputable brand that makes a thick wall control arm is going to work fine.

For every type of control arm end bushing out there, you'll find someone who loves it and some who hates it. Johnny Joints are arguably the "go-to" standard in the off-road community but more recently there have been a lot of new offerings coming out from other companies, some people feel there are far superior options now.

Also consider method of adjustability. For some people this is a big deal, and Synergy has really cornered the market on that one with all their products being adjustable without removing any joints from the vehicle. Other people don't really care, because once it's setup right you never have to change it so there's no real point to easy adjustability.

post #4 of 45 Old 03-05-2017, 08:37 AM
JKO Addict!

The current Mopar 4" kit comes with control arms? Who did the lift install? Sounds like install error if you have both control arms and cam bolts and can't get caster right.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 45 Old 03-05-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Your right christensent, they are all pretty damn good I'm sure. I do like the fact that the RK's are adjustable on the rig and I just saw the Synergy ones, I need to look at them closer. Thanks for the post!
post #6 of 45 Old 03-05-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

thedirtman... The kit comes with new rear upper and lowers and utilizes the stock front uppers and lowers with cam bolts on the lower control arm. I went with 37's instead of the recommended 35's but either way, there just isn't enough adjustment in the cam bolts to dial in the front end to the correct caster per the lift instruction, kinda doesn't make any sense. I figured I would at least get the 3.2* it stated in the procedure. No worries it makes better sense to get new beefy adjustable arms anyways.
post #7 of 45 Old 03-05-2017, 09:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Got it, they don't show what arms they are in the kit I looked at. If i were forced to buy adjustable control arms I would get Synergy, metal cloak, or off road evolution. I would personally avoid rough country, teraflex, rusty's, and rock krawler.
Garrett73 likes this.

Some build info here:

New to jeeps, check this link
post #8 of 45 Old 03-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Rock God

I would go for the synergy with their DDM Bushings. They are the only front arms bent for tire and ground clearance, they are adjustable on the rig, very stout, and zero maintenance with their latest DDM Bushing set up. They really are the best short arms for the JK and especially one that's a daily driver, IMO.
tapcola and Garrett73 like this.

Last edited by Biginboca; 03-05-2017 at 09:34 AM.
post #9 of 45 Old 03-05-2017, 10:51 AM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett73 View Post
Hey guys and girls....

Just joined and this is my first post. I own a 2012 JKUR MW3 and just completed the install of the new Mopar 4" complete kit. I wouldn't say it is 100% complete though ha ha. I'm running 37x12.5x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the stock Rubi wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers. Everything is great with the exception of chopping down the rear of the MW3 rock rails and a bit of the pinch seam and the dreaded front lower control arm cam bolts. I had the Jeep aligned at my local Jeep dealer and they couldn't get anywhere near the amount of caster needed to dial in the front end. It steers horrible with pretty bad wandering and constant correction needed. So... I've been scouring the Internet looking for front adjustable uppers and lowers. I've sort of narrowed it down to the new Ruff Stuff 2" .25 wall with the 1.25 heim joints (not sure of running the non rebuildable heims) just found the Core 4x4 site and like the looks of the Tier 3 arms 5/16" wall with Currie Johnny Joints and Rusty's upper/lower radius arm front kit. RockKrawler adjustable arms are also on the list. I need to order these like today or tomorrow so I'm trying to weigh all the options as well as the ability to get them this week. Any thoughts on what ones you would choose? I just read the thread on here on the Rusty's full front radius kit and it seems like it has decent reviews, a few years old but I'm still digging for some reviews. Any help is greatly appreciated.
i can definitely understand your confusion around the subject of new , aftermarket Control Arms .
I am a Synergy guy but am looking forward to Fusion 4X4s upcoming CA release to check-out what they bring to the table. I know , as others have said, that Metal Cloak and RK are great arms.

I have friends that run the Clayton arms long and short and they are basically built for Armageddon.

Wanna be even more confused?
So, as the past few years have seen the popularity of the grease-less bushing designed to replace either poor durability,squeaky Polyurethane joints or the higher maintenance Johnny Joints , it gets tough to separate the actual differences in arms . Take a look at these three companies' entry level JK adjustable CAs and tell me the difference. It seems the Ranchos look more closely bent for matching the odd JK JKU wheel clearances and have a larger diameter but they are all three basically the same exact arms , doesn't it seem?
Ranchos :

SuperLift:

ReadyLift:

Now, ReadyLift has its MaxFlex with JJs at both ends and then another with JJs at Frame then the grease-less Synergy bushing on the axle ends. Those are nice arms. So are these but they appear identical to the SL and the Rancho as far as forged ends with the bushing like Synergy Mfgs DDB.

is it just me or are those the same arms? I guess this may not be helping the OP with his questions DIRECTLY but does loosely relate to Adj CA /choices these days for a JK/ JKUs .
Garrett73 likes this.

lllllll '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ
post #10 of 45 Old 03-05-2017, 11:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Somebody had a full set of brand new RL arms here for $900

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Garrett73 likes this.

2007 JKR | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor l SteerSmarts YETI tie rod and flipped drag link | Synergy frame brace | Superlift front track bar l 37x12.5x17 MTR's on MB72's | Adams front DS | Rancho 5000x shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | RK rear track bar | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | Fox ATS | VKS sliders l Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors |
post #11 of 45 Old 03-05-2017, 11:34 AM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Somebody had a full set of brand new RL arms here for $900

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I think I saw those. They were the ones with thier DDB on one end and a JJ on the other, yeaH?
I wanted to have the $$$ so badly for them but not good timing. That was a good deal. The new Ranchos actually are beefy, well shaped and seem like a good deal.

lllllll '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ
post #12 of 45 Old 03-05-2017, 11:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Or double JJ not sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 JKR | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor l SteerSmarts YETI tie rod and flipped drag link | Synergy frame brace | Superlift front track bar l 37x12.5x17 MTR's on MB72's | Adams front DS | Rancho 5000x shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | RK rear track bar | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | Fox ATS | VKS sliders l Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors |
post #13 of 45 Old 03-05-2017, 12:45 PM
Rock God

I recently picked up a set of the core 4x4 tier 3 arms and as has been said any beefy arm out there with a good joint is going to work fine. I am more than happy with the fit and finish of the arms and they are the beef for sure.
Garrett73 likes this.
post #14 of 45 Old 03-05-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to grab a set of RockKrawler lower adjustable from ChucktheRipper and order a set of RockKrawler uppers from Quadratech, they are located in PA and are close to Mass so they should get here quick I hope. I think they will be perfectly fine for our JKUR and definitely dial in the front end minty...
post #15 of 45 Old 03-06-2017, 04:21 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett73 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to grab a set of RockKrawler lower adjustable from ChucktheRipper and order a set of RockKrawler uppers from Quadratech, they are located in PA and are close to Mass so they should get here quick I hope. I think they will be perfectly fine for our JKUR and definitely dial in the front end minty...

Make sure that the arms Chuck sells you were not in his pickup truck bed last week. If they were, they could be bent... you know.... seeing as how he rolled his Ford truck 5 times!!
tapcola and Garrett73 like this.

2014 JK Willys, 37x13.5-18 STT Pro, 3.5" RK with 1.25 body lift, 28" Fox 2.0 IFP, Ruff Stuff Tie Rod, Synergy Trackbar/Bracket/Sector Bracket, WTO Ram Assist, EVO RockStar Rear Brackets, ProRock 44U, RCV/Ten Factory shafts/E-Locker, Synergy Balls, Factory Rear LSD, 12K LB X2O Gen 2 Comp, SB SRC Front/Body Armor Rear bumpers, RR and RE armor, Adams Shafts, 4.88 Yukon Gears. My toy.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6, Mango Tango.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
post #16 of 45 Old 03-06-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Chuck showed me some pics and videos....Looks like the only thing the Ranger is good for now is an RTI ramp LOL...
post #17 of 45 Old 03-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
i can definitely understand your confusion around the subject of new , aftermarket Control Arms .
I am a Synergy guy but am looking forward to Fusion 4X4s upcoming CA release to check-out what they bring to the table. I know , as others have said, that Metal Cloak and RK are great arms.

I have friends that run the Clayton arms long and short and they are basically built for Armageddon.

So, as the past few years have seen the popularity of the grease-less bushing designed to replace either poor durability,squeaky Polyurethane joints or the higher maintenance Johnny Joints , it gets tough to separate the actual differences in arms . Take a look at these three companies' entry level JK adjustable CAs and tell me the difference. It seems the Ranchos look more closely bent for matching the odd JK JKU wheel clearances and have a larger diameter but they are all three basically the same exact arms , doesn't it seem?

Now, ReadyLift has its MaxFlex with JJs at both ends and then another with JJs at Frame then the grease-less Synergy bushing on the axle ends. Those are nice arms. So are these but they appear identical to the SL and the Rancho as far as forged ends with the bushing like Synergy Mfgs DDB.

is it just me or are those the same arms? I guess this may not be helping the OP with his questions DIRECTLY but does loosely relate to Adj CA /choices these days for a JK/ JKUs .
When are fusion4x4 CA's slated to be released?
post #18 of 45 Old 03-07-2017, 03:11 PM
Wheeler

Ordering from quadratec doesn't mean they are shipping from their warehouse. You may not get them quick if they drop ship from somewhere else.

I ordered from them a couple weeks ago and it took 10 days to receive
Garrett73 likes this.
post #19 of 45 Old 03-08-2017, 05:47 AM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by still in school View Post
When are fusion4x4 CA's slated to be released?
3 weeks ago they said "Days Away ..."on thier Instagram and there's another thread on here that @Fusion 4x4 mentioned something similar . So, not long?

lllllll '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ
post #20 of 45 Old 03-08-2017, 06:58 AM
JKowners Vendor

You will like the upper control arms, the in vehicle adjustment makes it nice an easy! Let us know if we can help you!

RK
post #21 of 45 Old 03-08-2017, 07:06 AM

Is it ok to just change the front lower control arms to adjust my caster for a 2.5 inch lift?
post #22 of 45 Old 03-08-2017, 07:14 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Woolard View Post
Is it ok to just change the front lower control arms to adjust my caster for a 2.5 inch lift?
Yes, that's what most people do when operating on a budget. There's no need for uppers with a 2.5 inch lift.
post #23 of 45 Old 03-08-2017, 07:22 AM

I hope that is all I need to regain normal steering again. Right now my jeep is darting all over the lane, kinda wandering. Its my daily driver, and lately I am not enjoying my jeep so much because of this. The guy I bought my jeep from, had just installed the 2.5" lift before I bought it, but never did anything to compensate for the lift, so the steering suffers. I want to take it down south on vacation, but I can barely stand to drive it to work!
post #24 of 45 Old 03-08-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Woolard View Post
I hope that is all I need to regain normal steering again. Right now my jeep is darting all over the lane, kinda wandering. Its my daily driver, and lately I am not enjoying my jeep so much because of this. The guy I bought my jeep from, had just installed the 2.5" lift before I bought it, but never did anything to compensate for the lift, so the steering suffers. I want to take it down south on vacation, but I can barely stand to drive it to work!
You should be good adjusting the lower arms, just follow the links and info on here for setting up your lowers with 2.5" of lift. I'm in the same boat as you, ours is primarily our DD. I'm at 4+ inches and running 37's so I opted for both upper and lower adjustable arms.

Good luck man..
post #25 of 45 Old 03-08-2017, 02:37 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

I can tell you that ours are different, that is for sure.
Our bushings are also built differently too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

Ranchos :

SuperLift:

ReadyLift:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode