2013JKU/LS - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By MoTech
  • 1 Post By 89yjon
  • 1 Post By sumoslam62
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 01-07-2017, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
razzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Illinois
Age: 47
Posts: 130
Feedback: 1 reviews
2013JKU/LS

I'm planning to dive into a new project. Beyond all the reading here, and on other sites, I'm looking for some input.
The Plan - Current set up is 2013 JKU 3.6L and 6 spd manual trans. 55k miles, and all runs great, but heck, why leave well enough alone......

The intention - LS swap with hopefully a gen 4 motor. I considered going hemi, but I've done an LM7 into a YJ and liked the support for the GM motors.
Questions .... to go gen 4, is the 5.3 still a good option, or do I need to focus on a 6.0 or a 6.2?
.... from research I see I can use a 6L80E trans in - a 4x, or 2x format from a truck .. will a car (gto)6L80 work also?
.... also from endless nights reading, I see companies like JSS and Moteck. Are these, or are there other reliable sources for a kit to use?

There will be tons more questions, and when the time is right, input and pics on my end. Right now I'm getting my ducks in a row.
Thx for any and all info you folks are willing to share.

There is no such thing as "one too many" ... and there is no such thing as a "finished jeep" project
razzer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 01-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Rock God
 
coilrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lower mainland
Age: 50
Posts: 1,274
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Take the advice Robbie at MoTech offered me. 6.0 or 6.2, depending on your jk weight.
A 5.3 is pretty awesome, my jkur weighed close to 6000 pounds and the 6.0 or 6.2 would have been awesomer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
coilrod is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 01-07-2017, 01:20 PM
JKowners Vendor
 
MoTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,069
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzer View Post
I'm planning to dive into a new project. Beyond all the reading here, and on other sites, I'm looking for some input.
The Plan - Current set up is 2013 JKU 3.6L and 6 spd manual trans. 55k miles, and all runs great, but heck, why leave well enough alone......

The intention - LS swap with hopefully a gen 4 motor. I considered going hemi, but I've done an LM7 into a YJ and liked the support for the GM motors.
Questions .... to go gen 4, is the 5.3 still a good option, or do I need to focus on a 6.0 or a 6.2?
.... from research I see I can use a 6L80E trans in - a 4x, or 2x format from a truck .. will a car (gto)6L80 work also?
.... also from endless nights reading, I see companies like JSS and Moteck. Are these, or are there other reliable sources for a kit to use?

There will be tons more questions, and when the time is right, input and pics on my end. Right now I'm getting my ducks in a row.
Thx for any and all info you folks are willing to share.
Gen IV 5.3 is a great engine in a light JK. If your JK is heavy or you have over 37" tires the 6.0 is a better choice, both run on regular. You can run a 2WD, AWD or 4WD 6l80 but make sure it is matched to your engine. Best bet is get a 2010+ engine and 6l80 since they have good compatibility.

For a Gen IV engine I recommend a 2010+ LC9 or LMG(iron) 5.3. If going with a 6.0 look for a L96 or LC8. I have a 2013 6.0 here were about to ship it is a great combination.


MoTech
LS Specialists
3045 N Lamb Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89115
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MoTech is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 01-07-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
razzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Illinois
Age: 47
Posts: 130
Feedback: 1 reviews

Motech, so ur saying the 08 2wd trans i found is a bad choice w/o a matching motor? For my restricted budget and the good deal i can get on the trans is there a good, better, best motor choice to utilize this trans? Can you PM me a quote on what kit covers my needs and whats included, still needed after the kit?
razzer is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 01-07-2017, 02:46 PM
JKowners Vendor
 
MoTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,069
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzer View Post
Motech, so ur saying the 08 2wd trans i found is a bad choice w/o a matching motor? For my restricted budget and the good deal i can get on the trans is there a good, better, best motor choice to utilize this trans? Can you PM me a quote on what kit covers my needs and whats included, still needed after the kit?
You have to be careful with 2007-8 transmissions, they were the early days of the Gen IV engines. They work fine with 2007-8 engines but pretty much only the L92 in the high end Denali's and Yukon's had them. You could not get a 6l80 with a 5.3 in 2007-8, they used the 4l65 until 2009. GM made a lot of changes in 2009, they went to a Bosch style MAP sensor changed the intake manifold, changed the oil pressure sensor, injectors and a few more things. The big change came in 2010 when GM standardized the ECM/TCM and OS's. Form 2010 to 15' your pretty much safe mixing engines and transmissions, prior to 2010 things were more complicated. Also in 2010 GM added AFM to most engines and VVT to the 5.3's. 2009 was a year pretty much on it's own with the 455 ECM. The L9H was a good 6.2, essentially a L92 with FF. Most 5.3's from 2007-9 had AFM but no VVT. Some early LC9's had VVT but not many. We have used a 2008 6l80 with a 2009 5.3, or a 2010 6l80 with a 2009 TCM, etc. but you do have to be careful to make it work right.

You can take a 2008 LY6 or LC9 change the MAP sensor, oil pressure sensor and run it on a 2009 OS we have done it. But if you don't have an engine yet it's best to just get a matched pair. For 2007-8 the L92/6l80 worked great. GM did improve the 6l80 over the years and we find the 2010+ transmissions shift better than the early ones.

Bottom line is if you stick with 2010+ your safe, get the latest technology and good interchangeability. I know there are work arounds and custom tunes but after a couple hundred swaps I like to stick with a combination that is meant to be together rather than not, makes things easier.
azjeepN likes this.

MoTech
LS Specialists
3045 N Lamb Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89115
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MoTech is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 01-07-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
razzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Illinois
Age: 47
Posts: 130
Feedback: 1 reviews

So i need a 2008 6.2 L92 or wait and find a matched pair doner from 2010 or later. If i do find a 10 or later, matching isn't as critical but is preferred. And i assume the 6.2 is preferred over the 5.3 or 6.0. When i do find the correct match, is there much cost difference in the kit i will need? And what is that cost? Thats the quote i was asking for. Thx.
razzer is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 01-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Granite Guru
 
4wheels4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newton, Ks.
Age: 52
Posts: 396
Feedback: 1 reviews

When I talked to Jon (RPMEXTREME) he suggested the 6.0 and I am glad I went with that as I wanted to run regular unleaded also. I was told 2010 and newer Gen IV and to make sure that the motor and transmission is of the same year for communication purposes, I got a 2013 6.0 out of a Chevy 2500 and a 6L80E out of a 2013 2 wheel Tahoe. So they do not "have " to be out of the same vehicle just the same year. You do not need to do any modifications to a 4x4 transmission but on the 2 wheel transmissions you will need to cut the output shaft down, not a big deal and he tells you how much. Just something to remember. If I remember right you also have to have a E38 computer for the motor, unless that has changed so make sure and find that out before getting any computers, Jon will let you know.

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 5.13, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 325/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Eagle Offroad Alloys 18"x10"
4wheels4life is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 01-08-2017, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
razzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Illinois
Age: 47
Posts: 130
Feedback: 1 reviews

What about a 2014 L83 5.3l ? I see the options stop at 2013

There is no such thing as "one too many" ... and there is no such thing as a "finished jeep" project
razzer is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 01-09-2017, 08:56 AM
TOTL Innovations
 
ALASHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 7,434
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTech View Post
You have to be careful with 2007-8 transmissions, they were the early days of the Gen IV engines. They work fine with 2007-8 engines but pretty much only the L92 in the high end Denali's and Yukon's had them. You could not get a 6l80 with a 5.3 in 2007-8, they used the 4l65 until 2009. GM made a lot of changes in 2009, they went to a Bosch style MAP sensor changed the intake manifold, changed the oil pressure sensor, injectors and a few more things. The big change came in 2010 when GM standardized the ECM/TCM and OS's. Form 2010 to 15' your pretty much safe mixing engines and transmissions, prior to 2010 things were more complicated. Also in 2010 GM added AFM to most engines and VVT to the 5.3's. 2009 was a year pretty much on it's own with the 455 ECM. The L9H was a good 6.2, essentially a L92 with FF. Most 5.3's from 2007-9 had AFM but no VVT. Some early LC9's had VVT but not many. We have used a 2008 6l80 with a 2009 5.3, or a 2010 6l80 with a 2009 TCM, etc. but you do have to be careful to make it work right.

You can take a 2008 LY6 or LC9 change the MAP sensor, oil pressure sensor and run it on a 2009 OS we have done it. But if you don't have an engine yet it's best to just get a matched pair. For 2007-8 the L92/6l80 worked great. GM did improve the 6l80 over the years and we find the 2010+ transmissions shift better than the early ones.

Bottom line is if you stick with 2010+ your safe, get the latest technology and good interchangeability. I know there are work arounds and custom tunes but after a couple hundred swaps I like to stick with a combination that is meant to be together rather than not, makes things easier.
So just to confirm, no issues with an 09 L9H and matching trans correct?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ALASHA is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 01-09-2017, 10:14 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Youngstown,Ohio
Age: 38
Posts: 397
Feedback: 0 reviews

I also went with a 6.0 LC8 and 6l80 trans. Used the kit from motech and have about 400 miles on the swap now. I absolutely love driving my jeep again!
tapcola likes this.

08 JKU 6.0LS 6L80 Atlas 2 37" open country mt's prorock 44,rcv's arb front. rock jock 60 rear 40spline shafts,arb 5.13's and a bunch of other stuff
89yjon is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 01-09-2017, 11:18 AM
JKowners Vendor
 
MoTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,069
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
So just to confirm, no issues with an 09 L9H and matching trans correct?
L9H is a great engine but not well understood. I have had an L9H in my personal Rubicon for 7 years now. 2009 was a transitional year for the LS, basically between the early OS's and later OS's, the L9H was right in the middle of this. 2009 TCM's and ECM's can sometime be used to interface an early and late OS like if a guy got a 2008 5.3 and a 2010 transmission, we don't like to do it but we can make it work.

The L9H is essentially an L92 form 2007-8 but flex fuel is added. So in 2009 GM changed the MAP sensor out to the Bosch style, changed the injectors out to FF injectors which runs a different fuel rail and intake manifold, and GM went to the larger more reliable oil pressure sensor in 2009.

So basically the L9H is the same hardware as the 2010-14 L94 without AFM; an L94 is an L9H with AFM. The important thing here is the 2009 ECM and TCM are specific to that year so if you have a 2009 L9H you want to run a 2009 (455) ECM and 2009 TCM and it will work perfect.

Now to add more confusion. GM continued to offer the L9H in limited applications beyond 2010. Most 6.2 truck/SUV engines went to the L94 with AFM but L9H's stayed in production. So you can run an L9H with a later OS and transmission. Since the hardware of the L9H was upgraded in 2009 to the later hardware it opens up the later OS to you unlike the earlier engines. Many(including me) feel the later ECM (238) runs better than the earlier 455. In addition improvements were made to the 6l80 after 2009 so they seem to shift better with less flare.

What this comes down to is the L9H is a versatile engine, you can run it with it's native 2009 OS and 6l80 or upgrade to the later OS and transmission. Before you do that it's best you talk too me because you want to be sure what you have. I regularly get guys buy an engine and transmission, even from the dealer and they are not compatible.

MoTech
LS Specialists
3045 N Lamb Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89115
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MoTech is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 01-09-2017, 11:42 AM
JKowners Vendor
 
MoTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,069
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzer View Post
What about a 2014 L83 5.3l ? I see the options stop at 2013
Yes we have several options for the Gen V 5.3 and 6.2. We are doing Gen V builds in house and have three beta kits out there. The Gen V swap is actually pretty easy and I think the 5.3 L83 will prove a good engine with the 6l80.

MoTech
LS Specialists
3045 N Lamb Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89115
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MoTech is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 01-09-2017, 02:47 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 15
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTech View Post
Yes we have several options for the Gen V 5.3 and 6.2. We are doing Gen V builds in house and have three beta kits out there. The Gen V swap is actually pretty easy and I think the 5.3 L83 will prove a good engine with the 6l80.
Does easier mean cheaper too? If only because I think lowering the cost would mean more business.
chris.george is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 01-09-2017, 05:43 PM
JKowners Vendor
 
MoTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,069
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.george View Post
Does easier mean cheaper too? If only because I think lowering the cost would mean more business.
With Gen IV engines kit price is pretty much the same regardless of engine, our in house install prices are a bargain regardless of generation.

With Gen IV kits we already include a lot of additional items like a custom powder coated aluminum air intake tube, MAF sensor, EVAP canister relocation kit, stainless steel coolant bottle(aluminum oxidizes) with mount, fan spacer kit, new pre-programmed GM ECM, new pre-programmed GM BCM, vent solenoid, JK programming, fuel tank pressure sensor, 3/8" fuel line and a lot more. When you add it up it certainly is a lot of value for dollar.

With the Gen V installs we are using mostly OE wiring, modules and calibrations, we do not compromise power or ground distribution circuits, circuit protection or safety redundancies. If you source a donor Gen V engine with the required it will save you some dollars. We have not settled on Gen V pricing yet but we will soon.

At this time the Gen V 5.3 installs will not cost much more than Gen IV based purely on the cost of parts. The 6.2 liter engine is always in demand so the price changes accordingly. The Gen V 6.2's were way overpriced at first but are coming down, the 8 speeds are still overpriced IMO but the price is coming down.

At the end of the day if you look at the drivability and longevity of the LS engine it is a bargain IMO. Keeping the network and wiring OE means reliability, emissions compliance, functionality, serviceability.....

With our CAN now online we have some economies by not having to mod some parts but it's not much.

We have 6.2 Gen V's on the road now and they run awesome as we thought. We will have a Gen V 5.3 on the road shortly and I am excited to see the results. With good mid range torque from CVVT and high compression it may replace the gen IV 6.0. We found mpg with the Gen V 6.2 is really only better under a light loads vs the gen IV engines. You can get 1-3 mpg better with a Gen V 6.2 but you need to drive it like a Nanny and most of my customers don't. I'm hoping the Gen V 5.3 returns good mpg and performance. My wife's 2008 JKU with a LH6 5.3 engine gets 20+ mpg on the highway with 32" tires and plastic fenders, no winch. But in a heavy JK a 6.0 will get better mpg. Hopefully the Gen V 5.3 will bridge the gap and offer an economical power train with good performance on regular gas in a heavy JK.

MoTech
LS Specialists
3045 N Lamb Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89115
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MoTech is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
razzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Illinois
Age: 47
Posts: 130
Feedback: 1 reviews

While looking for the doner motor, is there a mileage that you suggest staying below? There are lits of 100k+ motors out there but am i asking for trouble going over 50-75k
razzer is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 10:24 AM
JKowners Vendor
 
MoTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,069
Feedback: 0 reviews

There are lots of low mileage engines on car-parts.com. The LS is good for 200,000+ miles but I'd try and stay below 50k miles.

MoTech
LS Specialists
3045 N Lamb Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89115
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MoTech is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
razzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Illinois
Age: 47
Posts: 130
Feedback: 1 reviews

Motor and trans are in route. Just waiting on quotes for the swap kit, and gathering up all the parts.

There is no such thing as "one too many" ... and there is no such thing as a "finished jeep" project
razzer is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 01-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 23
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzer View Post
Motor and trans are in route. Just waiting on quotes for the swap kit, and gathering up all the parts.
I hope to order my kit next week! Gathering my parts as well. I won't start until I get as much of the "stuff" as I need to complete this Frankenstein!!

SuMo

"The Pearl" 2007 Black JKU, 4" Terraflex, 37" Nitto Muds, MagnaFlo, WildBoar Top, a.k.a. Money Pit
sumoslam62 is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 01-19-2017, 11:09 AM
Granite Guru
 
Dkjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Age: 36
Posts: 436
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzer View Post
Motor and trans are in route. Just waiting on quotes for the swap kit, and gathering up all the parts.
What did you go with? How long have you been looking into this total?
Dkjeep is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 01-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 23
Feedback: 0 reviews

I got an 2011 L96 iron block 6.0 and a 2012 6l80. Hopefully they will communicate as indicated in several threads Both have under 30k miles.

I am at 79k miles and I am ready to upgrade. Mostly sick of the clutch going out (3 stock replacements by 55k). The Spec clutch has been great but now another throw out bearing is going.

Phase 1 is getting the engine and trans in and running, phase 2 will be axles. The rig is heavy and I will probably stay with 37's. I really wanted to go LS3 originally or even better the new L86. But after reading and debating on things as well as well as trying to stay on a budget, I started looking for a decent priced low mileage 6.0. I think for me it is the best option. I want this thing to last my whole life (or what I have left of it) and keep on going strong. I will wheel it and I will break stuff but figure this iron block will keep me going for quite a few years. I want to drive this rig all over the country and maybe beyond.

I literally have been planning on this for 4 years. Stuff happened and delayed my plan a while but it's TIME! I started watching Robbie's threads years ago and kept up with the updates they have been doing . Now that the gen 3 harness is out and I am finally in a position to do this swap it's going to happen this year. I've read every thread I could find and debated on a few things here and there. Recent changes in some of the swap kits and options makes me have to think about a few options. I plan on calling MoTech in the next week to discuss a few things on the phone. I have a spreadsheet going with all my costs so I will have an accurate total when done and will probably start a thread when the swap starts. I know it will take me a month or more to get it all done, but HOPE to have it done by May.
Wannarun likes this.

"The Pearl" 2007 Black JKU, 4" Terraflex, 37" Nitto Muds, MagnaFlo, WildBoar Top, a.k.a. Money Pit
sumoslam62 is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 01-20-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
razzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Illinois
Age: 47
Posts: 130
Feedback: 1 reviews

Well happy horse hockey!!!! My motor just got here ......

There is no such thing as "one too many" ... and there is no such thing as a "finished jeep" project
razzer is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 01-21-2017, 10:40 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Youngstown,Ohio
Age: 38
Posts: 397
Feedback: 0 reviews

Nice! You will love it when it's done! Mind if I ask what you payed for the engine and trans?
I ended up going with a new lc8 (l96) cause I couldn't find a good low mileage 6.0

08 JKU 6.0LS 6L80 Atlas 2 37" open country mt's prorock 44,rcv's arb front. rock jock 60 rear 40spline shafts,arb 5.13's and a bunch of other stuff
89yjon is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM
JKowners Vendor
 
MoTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,069
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumoslam62 View Post
I got an 2011 L96 iron block 6.0 and a 2012 6l80. Hopefully they will communicate as indicated in several threads Both have under 30k miles.

I am at 79k miles and I am ready to upgrade. Mostly sick of the clutch going out (3 stock replacements by 55k). The Spec clutch has been great but now another throw out bearing is going.

Phase 1 is getting the engine and trans in and running, phase 2 will be axles. The rig is heavy and I will probably stay with 37's. I really wanted to go LS3 originally or even better the new L86. But after reading and debating on things as well as well as trying to stay on a budget, I started looking for a decent priced low mileage 6.0. I think for me it is the best option. I want this thing to last my whole life (or what I have left of it) and keep on going strong. I will wheel it and I will break stuff but figure this iron block will keep me going for quite a few years. I want to drive this rig all over the country and maybe beyond.

I literally have been planning on this for 4 years. Stuff happened and delayed my plan a while but it's TIME! I started watching Robbie's threads years ago and kept up with the updates they have been doing . Now that the gen 3 harness is out and I am finally in a position to do this swap it's going to happen this year. I've read every thread I could find and debated on a few things here and there. Recent changes in some of the swap kits and options makes me have to think about a few options. I plan on calling MoTech in the next week to discuss a few things on the phone. I have a spreadsheet going with all my costs so I will have an accurate total when done and will probably start a thread when the swap starts. I know it will take me a month or more to get it all done, but HOPE to have it done by May.
The 6.0 is an awesome engine you will not be disappointed; however........... The 6.0 LY6 and L96(and LC8) are HD truck engines. This means the tune is very conservative, I have seen rev limiters set to 5,100 rpm, spark is delayed and pulled out, PE(performance enrichment) is delayed for 4-8 seconds. This means some stock 6.0 tunes are sluggish but once oped up they perform excellent. Mitch does not really change the core tune he turns up the rev limiter in the ECM and TCM, lowers the delays on spark and PE and the 6.0 comes alive. Remember most of these 6.0 engines are in HD trucks that can weigh over 8,000 pounds so with the truck loaded with garbage or glass or whatever the driver is floored much of the time. So GM tuned the 6.0 similar like an airplane - very conservative to run under a load over long periods of the time. The 6.0 turns large tires well, runs on regular gas, uses conventional oil and has a ton of torque on the bottom making it an ideal conversion engine.

The 6.0 engine with VVT can have more torque off the line than a 6.2 and pull 37's with 4:10 gears for highway travel. The 6.0 is a versatile engine and having an iron block means it will run for a very long time in any environment burning even the cheapest gas. The 6.0 does not have the top end of the 6.2's but some guys ditch the VVT cam them and install a car intake, IMO it ruins the 6.0 engine. If you want that muscle car 7,000 rpm get an LS3 the 6.0 is great the way it is. I have removed 450 HP 6.0's from JK's and installed 450 HP LS3's the difference being drivability, a cammed 6.0 does not compare to a stock LS3 for drivability.

Check out his video on a budget build using a 5.3 LMG iron engine. The LMG and 6.0 L96 are very similar with the 6.0 having more displacement. Later today I will upload a video of an LC9(basically all aluminum LMG) in a completely different JK. This JK is on 40's, one tons and very heavy but the 5.3 did a good job hauling it up the mountains, not as good as a 6.0 but worlds better than the 3.6 or 3.8 plus I got decent mpg.

https://youtu.be/OLxhjcqfa8M

MoTech
LS Specialists
3045 N Lamb Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89115
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MoTech is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
razzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Illinois
Age: 47
Posts: 130
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89yjon View Post
Nice! You will love it when it's done! Mind if I ask what you payed for the engine and trans?
I ended up going with a new lc8 (l96) cause I couldn't find a good low mileage 6.0

I got a 2016 L83 (5.3) with the 6L80 2wd, all under 5k miles for 4 grand.

There is no such thing as "one too many" ... and there is no such thing as a "finished jeep" project
razzer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome