JKU 1 Ton Swap 4 link rear, 3 link front - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 01-08-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

JKU 1 Ton Swap 4 link rear, 3 link front

So I have been gathering parts and working on my axles for the last 6 months. On Saturday I decided it was time to pull the trigger and start the conversion.

Specs:
Front Axle: 2008 Superduty Axle with Artec Truss, ARB, 5.38 gears, warn hubs, Fusion 4x4 tierod rod and Weaver passenger highsteer arm.
Rear Axle: 2008 Sterling 10.5 with artec truss, ARB, 5.38 gears, 60 tooth tone rings.

Suspension:
I decided to run a 4 link rear with upper triangulated and lower mostly parallel. I ordered an Artec kit for parts. I also installed a genright rear mounted tank to solve gas tank issues. What a pain that was although it was only 6hrs of pain so not bad.
Front suspension is gonna be the artec 3 link front kit.
I am running coils for now as I tune and dial my suspension once dialed in I will run 2.5 King coilovers. Haven't decided on length, waiting to see how much room I end up with.
Clean Up

Checking out front

Rear mocked in.

I am still running the numbers on my suspension but the rear should be on its own weight tomorrow. Then I'll start on the front.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
pvanweelden likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-08-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk[/quote]
So some more on the build. I looked at a dual triangulated setup for the rear but I wasn't getting enough separation on the upper frame links to make it worth the trouble. Also the artec kit for the front was similar to what I was thinking of putting together so I figured to keep it easy and roll with theirs.
The Jeep was bone stock when I started and will end up on the tons and 40" tires. I will also be ordering an atlas for it as well.

AdrockTT likes this.

Last edited by Mattb19; 01-08-2017 at 08:26 PM.
post #3 of 32 Old 01-08-2017, 08:30 PM
Granite Guru

Kickass. I am gearing up to 4 link my 14 bolt. I went with an RCI in the backseat.

Keep the updates coming!

Billet 2013 2 door
Dana 60 front, 14 Bolt rear, ARB's, 5.38's, 40" sticky Trepadors, 3 link front and rear, 14" Sway-a-Way coilovers, Tom Woods 1310 front, Adams 1350 rear, PSC Hydro assist

post #4 of 32 Old 01-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Awesome! This is exactly what I'm doing with my rig. Just started ordering up the parts for the 4 link and 3 link. For my rear 4 link i'm doing a double triangulated rear by adding a new cross member similar to what Genright does.

I also went with the genright rear tank and i completely agree. Pain in the ass. It's still not sitting properly either. The straps are as tight as they can go and there is still movement with the tank and how it sits in the skid plate.

Definitely looking forward to watching your build and looking at what i've gotten my self into.

2013 JKUR with some stuff.
post #5 of 32 Old 01-09-2017, 12:39 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb19 View Post
So some more on the build. I looked at a dual triangulated setup for the rear but I wasn't getting enough separation on the upper frame links to make it worth the trouble. Also the artec kit for the front was similar to what I was thinking of putting together so I figured to keep it easy and roll with theirs.
The Jeep was bone stock when I started and will end up on the tons and 40" tires. I will also be ordering an atlas for it as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

How much separation were you getting on the chassis side? The only downside to less separation is that there is more stress on the link mounts. All the popular premade link mounts are more than strong enough to handle it.
That holds true for the axle side too.

Kevin
post #6 of 32 Old 01-09-2017, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recharge View Post
Awesome! This is exactly what I'm doing with my rig. Just started ordering up the parts for the 4 link and 3 link. For my rear 4 link i'm doing a double triangulated rear by adding a new cross member similar to what Genright does.

I also went with the genright rear tank and i completely agree. Pain in the ass. It's still not sitting properly either. The straps are as tight as they can go and there is still movement with the tank and how it sits in the skid plate.

Definitely looking forward to watching your build and looking at what i've gotten my self into.
My tank is definitely tightly mounted. That is interesting that your tank is lose. Does it not have the foam that it should have as separation from the skid plate?

post #7 of 32 Old 01-09-2017, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post

How much separation were you getting on the chassis side? The only downside to less separation is that there is more stress on the link mounts. All the popular premade link mounts are more than strong enough to handle it.
That holds true for the axle side too.[/QUOTE]
I have a range of separation which is about 7 inches as at max. My link mounts are pretty burly. I have ran my numbers in the 4 link calculator and they are not too bad. The rear of the vehicle has some things that create interference but overall it looks like it will work. I have to cycle the suspension today to verify clearance.

post #8 of 32 Old 01-09-2017, 08:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Todays mounts are strong but unfortunately the frame is thin so make sure if you are doing tight mounts that you plate the frame so the mounts don't tear it.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 32 Old 01-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I have a range of separation which is about 7 inches as at max. My link mounts are pretty burly. I have ran my numbers in the 4 link calculator and they are not too bad. The rear of the vehicle has some things that create interference but overall it looks like it will work. I have to cycle the suspension today to verify clearance.

7 inches is great. You could actually have a tough time fitting the axle side high enough to get good anti-squat.

Like Dirtman said, doublers on the frame before the mounts to spread the loads.

Kevin
post #10 of 32 Old 01-09-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
That holds true for the axle side too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
The links are just shy of 6" of separation which works for my rig. It would be tough to get further without the bottom link going way below the frame. There are also a couple of cross members under the jeep that get in the way. I cut one out and modified the other.

I got the rear sitting on its own weight today. I still need to get the springs into the axle mount a little more. They are not sitting all the way. I need them to drop another inch.

post #11 of 32 Old 01-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

Damn. You ain't messing around.

Kevin
post #12 of 32 Old 01-09-2017, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Looking good, are you gonna put "ramps" on those control arm mounts? Looks like they will be catching a lot of rocks like that.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #13 of 32 Old 01-09-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguyhasadd42 View Post
Looking good, are you gonna put "ramps" on those control arm mounts? Looks like they will be catching a lot of rocks like that.
That will be part of the skidplate.

post #14 of 32 Old 01-09-2017, 08:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
That will be part of the skidplate.

Prefect!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #15 of 32 Old 01-10-2017, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguyhasadd42 View Post
Prefect!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got the front axle under the rig today. Still need to center the axle but mostly done up front. Might need a new frame side track bar bracket but will see tomorrow.

post #16 of 32 Old 01-10-2017, 06:24 PM
KJV
Granite Guru

Maybe it's just the pics, but those welds on the frame link mounts don't look like they have penetrated too well. Otherwise nice build, hope to see it complete.

2010 JKU. 2.5 RK Stock Mod, 37" Nitto Trail Grappler MT on Pro Comp 7005's. Poly Drag link, Fusion 4x4 Tie Rod, DIY Hydro Assist, Ultimate Dana 44 Front, Rubi 44 Rear. Ten Factory Chromoly Axles, EVO RockStar Skids 5.13's, Poison Spyder Brawler Lite Bumper with Warn HS9500i, EVO rear D-ring mounts, VKS Prerunner Sliders, Synergy Rear Cage
post #17 of 32 Old 01-10-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJV View Post
Maybe it's just the pics, but those welds on the frame link mounts don't look like they have penetrated too well. Otherwise nice build, hope to see it complete.
I think it's a shitty combo of paint and angle. They are a lot flatter in person. I went back and looked at the pic and agree with how it looks in the pic. Lol.

post #18 of 32 Old 01-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Got the front axle under the rig today. Still need to center the axle but mostly done up front. Might need a new frame side track bar bracket but will see tomorrow.

Had to move the frame side trackbar mount forward when I installed my SD60. The pumpkin was way too close and would have hit on uptravel. VKSFAB has a great offset mount that made it easy. Also had to use a Procomp trackbar as it is bent up, not bent out like the Synergy I had, to make it all fit. Plan to change to something else but haven't gotten around to it.
post #19 of 32 Old 01-10-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPrince View Post
Had to move the frame side trackbar mount forward when I installed my SD60. The pumpkin was way too close and would have hit on uptravel. VKSFAB has a great offset mount that made it easy. Also had to use a Procomp trackbar as it is bent up, not bent out like the Synergy I had, to make it all fit. Plan to change to something else but haven't gotten around to it.
Thanks for the info. Looks like VKSFAB doesn't have them anymore. I have seen a few that look like they will work.

post #20 of 32 Old 01-11-2017, 05:00 PM
'The New Derek'

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Looks like VKSFAB doesn't have them anymore.
Call them, most of their builder stuff isn't on the website. They sell tons of brackets and do one ton swaps in house.

2014 Billet Silver 2-Door Sport on 37's with a bunch of other expensive chit
Cutts Crew
post #21 of 32 Old 01-11-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thantos View Post
Call them, most of their builder stuff isn't on the website. They sell tons of brackets and do one ton swaps in house.
Thanks. Do you have a pic of your bracket setup?

post #22 of 32 Old 01-12-2017, 02:48 PM
'The New Derek'

Quote:

I'm still gathering parts for my build next month. But here is Vicks build thread, it's got a lot of the brackets they sell:

Operation 8lug - VKS Fab

The offset trackbar mount is in there somewhere but I'm on mobile so you'll have to look for it yourself. Probably around page 8+

2014 Billet Silver 2-Door Sport on 37's with a bunch of other expensive chit
Cutts Crew
post #23 of 32 Old 01-12-2017, 06:25 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

I'm on the road for work so best I can do for now but shows the vks offset trackbar bracket Vick got to us (just to note, tierod has been changed out and flipped up since these pics)

post #24 of 32 Old 01-13-2017, 12:07 PM
JKowners Vendor

We have one of the VKS offset mounts in stock if you need one. $50 plus shipping. Works really well. That is what we include with our Super Duty axles (as bigprince noted).

post #25 of 32 Old 02-17-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPrince View Post
I'm on the road for work so best I can do for now but shows the vks offset trackbar bracket Vick got to us (just to note, tierod has been changed out and flipped up since these pics)

Nice how do you like that double throw down I planned on doing that but still unsure. Do you daily drive it? Could you have flipped the drag link and put it on top or no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode