Re-purpose the stock trans cooler? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ronjenx
  • 1 Post By Dkjeep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-15-2017, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Re-purpose the stock trans cooler?

I want to utilize the stock trans cooler that is on the bottom of the stock A/C condenser to cool power steering fluid instead of trans fluid. I have a separate cooler for trans fluid. I also have adapters that convert the lines coming out of the stock trans cooler to -6an. I want to come off of the return side of the power steering and run it into the cooler and then back out to the reservoir.

What is the pressure on the return side look like on a power steering setup? Any one see any issue with doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 AM
Granite Guru

The pressure is low, only what it takes to push the fluid through the lines (can't be any higher, it goes to a reservoir at atmospheric pressure).

Probably at most, a few 10's of PSI.

I don't see any reason you couldn't do this. Although, the transmission cooler is way overkill for a power steering setup. I have a little cooler about 3" x 12" for power steering with hydro assist that I bolted in front of all the other radiators, and it's never even beyond warm to the touch.

Whatever you do, just make sure you don't end up making your transmission cooling worse than stock. That'd be a really bad outcome.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-15-2017, 08:50 AM
TOTL Innovations

I was under the assumption that power steering temps are usually lower than 180 so reusing the factory trans cooler would in essence heat up the power steering fluid no?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old 02-15-2017, 09:11 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
I was under the assumption that power steering temps are usually lower than 180 so reusing the factory trans cooler would in essence heat up the power steering fluid no?
The transmission cooler is external of the engine coolant radiator. The water temperature would have no effect on the transmission fluid temperature, if that's what you are thinking.
Dkjeep likes this.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #5 of 12 Old 02-15-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
The pressure is low, only what it takes to push the fluid through the lines (can't be any higher, it goes to a reservoir at atmospheric pressure).

Probably at most, a few 10's of PSI.

I don't see any reason you couldn't do this. Although, the transmission cooler is way overkill for a power steering setup. I have a little cooler about 3" x 12" for power steering with hydro assist that I bolted in front of all the other radiators, and it's never even beyond warm to the touch.

Whatever you do, just make sure you don't end up making your transmission cooling worse than stock. That'd be a really bad outcome.
I've got one hell of a cooler for my 6l80 going in. And yes it may be overkill but its already there, I cant remove it, and I already had the adapter fittings from another project.

The real idea is when I get hydro in the next couple of months I wonder if I can do the same thing with that setup?
post #6 of 12 Old 02-15-2017, 12:17 PM
Granite Guru

I have been running mine for a year like this with a couple barbed fittings.
no problem
post #7 of 12 Old 02-15-2017, 12:48 PM
Rock God

Use my factory trans cooler for power steering as well.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-15-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Guess its a done deal then. Glad to hear others have done this successfully already.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-15-2017, 03:02 PM
TOTL Innovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The transmission cooler is external of the engine coolant radiator. The water temperature would have no effect on the transmission fluid temperature, if that's what you are thinking.
I guess it has changed in subsequent years but on my 08, the trans cooler is inside the radiator hence my original comment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-15-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
I guess it has changed in subsequent years but on my 08, the trans cooler is inside the radiator hence my original comment.
Sorry but it's not and never has been.
tapcola likes this.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-16-2017, 02:16 PM
TOTL Innovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
Sorry but it's not and never has been.
I stand corrected. My apologies.

post #12 of 12 Old 02-16-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It's all gravy.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode