Fuel Tank Hose Confusion - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-16-2017, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 150
Feedback: 0 reviews
Fuel Tank Hose Confusion

Making plans for a custom tank and I'm a bit confused by the number of hose connections on the stock tank.

My understanding of the fuel system is as follows:


But, this only accounts for two hose connections on the tank (excluding filler line and pump output)

In fact, there are four connections (three on the left, and one on the right). Where do the extra two lines go? And is my diagram otherwise correct?

christensent is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 02-16-2017, 09:08 AM
Granite Guru
 
Dkjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 37
Posts: 493
Feedback: 0 reviews

The 3 on the left the big one goes to evap canister, the one at 10 o'clock goes to filler neck, and one at 6 o'clock goes to the one at the front end of the tank. Dunno what it does.
Dkjeep is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 02-16-2017, 11:47 AM
JKowners Vendor
 
Fusion 4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 436
Feedback: 0 reviews

You have a vent for the filler, one for the tank, a couple roll/vent valves. When you build a tank, you want a 5/8" vent, filler neck, and a couple rollover valves. Easiest is to just use YJ valves. Just make sure that either the evap or the lines tot he evap are above the tank, or fuel will run into the evap and stall the engine.

You only need two small vents. Use a T and make it into one line into the evap.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fusion 4x4 is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 02-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Rock God
 
funfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bloomsburg, PA
Posts: 848
Feedback: 0 reviews

Is there no return line from the injectors on JKs?
funfred is online now  
post #5 of 13 Old 02-16-2017, 02:23 PM
Granite Guru
 
Dkjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 37
Posts: 493
Feedback: 0 reviews

Nope

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Dkjeep is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 02-16-2017, 03:18 PM
JKowners Vendor
 
MoTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,077
Feedback: 0 reviews

The stock fuel tank fittings are complicated to understand. The JK uses a single line fuel feed with the regulator and filter built into the tank.

The tank is vented to the EVAP canister through the large fitting.

The EVAP canister is vented and purged by a purge valve and EVAP system integrity monitor(ESIM).

The line from the EVAP canister to the intake as you illustrate it is the purge line and will go through an ECM controlled purge valve.

The smaller vents on the tank are just that vents.

The one you must be careful with is the fuel filler neck vent, it is not just vented into the tank, it controls a fill valve that allows fuel to be pumped into the tank based on differential pressure. If that line/valve is not working properly you may have a hard time getting fuel to go in.

If running a stock tank it is important the lines be hooked up properly, if you are fabricating a tank it doesn't really matter.

MoTech
LS Specialists
3045 N Lamb Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89115
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MoTech is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 02-16-2017, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 150
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion 4x4 View Post
You have a vent for the filler, one for the tank, a couple roll/vent valves. When you build a tank, you want a 5/8" vent, filler neck, and a couple rollover valves. Easiest is to just use YJ valves. Just make sure that either the evap or the lines tot he evap are above the tank, or fuel will run into the evap and stall the engine.

You only need two small vents. Use a T and make it into one line into the evap.
I have a confusion on the evap line not being flooded with fuel when off-camber with a full tank even if the line is run from the top of the tank. Consider this example of the stock setup. Isn't this a problem?

christensent is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 02-17-2017, 07:55 AM
JKowners Vendor
 
Fusion 4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 436
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
I have a confusion on the evap line not being flooded with fuel when off-camber with a full tank even if the line is run from the top of the tank. Consider this example of the stock setup. Isn't this a problem?

Yep. I had to reroute lines up into the back corner. Sort of like routing a vent line, it is up above the brake light. Prior to that, I tried not to fill the tank past half full or wheeling was not fun. Rerouting the lines was a PITA too.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fusion 4x4 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 02-17-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 150
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion 4x4 View Post
Yep. I had to reroute lines up into the back corner. Sort of like routing a vent line, it is up above the brake light. Prior to that, I tried not to fill the tank past half full or wheeling was not fun. Rerouting the lines was a PITA too.
Would using rollover valves at the vent lines on the tank to the evap solve the issue I drew without needing to worry about any special high hose routing?
christensent is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 02-17-2017, 01:30 PM
JKowners Vendor
 
Fusion 4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 436
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
Would using rollover valves at the vent lines on the tank to the evap solve the issue I drew without needing to worry about any special high hose routing?
That is what I have. I didn't cut corners. It is a 2013 and everything is routed and working like factory.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fusion 4x4 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 02-17-2017, 01:56 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Iberia, La.
Posts: 1,689
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTech View Post
The stock fuel tank fittings are complicated to understand. The JK uses a single line fuel feed with the regulator and filter built into the tank.

The tank is vented to the EVAP canister through the large fitting.

The EVAP canister is vented and purged by a purge valve and EVAP system integrity monitor(ESIM).

The line from the EVAP canister to the intake as you illustrate it is the purge line and will go through an ECM controlled purge valve.

The smaller vents on the tank are just that vents.

The one you must be careful with is the fuel filler neck vent, it is not just vented into the tank, it controls a fill valve that allows fuel to be pumped into the tank based on differential pressure. If that line/valve is not working properly you may have a hard time getting fuel to go in.

If running a stock tank it is important the lines be hooked up properly, if you are fabricating a tank it doesn't really matter.
There's something here I'm not understanding.

It's this part. "The smaller vents on the tank are just that vents."

Why go to all the trouble of installing all the EVAP stuff if you still have just plane ol vents on the tank? Are they check valved to only let atmosphere in? As a way to keep the tank from creating negative pressure inside?

Kevin
gt1guy is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 02-18-2017, 04:13 PM
JKowners Vendor
 
MoTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,077
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
There's something here I'm not understanding.

It's this part. "The smaller vents on the tank are just that vents."

Why go to all the trouble of installing all the EVAP stuff if you still have just plane ol vents on the tank? Are they check valved to only let atmosphere in? As a way to keep the tank from creating negative pressure inside?
No Kevin they do not go to the atmosphere. The top of the JK fuel tank has high and low points so multiple vents are run to efficiently vent the tank. If you had a dual hump fuel tank like the Genright or a BMW tank and you vented only one hump there would be a problem.

The JK runs one EVAP vent up front and a second in the rear tower, both these vents pass through the ring in the rollover/fill valve and into the EVAP canister where the vapors are purged out by the purge valve or vented into the atmosphere under certain conditions. The early JK did not run a fuel tank pressure sensor so the PCM does not know FTP and depends on the spring loaded ESIM to vent if purge is not enough. The ESIM does contain a switch for EVAP monitoring to detect small and large leaks.

The fuel filler vent line is a different animal it controls a fill valve that allows fuel to be pumped in based on differential pressure.

MoTech
LS Specialists
3045 N Lamb Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89115
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MoTech is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 02-18-2017, 08:05 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Iberia, La.
Posts: 1,689
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTech View Post
No Kevin they do not go to the atmosphere. The top of the JK fuel tank has high and low points so multiple vents are run to efficiently vent the tank. If you had a dual hump fuel tank like the Genright or a BMW tank and you vented only one hump there would be a problem.

The JK runs one EVAP vent up front and a second in the rear tower, both these vents pass through the ring in the rollover/fill valve and into the EVAP canister where the vapors are purged out by the purge valve or vented into the atmosphere under certain conditions. The early JK did not run a fuel tank pressure sensor so the PCM does not know FTP and depends on the spring loaded ESIM to vent if purge is not enough. The ESIM does contain a switch for EVAP monitoring to detect small and large leaks.

The fuel filler vent line is a different animal it controls a fill valve that allows fuel to be pumped in based on differential pressure.
Ahhhh, ok, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Kevin
gt1guy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome