JKOwners Forum banner

Super Duty Driveshafts on a JK. My DIY 1350/1410 shafts on the Cheap

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Bodie 
#1 ·
So I am doing a 1 ton swap on my JK and started looking for driveshafts. I am a really big cheap ass and would rather not spend $1400 on a set of shafts so this is what I came up with.

JE Reel 241 drive flanges x2 $198 (Poly Performance)

1350 Ford Super Duty front driveshafts x2 $150 (Local Junkyard)

1410 slip yoke for rear driveshaft Part#: 3-3-5411KX $65 (Summit)

I think I can get away with just having the front shaft short-end and the rear may need to be re-tubed and lengthened. I figured about $300 for all that, so I should have about $800 in everything once I install new joints and everything.

Not bad IMO for a 1350 front and 1350/1410 rear driveshafts. I will keep this updated once they are installed.

#2 ·
A few thoughts. First, we can get you new 1350's for a lot less than $1400. Second, the front flange needs to be an extended version as a 1350 joint won't clear the t-case. Third - can those shafts be shortened? That is very thin wall material. Lastly, they are like any OE shaft, touch a rock and they will fold. That is a lot to spend for inferior quality shafts. We support minimizing costs with Jeep builds, especially going to tons, but this is one option that doesn't really meet a logical investment criteria.

#3 ·
The cheapest 1350 I have seen was $650per shaft, and I figured in $100 for shipping. What do you guys charge for the same type of setup?

You are correct on the front output flange, looks like I will have to get an extended flange. They are about $100.

I have had several factory shafts shortened without issue, and I can also step up the wall thickness on both shafts to 1/4" for about $70.

I dont see how these are inferior quality, the only difference is the wall thickness and that is $70 away from being the same strength or better than these JK specific shafts.

#5 ·
Got the driveshafts finished up, here is the break down...

2x Front SD 1350 Driveshafts $150

All new U-joints $70

1410 Rear slip Yoke $70

Labor/service cost to retube with heavier tubing and lengthen the rear shaft about 3", shorten the front shaft about 3", press in new u-joints, and balance both shafts $145

JE Reel Tcase drive flanges $190

Total Cost: $625

Reactions: jkwebbie
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.