JKOwners Forum banner

Body Lift Flat Belly Motor Mounts

6K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  j3ff3ry_j33p 
#1 ·
I'm looking into possibly doing a body lift to get the belly of my jk completely flat as well as provide a little more room between the top of the frame rails and my grill so I can set my winch back in more. I've been looking around and haven't quite found an answer on a few things.
I've already built a new transmission cross member but I may need to modify it a bit if I do the BL.
Questions:
would I be able to lift the gas tank above the frame rails?
If I were to make the cross member push the t-case/transmission up close to the body, would it put it on a bind?
It would be pimp to find some raised motor mounts to match the size of the body lift so it would get the exhaust cross over above the frame rails as well, which would make one less step to flat belly skid it.
If anyone knows of any forsale or someone has made them it would be cool to see a picture of them to model them after if I decide to make some.
Thank you!

#2 ·
We did it on our Jeep. All we did was make custom crossmembers and pushed the trans up about 3/4". I know of at least three others who have done the same. Gas tank is a different story though. Most of us ditch the stock tank in favor of something that fits better.

The skid was just a quick mock up, but you get the idea. With the stock t-case, the end still hung a little low, so there is one small area we made to accommodate it. With an Atlas you wouldn't have the issue. We have also seen people push the trans up further, but for driveline angles we didn't. We ditched all the stock brackets on the frame as well. The belly clearance difference is awesome. Jeep never gets hung up. We also don't have any brackets hanging below the axle tubes.

It's amazing how much money people will spend on mods when some of the best ones don't have to cost much money.

#3 ·
It's amazing how much money people will spend on mods when some of the best ones don't have to cost much money.

No doubt. I've watched your build when it was going on and have seen it mentioned before. I've went back and looked it over many times. I'm trying to get a lot of small things worked out to hold me off until the stars align and I build the jeep.
I guess the biggest question I have would be if anyone has seen any raised motor mounts. Those in conjunction with a body lift would put everything where I need it to flat belly the **** outta my rig as well as get the oil pan a little high up; also giving that little extra gap to fit my winch under my grill, it's only about 1/2 too tall and I think it looks like ass to notch the grill for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I've never heard of anyone making raised motor mounts. You'll probably just have to make your own. Copy the stock mounts and make them an inch taller. They are a pretty simple design.

I dig the idea and it should be fairly easy to do. You'll also need to fab your own gas tank skid, but that is easy. Shoot, you can probably do the whole project for a few hundred dollars.

#5 ·
. You'll also need to fab your own gas tank skid, but that is easy. Shoot, you can probably do the whole project for a few hundred dollars.

That's the plan. I have everything laying around to do it other than the body lift. The gas tank skid shouldn't be a problem. I'll just run some straps and a piece of angle on the upper side of the skid to hold it as well.
I didn't imagine anyone made mounts but it was worth asking. I know there's a lot of companies making them for yjs and yjs. Some yj leaf spring bushings and some dom will make the motor mounts easy. Should be a pretty cheap/ slick way to getter flat. Thanks for the help.

#8 ·
Absolutely. It's really not that much work. I mean, I guess you could say I'm not like most people anyway. Week before last I put a clutch in my jeep on Wednesday evening, then blew the ring and pinion on Thursday, and then drove up to summit on Friday evening to get a replacement, had it in and was in the woods at 1pm and didn't get home from riding until 12pm the next day... I woke up at 6pm in the driver seat in my garage... so when It comes down to a few things to gain a flat belly, yes, yes it really is worth the amount of work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.