• 1 Post By MoTech
  • 1 Post By MoTech
  • 1 Post By MoTech
  • 1 Post By MoTech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 01-02-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

MoTech CAN technology

It's been a while now guys we have had a CAN interface. What most of you think is a CAN interface may or may not be. The reality is some signals are CAN to CAN, others are discrete in CAN out; or CAN in discrete out.

So a can signal can be received, processed then sent out via CAN. Less complicated is where a CAN signal is received then a discrete output is made. Or a discrete signal is received and a CAN command sent out. It's confusing even for me. Bottom line is what many of you perceive to be a CAN interface is more akin to our Gen II MoTech module with CAN enhancements.

So we can receive a cruise control signal over a wire then put it out over CAN. This is not CAN to CAN, this is discrete to CAN. We can receive a AC request over CAN then send a discrete signal out, again not CAN to CAN rather CAN to discrete. This is very similar to what we did 5 years ago.

The JK in this video has most of the dash functions running through our CAN module.

MoTech
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-02-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

We have to be careful to maintain built in redundancies, monitoring and emissions. It's easy to simplify things for convenience and eliminate circuits. For instance power and ground distribution is critical. To maintain limp modes, emission failures and reduced power staying true to the engineers design is important. An average GM LS engine performance(engine and transmission) harness has about 12 circuit protection devices(fuses). We run 14 fuses in our harness.

Ground distribution is even more critical. Many redundant systems like TAC(throttle actuator control), BPPS(brake pedal position sensors), TPS(throttle position sensors), APP(accelerator position sensors) rely on a solid low reference signal. Low reference is ground supplied by the ECM. In about 2009 GM beefed up the Gen IV engine grounds since they were having increased reduced power events due to weak grounds. We run a minimum of 5 separate ground circuits in our harness with appropriate gauge wires.

I'm giving some background for what hopefully will be questions why and how these circuits work. For example emissions today is becoming more important. When OBD II was introduced it required manufacturers to monitor cylinder misfires, then react to a misfiring cylinder by shutting off fuel to that cylinder; hence, SFI. Part of emission compliance is failure modes, it use to be before OBD II engine failures would lead to a rich condition. When gross polluting or possibly damaging your converters the CEL would flash. Manufactures set up power and ground distribution to handle these events. For example if an injector or coil were to fail on one bank of the engine the ECM could shut down that cylinder. If a fuse blew on that bank proper power distribution would allow you to drive home on the remaining cylinders without gross polluting.

I think this will become clear as this subject is discussed. Integrating CAN can be useful if done properly while maintaining an OE level of safety and compliance.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #3 of 25 Old 01-02-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

The picture below is a Gen IV MoTech module. This interface module is very powerful not only having a CAN interface but much more. As you can see this module will be user up gradable via USB.

This Gen IV module has built in AC, cruise control, PRNDL, power modes, several different rpm generators, coolant temperature, oil pressure, MAP...................and a lot more functionality beyond CAN allowing it to be used in almost any swap application from a 1970 Bronco to a 2016 JK.

Here are stand alone CAN modules we are testing, they are smt and potted. We hope to offer these as an upgrade if you have an older kit but TBH I do not feel this is much of an upgrade, the old system works well with minimal functionality loss.

We are still testing but current builds in house are getting CAN. With this CAN interface soon you will no longer have to send us your cluster or shifter if purchasing a kit.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #4 of 25 Old 04-14-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

It's been a while so it's time for an update. We have virtually everything interfaced through our MoCAN module. This includes AC request, EVAP temperature, fuel system, gauges, 4WD, PRNDL, MIL, OP, ECT........ and a lot more.

Making this stuff work was not too hard but making it work reliably with robustness and backups is a different story.

We have left the GM and Jeep networks alone as is our standard; the MoCAN module will act as a non critical bridge.

With the help of some OE level CAN software engineers we are using the proper handshakes and protocol's to keep this as reliable and OE as possible.

Our goal is to simplify this swap to be as efficient as possible while maintaining all OE functionality, monitoring and saftey. We are still running OE GM harness with no shortcut's, all the ground and power distribution in place. Functions like tapshift while in cruise will remain functional. Failure modes, synced brake pedal signals, both discrete and analog are maintained.

The interior install has been reduced dramatically and I'm convinced the install time of our kit will be less than about any V8 swap out there saving you shops $.

