JKOwners Forum banner

A couple beadlock /wheel questions

11K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  thedirtman 
#1 ·
First, in lieu of spacer rings (I don't believe they're available for the two beadlock wheels I'm looking at) - any thoughts on using washers instead, if needed? I saw some of the guys on pirate do this too.

Second, how bad would it be to mount a 37" tire to an 8" wide beadlock? The tire specs want at least an 8.5" wide wheel.

#3 ·

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#5 ·
You may have a little more "crown" to the tire but should be fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

#6 ·
You are going to run 37's on an axle designed for 35's so why are you concerned about running a tire on a wheel smaller then the manufacturer recommends?:surprise:
Just being a smart ass. like said above more tire bulge which equals less clearance on the inside to frame and such.

#7 ·
Thanks. Was concerned with mounting difficulty too.

Any thoughts on the washers as spacers?

#9 ·
Behind the beadlock rings to prevent space and side load on the bolts - heard that the bead is pretty thick on the STT Pros. Similar concept to the spacer rings that method sells for their 105s.

Not sure if they'll be necessary but I'd like to have a plan in place before I order.

#11 ·
I was looking at the DV8 882 wheels or the new Quadratec SlickLock. Although now it looks like the latter is no longer available.

Anyway the only spacers rings available (even OMF) seem to be the wrong # of holes for either of those.

#14 ·
Actually I saw a recommendation to use those aluminum washer like spacers for this application, and company that sells them in all sizes.

But I have a few reservations about that too. I think I'll see if I can get ahold of a real spacer ring, or otherwise save some more and move on to potential wheel #4 in my search.

#15 ·
don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure you need beadlocks?
I bet if you run an 8" wheel on 37's you'll never blow a bead... and if you do. just put air in it.
8" wheels are fine and they hold the bead better.
do NOT use washers or anything else to space out the ring. good beadlocks will have a ring welded on and if it's not there, it's really hard to get the tire centered and balance properly.

#16 ·
It was more of a, I need new wheels anyway and airing down to 12 psi wasn't good enough, so while I'm at it I'm going to get some beadlocks.

#19 ·
Well I finally just said screw it and ponied up for the Method 105s and their spacer rings. A little more $ than I was planning on but I'm excited.

Reactions: Dkjeep
#23 ·
Hutchison are badass and you can't build a much heavier duty BL but they weigh SO FREAKING MUCH the non- SC'ed or LS'ed JKs (at least the non Pentastar ones)have trouble with them once any manner of 37 or larger tire is mounted .Just my opinion on Hutchison s
:jeep2:

#24 ·
Yeah the Hutchinsons look nice but yeah heavy. And pricey, not in a backspacing I want, etc... Getting my current tires dismounted today to get ready for the method 105s which check every box.

#25 ·
They don't weight that much more then a standard Beadlock only a couple pounds more. I was looking for a lighter bead lock wheel and could not find one that would make much of a difference over the rock monsters.

#26 ·
interesting, dirtman. Good feedback.
Aren't the method 105s the lightest option available?
This conversation on weight of beadlocks is why I am considering taking my tough , awesome cheap Level 8 Strike 5s ( 21lbs) and having OMF convert them.

Is the coyote internal BLs option any good?
I wouldn't mind the tireballs but you cannot get them for consumer plus cost and install is a royal PITA it seems.

#27 ·
My wheel weighs 136 pounds with a brand new 40x13.5 MTR/K on it and 10 oz of balancing beads.

I do know that I can run on a ruined tire and not f up the wheel until the tread belt gives way, done it twice.

#32 ·
When you consider rim weight, it's worth considering that the moment of inertia of a rotating cylindrical section is scaled with radius squared.

So it takes approximately 4 pounds of rim weight to cause the same engine strain on acceleration as 1 pound of tire weight (assuming the tire diameter is approximately twice the wheel diameter which is the common off-road scenario). So basically, rim weight isn't really that big of a deal as far as spinning mass goes.

#33 ·
Wow good point, I hadn't thought of this.

#35 ·
Shannon's finish was bad ass on 3 wheels. I was right there in the pits when came down the hill and lost the tire. It rolled into the pit two down from us. The entire side wall split on that tire all the way thru the bead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.