JKOwners Forum banner

Brake issue..

6K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  snout 
#1 ·
On my 07 I have a brake problem. The pedal won't return. I have replaced all the calipers, master cylinder and booster....Anyone have this problem? They have been bled multiple times with every method anyone has thought of...

#7 ·
The spring is inside the booster housing. There is a potential this spring broke or slid off to the side during install. It is tight quarters in there. Another possibility is the master cylinder did not line up with the brake pedal rod (I have done this before).

Otherwise it sounds like the booster if the pedal does not return.

#8 ·
I have never pulled a JK master cylinder, was not sure on the return spring set up but that sounds as an issue, the miss alignment of the push rod really sounds along the lines of the issue, seeing the European type construction of most things on these it is highly likely or it is not fully contacting the master, I know most of the BMWs have a preload set on the pushrod. Not sure if this is a completely similar set up or not.

#11 ·
Originally when the problem started I thought I had a caliper hanging up. I needed new brakes anyway so I put on all new calipers and pads. After that I still had the issue. I put a new master cylinder on thinking that was the culprit. Nothing changed....At that point it was kind of intermittent. Then when it got worse I put a booster in (after the dealer told me that was the issue). Then I thought it had to be the master cylinder since it seamed to get better for a short time after the first swap out (probably a delusion by me). I have all of the new and old parts. No matter whitch if anything I put on I still have the issue. They lock up completely and the jeep will not move. Pull up on the pedal with my tie and away I go....

#13 ·
Did you guys get this issues resolved? A friend has been having this exact issue with his as well. Booster/MC replaced and I believe there was a, or a few hard lines replaced. Started wit the pedal just not coming all the way up (brake lights on), now he says the brakes are sticking as well. A friend of his thought it could be the soft line, said those lines get weak and break down inside and become really soft.

I've not had this on any of the JK's I've owned, but trying to find a solution for him.

#17 ·
soft pedal ≠ need to bleed the ABS module.

You probably need to re-bleed your brake system, passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front until bubbles completely stop, which can be quite a while.

The easiest thing to do is use one of these, however, you can make your own from a bug sprayer for less.

If you really want to cycle the ABS module, just go drive like an asshole on some loose gravel. It's a lot cheaper than buying a bi-directional scan tool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.