Were actually in the third stage of CAN development now and what you can look forward to is functional traction control(for our friends down under and other additional functionality. Things like idle speed control using the CC switch, tow and performance modes at the push of a button. It's an exciting time but we need to move slowly to get it done right.

I still like the old fashioned way of doing things but we need to step things up to meet demand. The end result will be an easier, cleaner install with similar reliability.

ALASHA likes this.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #5 of 25 Old 04-14-2017, 06:30 PM
Rock God

Garage

That's pretty cool. Be sure to let us know. I will need to have my (2010) esp/bas dash light tuned out for true legal status here in BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #6 of 25 Old 04-19-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #7 of 25 Old 04-19-2017, 08:42 PM
JKowners Vendor

You're welcome.

So after all the time you spent bashing the way We were doing our EZcanbus conversions you went out and duplicated the can network technology that we pioneered.

I guess now we can agree that CAN interfacing is the best way to do a newer engine conversion in a JK.
Wannarun and Rubi-8 like this.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #8 of 25 Old 04-20-2017, 06:45 AM
TOTL Innovations

why were the cruise and ESP indicators on the whole time?

post #9 of 25 Old 04-20-2017, 07:18 AM
TOTL Innovations

Also before this thread gets ugly, what did you order at pollo loco? The suspense is killing me...
Rubi-8 likes this.

post #10 of 25 Old 04-20-2017, 07:49 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME View Post
Your welcome.

So after all the time you spent bashing the way We were doing our EZcanbus conversions you went out and duplicated the can network technology that we pioneered.

I guess now we can agree that CAN interfacing is the best way to do a newer engine conversion in a JK.
Always great to see vendors bashing other vendors in tech threads (not just talking to those on this thread).

Back to the regularly scheduled tech....

Robbie - Seeing the clear advantages of this setup, what is the level of effort to swap out the existing, now legacy, BCM+Motech Module configuration?
post #11 of 25 Old 04-20-2017, 08:17 AM
Cod
Mall Crawl Champ!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Quote:
Your welcome.

Technically it's "you're" not your..... now carry on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-20-2017, 08:43 AM
JKowners Vendor

Im not exactly bashing him. I just find it funny that the whole time he was bashing our setup for not having a BCM and running a canbus module.
Now they come out with the BCM removed and a CAN interface with all the controls we pioneered.

With that being said. CANbus interfacing is the way to go and is the future of all late model engine conversions.

In the end having multiple companies competing for the same JK market will drive innovation and lead to a great product for the end consumer.
Wannarun, tapcola and Rubi-8 like this.

post #13 of 25 Old 04-20-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
In the end having multiple companies competing for the same JK market will drive innovation and lead to a great product for the end consumer.
As a new member to this forum and a consumer, I agree that competition is a healthy environment in this great country of ours. I've seen comments on other forums that rate your company and Motech's as the two leading producers of V8 conversions for the Wrangler. As I have begun the process of converting my JK to the V8 platform I place great importance on doing business with companies that respect their competitors intellectual property and provide their customers with exemplary customer service. As I read many forum threads I believe you both have exceeded your customers expectations.
post #14 of 25 Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNbirdman View Post
As a new member to this forum and a consumer, I agree that competition is a healthy environment in this great country of ours. I've seen comments on other forums that rate your company and Motech's as the two leading producers of V8 conversions for the Wrangler. As I have begun the process of converting my JK to the V8 platform I place great importance on doing business with companies that respect their competitors intellectual property and provide their customers with exemplary customer service. As I read many forum threads I believe you both have exceeded your customers expectations.
I agree. In the end the customer will come out on top and receive a high quality conversion kit due to advancements made in the marketplace. If it wasn't for competition I don't think we would be anywhere near the plug and play level we are now.

post #15 of 25 Old 04-20-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Unhappy

Quote:
Im not exactly bashing him. I just find it funny that the whole time he was bashing our setup for not having a BCM and running a canbus module.
Now they come out with the BCM removed and a CAN interface with all the controls we pioneered.

With that being said. CANbus interfacing is the way to go and is the future of all late model engine conversions.

Jon this is not your thread please respect that. When you were in Vegas I explained to you the theory of the CAN interface back in 2013 when you had no intention of offering a kit We had a CAN module in development welle before your EZ CAN, I have the technical drawings of the MoCAN bridge dating back too 2014. We developed our CAN interface in parallel with our MoTech module and every MoTech module since the late Gen III's have had the CAN circuits built in for future use.

Your not listening well either, we have not removed the BCM in production installs yet; however we can, as we can the JK PCM. I, did not "bash" your EZ CAN I questioned the approach of eliminating vital circuits and diagnostics. We have some OE level CAN engineers duplicating the BCM routines for the concern's I voiced too you. I demanded brake switch and CC switch diagnostics, redundant signals, power modes, etc.. When I'm satisfied the BCM routines are sufficient we will remove it but not before then. I demand tapshift in cruise, proper brake switch and brake pedal position sensor diagnostics, our engineers have duplicated this inside our MoCAN module which now runs those diagnostics. The MoCAN module can inhibit fuel, cruise, AC and other outputs based on internal diagnostics.

Jon we do things very different, well some of the hardware is very very similar Were now running OE harnesses with 5X the number of power circuits as you are, were running 6X as many ground circuits. Were machining billet brackets in house, which was a huge investment, but it needs to be done. We approach things from an OE level, you take a minimalist approach which works for you. I built Hot Rods for years and used the minimalist approach, but in a modern JK it's not the way we choose to go. Please understand I have been doing engine swaps for over 30 years and have learned a few things. I have been a level 2 State emissions inspector for 20 years so I had no life and my head grew with knowledge no one cares about, this is very different from your background. Because our goal is the same does not mean we took the same approach. You cannot compare our modules just like you cannot compare our harnesses. We're running nearly 250 amps of circuit protection in our swaps over 15 circuits, your running 70 amps of protection over 3 circuits. We run about 7 ground distribution paths which can handle over 300 amps, your running 1 ground path which who knows how much it can handle. Our approach is very different, again not bashing just not the approach we took. We got our butt's kicked early on with improper grounds(low reference) signals regarding reduced power modes and misfires, and so did GM. We learned along with GM and beefed things up and over 300 swaps later it's a non issue.

Our Gen IV MoTech module is still my favorite bridge, it has a CAN interface built in and so much more. We can install a Gen IV MoTech module to interface an early non CAN Jeep( Hot Rod Muscle Car) for OE cruise control, AC, power modes, tapshift, neutral saftey, rpm and much more. The Gen IV MoTech module is an incredible bridge well ahead of either of our CAN interfaces. The module is fully programmable for inputs and outputs, for different ECM's, BCM's, PCM's and even supports other manufacturers. The Gen IV MoTech module can support 5 CAN networks, has 4 different tach patterns built in, 3 different cam signals built in, supports for not only AC compressor control but automatic AC control, has a user accessible USB port for firmware upgrades and more.

Hopefully the moderators will not remove this thread, I'm willing to talk tech with you or anyone anytime it will benefit the members. I devoted thousands of hours to the LS JK swap as early as 2007. In 2008 I began feasibility studies and by 2009 I was driving LS JK's. I went through different engine frame mounts, trans mounts, trigger wheels, AC control, PRNDL control, it was a big nut. Those early days are over and now the market is demanding LS/LT JK's and were still here, now with competition. Competition is good for the consumer they can choose the approach they want but we won't cut corners. I can say with the billet brackets, OE harness, full diagnostics our complete kits are a heck of a bargain IMO. Our in house builds are equally a bargain; an Turnkey 6.0 swap starting at $16k is less than some charge for just the parts to do the swap.

I do this because it is my passion. When a customer calls me and says how happy he is with his JK that is my payment. When a customer has a problem I'm equally there for them. By developing the best kit we can given the technology available to us is where we are at. We are close to offering a fully functional 100% plug and play kit the proper way. It's worlds different than what we use to do but we were the ones to pioneer the swap. We have many Gen V's on the road now and they are the future and I feel will make all the other engine choices obsolete.

Bottom line is we have to change to meet market demand, we cannot do things the old labor intensive way. Cut and bend brackets, complex harnesses must be rationalized. And if you must know I'm personally not a big fan of the CAN bus, I have resisted. When the CAN freaks out you have a mess that is difficult to diagnose; this is why we are spending so much time on the CAN robustness and will require the vehicle run with the CAN module removed. The TIPM is already a grenade with the pin out last thing we need is more CAN corruption. I like th simplicity of analog/digital interface, yes it can be a pain to build and install but it is simple. Well understood and easy to diagnose, plus the failures rarely affect the vehicle integrity.

I got a Pollo Bowl thank you very much. My wife complains I eat too much fast food so Pollo Loco is somewhat of a compromise. We have an In n Out up the road but.....
Cod, MicroMark and tapcola like this.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #16 of 25 Old 04-20-2017, 12:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'd have gone to the In and Out and just lied to the wife.
Wannarun and tapcola like this.

