JKOwners Forum banner

cel - 2012 - regeared to 5.38 - procal - no reverse

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  jlagross 
#1 ·
Putting this under modified instead of electrical since its calibration - but if it needs to be moved please do so!

recently made a few changes to my jeep and hoping someone can give me some insight on the problem ive been having.
Im going to put a lot of information in here so if there's any questions let me know

My jeep -
2012 wrangler 2 door automatic

Whats new -
4-1 rubi tcase
UD60's 5.38s
4.5 inch rk lift
40 inch procomps

Background and The problem -
I previously used a traildash 2 when i had 35s and stock gearing and it worked great. Now that ive regeared, im having issues. it states it adjusts the gear ratio and tire size, but when it shifts into 3rd, it throws a CEL. then doesn't shift past 2nd.
Reading the cel indicated (paraphrasing) a premature shift into 3rd. from the searching ive done this indicates that the gear ratio change never took.
I also lose reverse, and the traildash indicates im always in park until i clear the CEL. i get reverse back if i shut the vehicle off and back on, which ive assumed is the computer not letting me shift (searching forums seems to confirms this)

Then i received an amazing deal on a rubicon tcase i couldn't say no to. SO , now i bring a procal into the mix since the traildash wont do tcase change on a 2012.

So i removed the traildash all together except as a display. completely back to stock tuning and calibration. and am trying to ONLY trying to use the procal at this point.

Ive tried a few combinations, but here are my results - It still throws a cel and the symptoms are the same.
This includes doing the tcase first as the instructions indicate, then gears and tires, or tires and gears (tried both orders). completely restored , tried again. no luck.

Another abnormality - Ive tried setting to 39 inch tires with the procal , and the traildash reads 39.5. This i dont really have a reason i can find.

I have tried searching and found similar threads but no resolutions or information, ive reached out to AEV and im waiting for a call or email back at this point, just wanted to see if anyone had any insight since this has been driving me crazy and this could possibly help someone else in the future.

I know superchips doesnt support running a tune on top of another programmer, but i would like to do this also in the future , if i can get it drivable again correctly, but tuning is the last thing im worried about at this point.

Sorry for the massive amount of information but im hoping this rings a bell to anyone and someone can give me something else to try.

-Jason

See less See more
#3 ·
I just did 4.88 rubicon axles in my 2012 and used a pro cal with great results. Rubicon tcase is next so we will see. I've also heard that sometimes there is issues un-marrying the pro cal. I to want to go to a superchips flash PAC for tuning and for gaining fog lights with high beams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
It could be different number of teeth on the tone rings on the UD60s. Contact the manufacturer and confirm programmer set up from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply

The tone rings are the same, these are made by spicer so they're suppose to be direct plug and play with the electronics.

I've been reading about people replacing the valve in the transmission. i drained and filled the transmission pan to at least get some fresh fluid in there.
broke the head off a pan bolt, so i didn't replace the filter or gasket and now have something else to fix.

Ill be checking all the abs lines and connections. then ill be continuing to work with AEV to resolve. so far they've confirmed they've seen this before but haven't given me a fix yet.

#7 ·
While all the various tuners seem to claim the ability to calibrate the basics, ratios, tire size, etc., the AEV Pro Cal seems to be the most consistently successful. You might try one and see if it gets your basic configuration working. From what you've posted I don't see anything in your build that shouldn't work just fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
Is it your Pro Cal or one that's borrowed? They can only be used on one VIN.

#10 ·
Yes it's mine.

At this point I've tried using the traildash again with no luck. same codes. I tried refreshing without doing the tcase settings (since not going into 4 low) and same issue

I'm out of ideas and a local transmission shop said it's computer related since it's not slipping or anything.

Tried calling aev but didn't leave a message , will try back tomorow.

#11 ·
Have you measured actual tire size and programmed that into the system? IIRC AEV has you measure actual rolling diameter at street pressure, programmed within 1/4" .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.