Kevin
post #17 of 25 Old 04-20-2017, 01:09 PM
Cod
Mall Crawl Champ!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

ALASHA and tapcola like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #18 of 25 Old 04-20-2017, 01:14 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
why were the cruise and ESP indicators on the whole time?
I'm curious too.

post #19 of 25 Old 04-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Rock God

I agree with the In and Out suggestion.............

Robbie,

Once again, your knowledge level shines thru. However, what I failed to learn in reading your posts is the "WHY"? Why did you change your approach? Whatever you were planning in 2013 or 2014, you did make a pretty strong case in the past for keeping things pure and retaining all the GM modules and using the GM architecture without modifying it.

I get it that you have not yet stopped using the BCM, but clearly that seems to be a goal of the new MoCan module. My question is what changed your mind? Again, maybe you were planning this all along, but it sure didn't seem that way a few months back..............

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems there was a shift. I just don't know the why so its hard to understand if its a good thing or not a good thing, from a consumer's viewpoint...............
post #20 of 25 Old 04-20-2017, 02:39 PM
JKowners Vendor

I respect your thread. I didn't come into this to stir up shit. I was just questioning why the change in view point after all the time you spent talking down our CAN interface.

post #21 of 25 Old 04-22-2017, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

This JK had some some ABS codes reporting that were addressed. Many times during a swap we will get wheel speed sensor codes, or the brake level sensor is unplugged. Eventually I do a full network scan and most of the codes are stored and we clear them.

Back in 2008 not many shops were thinking about putting an LS into a JK, cross manufacturer swaps, while legal, as the USEPA says require more work. First came proof of concept. I purchased a 2008 JKU X, I'll do a video on it soon I know how much you guys to hear me talk.

The first iteration was pretty crude but completely functional. When the JK was introduced in 2007 I had already spent countless hours integrating the Gen IV engine into a swap, a Toyota Pickup. I worked with EFI Live to get AFM, 4 low, starter relay checks and other VATS issues plus a whole bunch of other stuff resolved so we could use Gen IV's in swaps. Everyone else was running Gen III engine's but like the now new Gen V's I dived into the Gen IV's.

To get tapshift, cruise control, eliminate key off draws, power down the network properly all required a BCM. I eventually fitted a BCM and got full functionality. The issue here is I know what I am looking for as far as signals and redundancies regarding the BCM functionality because I had my nose into it for months.

Originally the PRNDL, or trans range sensor, was literally a mechanical rotary switch on the side of the shifter driven by a linkage. I built a small circuit to get the AC request on signal out of the JK cluster and ran it through a relay then two cycling switches to control the compressor. I water jet cut crank trigger wheels and fitted them to both the flexplate and the harmonic balancer to get rpm. I interfaced a programmable cam signal from the GM ECM into the JK PCM to get a replicated cam signal for remote start and one touch start. Before that I used a voltage cut off device and even a timed cut off circuit. It got pretty complex but everything worked all those years ago.

I sold my automotive operation after 25 years and semi retired in 2008, so the JK became my hobby. At that point I had no intention of selling kits in mass or even doing installs except maybe one every few months as a project. All that changed one SEMA when John Currie, Phill Howell and about 10 other guys showed up at my little shop. I actually own many automotive locations around Vegas but I was working out of a 2,000sf unit I kept as my hobby shop.

These guys insisted I develop the LS JK swap, they were not happy with the Hemi and the issues it had. So here comes the critical part: if I were to step things up from a cottage industry to production the processes had to change.

In about 2010 the first MoTech module was introduced, it controlled AC semi-properly by getting the AC request signal then sending that through the cycling switches. Within a few months we added EVAP temp control and AC pressure control through the the Gen I MT module for precise AC control. Prior to the Gen I MT module we had what I called the PRNDL board. The JK needs shift lever position(except manual JK's) for neutral safety, PRNDL display on the dash, ESP modes, etc... We built a simple interface with a small linear pot mounted to the shifter, actually similar to the SLP on the new Pentstar JK's. We ended up combining these boards into the first MoTech module.

At this point I was running a fully wired up BCM with tapshift and CC but with some OS's we had key off draw's.
Z-OR likes this.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #22 of 25 Old 04-22-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

What we discovered was the relationship the BCM has to engine performance. The BCM acts as a power mode module, there are many different power modes especially the way the network wakes up and goes to sleep. You wouldn't just pull the plug on your PC to turn it off would you? Well that is essentially what you are doing without proper power down which can take up to 35 seconds. When I was actively doing smog inspections the rules changed and required us to key off for one minute before performing an inspection, the state found out about these power down cycles the hard way. If you key off a Yukon then immediately key up you may be in a different power mode than if you waited 35 seconds, sometimes the CEL would not report if the proper time was not waited and the vehicle would fail the inspection. On power down if the BCM is not allowed to run it's power down routine other modules like the TCM and ECM can go into power limp mode which causes a small key off draw, it's usually between 180-200 milliamps. While not huge this will draw a battery down in less than a week. We spent a lot of time on this issue, we tested with the BCM in and out of circuit.

Another concern was KAM - Keep Alive Memory. Most modules have a full time power source and a keyed power source. Power distribution is critical to run an OE level OS, it's not so critical on an E-rod or Hot-rod harness, this is whey we currently run 15 power distribution circuits. When you key off you need the systems to power down as intended. This means the ECM/TCM maintain adaptives and monitor data on power down. If you don't power down properly you may not set your monitors for an emissions inspection promptly. Some monitors, like EVAP, require several drive cycles with a cool down time in between and if you lose the Mode 6 data on power down it might take a long time or you may never set that monitor.

Losing adaptives is not a big deal but it takes many drive cycles for engine performance to learn spark and fuel adaptives, the transmission to learn shift strategy, etc.. If you we power down improperly you could lose these adaptives and every key cycle engine performance needs to relearn which is wasteful and you may notice oddities like shift flares, high idles, surging, etc.. Learning and storing the adaptives is important.

On trucks and Camaro's it is the BCM that receives cruise control and tapshift signals, processes them and put's them on the BUS. The BCM contains diagnostics for CC, tapshift the brake pedal and more. Chrysler uses two independent brake signals into the PCM, high and low, and the PCM runs the diagnostics. GM have chosen to this day two use the two separate modules for brake pedal diagnostics and redundancy. So one signal is sent to the BCM and the other to the ECM, the signals are synced and two independent modules run rationality checks for maximum saftey.
Z-OR likes this.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #23 of 25 Old 04-22-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

We have known about these power modes and other concerns for years, most other manufacturers do not even understand them and I'm not slamming here' it's just I talk to so many experts or successful shops and they simply do not understand these theory's. When you don't understand how something works you shouldn't be modifying it IMO.

Early on I noticed knock off circuits of our early modules, on occasion I would see pictures of our actual product on a competitors page.

So what this came down to was how to properly integrate the LS into a JK but step up from cottage production where everything is hand made to recognizing economies through rationalization and efficient production. The MoTech module ended up growing into a universal interface module, it can do so many things including AC, CC, PMM, SLP, PRNDL....and even has our CAN bridge built in. The MT module has analog, digital, rpm, CAN and other interface technology in one unit. Because the MT module is fully programmable it is not bespoke to a single application; it will work as well in a 1970 C10 as a 2016 JK.

Many moon's ago I made one kit at a time, by hand. Then we stepped up to 5 at a time. For the last 2 years we were doing 20 at a time, our current production is 50 at a time. Our new billet brackets are not only a requirement IMO but awesome from a performance and appearance standpoint. We purchased vertical and horizontal machining centers to manufacturer these brackets 50 at a time.

50 harnesses are not cheap to produce, especially when you include the cost of the modules. Remember we include fully programmed modules, MT module, ECM and BCM in every kit it's not an add on. So while we would like to cut the circuit count dramatically(copper is expensive) there is simply no shortcuts; we must maintain the OE functionality and saftey.

We have had CAN circuits in JK's for a long time, as I mentioned it has run parallel with the MT module development. Back in 2012-13 I layed out the CAN bridge, we built the circuits and enclosures. I had customers, including Jon, come to the shop and I explaind the economies associated with the CAN bridge, CAN is not new to MoTech and we have not changed coarse as you think, it has been here all along.

In 2013 we got two of three CAN networks online and mostly used it for R&D. For the most part the MT module was doing good but the install was not well understood so we had to streamline the process. I still have customers with Gen I and II modules, my wife being one, who are still on the road today without upgrading.
Z-OR likes this.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #24 of 25 Old 04-22-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

One thing any CAN engineer can tell you is the CAN can be robust, it can heal itself, it can detect and ignore problems; but if something goes bad it can be a nightmare. Even stock JK's with stock TIPM's can have the CAN go berserk. Something as simple as a lockpick or sway bar module can take your JK down. I've been working on Chrysler CAN since the old L bodies in the 90's. Chrysler ran a piggyback CAN network in these vehicles with a separate CAN network. I remember customers not understanding why we had to replace the ABS module to fix their inaccurate temp gauge lol. It happened a lot and we did not have the diagnostics we have today to figure this out.

We have not changed coarse in CAN development nor our commitment to not cut corners. What you saw in the video is the beginning of actual use in a vehicle, it's not beginning of CAN for us. We did not get the idea for CAN from anyone, we initiated it many years ago.

The argument about removing the BCM is a separate argument which I will comment on. We can run with or without a BCM, what is important is if we run without it we don't lose anything. My EE is a smart guy and got CAN online, we then got help from some OE level CAN programmers that understand my position, I envy what these guys do. For example currently without a BCM we are monitoring both brake pedal signals, in two separate modules just like GM does. We are not wire tapped in anywhere we are receiving and transmitting these signals totally on the CAN. These signals are monitored and compared by the GM ECM and the MoCAN module which is running essentially the same routines as the BCM. I'm not the best to explain this but through observation I watch as these programmers record an event such as a remote start or brake pedal application, then play it back like a video recorder. It's not that simple but what it does is give use the functionality we require before we remove a module. Essentially our MoCAN module is the BCM/PCM. Same with the AC we are totally CAN to CAN, these signals are being processed through the appropriate modules with no hard wires.

By including these routines we maintain cruise control in tapshift mode, sport mode, BPP diagnostics, power modes including proper power down. So you've listened to me ramble enough, CAN is not new to us, it has always been intended to be incorporated into the swap when it can be done properly. To simply make it work was not our goal, we were the turtle not the hare but the end result is it must meet my standard before a customer gets one. I have two vehicles in the shop with MoCAN installed, I will test each one thoroughly, I will induce failures and even disable the module and until I am satisfied we will not fully integrate it. We can also use some functions in the MoTech module like CAN PRNDL to get the dash display while using the tried and true analog/digital interface if we want, we have many options available to us.

I look at the current installs and how simple and clean they are and think back to those days in a small shop with a hacksaw and file, we really have come a long way. The Gen V LT swaps are awesome, I call them half way to a diesel engine. Tremendous torque on regular gas and the new 8 speed geared up has tons of power and good economy. Combine that with bolt on billet brackets and plug and play harnesses and I don't see any other power adder out there that can compare.
Z-OR likes this.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #25 of 25 Old 06-13-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

I wanted to share the newest version of our MoTech module, this is not MoCAN; rather the evolution of the universal interface. MoCAN is dependent on specific CAN networks where this module is universal.

This module is 4 layers of SMT, 4"x4" and will be eventually potted; MoCAN is potted and can be run in the engine compartment. As you can see this module has a USB interface so it is user upgradable. What can this module do? We'll lets say you have an old CJ or Hot Rod without CAN and you want to install an LS or LT, this module will control:

• Tapshift input - toggle, rocker, paddles....
  • Up to five Tachometer/Cam inputs-outputs for 12, 36 and 58x signals, ultra fast direct correlation.
  • Cruise control inputs and outputs for OE switch gear. Programmable for CC switch input so you can use almost any discrete or Mux input.
  • PRNDL control - Neutral saftey, reverse lights and even a PRNDL display using a 7 segment driver. Manual to auto, 4 position auto's, 6 position auto's...
  • Power modes on GM OS's
  • Air conditioning- Evaporator temperature control, AC condenser pressure monitoring with high pressure cut off and cooling fan control. Automatic blower speed control and AC request switch input that is programmable. AC compressor delay, high and low rpm cut outs, engine load detection for AC cut out and automatic mode door control.
  • Coolant temperature bridge.
  • Oil Pressure warning indicator.
  • PWM cooling fan control.
  • CAN interface built in.
  • And more...

What this means is you can install an LS or LT into an early Jeep or 55 Chevy and have functionalities like tapshift and OE cruise control by hooking up simple discrete inputs. This module can control your AC like the factory does and even supports a digital gear indicator. No more GM performance controller limitations with 4 speed transmissions and lack of manual shifting, CC, PRNDL... With this module you can install a production engine, 8 speed transmission and gain these functions without having a CAN vehicle.

MoTech
725-502-8507

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode