JKOwners Forum banner

RockHard 4x4 skids.... Quick write up.

760 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  RedRubiconLJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Last weekend was my first time doing any serious trails in our Unlimited. The bride, two kids and two dogs had a great time at the Jolly Jeepers annual Back to Basics run. About 100 rigs , great people, great prizes and decent chow.

Anyway, my first time owning a Jeep this big. Trails that were no problem in the CJ required a VERY delicate touch with the bigger Jeep. I swore they moved the trees closer together.

The top of Firebreak 5 and Archers found the limits of e stock skids. Actually the stock skids held up surprisingly well, but took some decent shots. Enough to scare me into buying some real armor.

I did all the research. Geeked the hell out all over the interwebs and landed on RockHard mostly in the basis of this customer reviews. I am certain that all the other players make a great set if skids as well.

I called up to chat and learn more. I was willing to pop for aluminum, but they actually suggested the steel if weight wasn't a huge issue. The difference would have been like 20 pounds per skid, so I took their advice and went steel.

They arrived a few days later in these huge heavy boxes. Packaging was amazing. Super efficient and very neat. Skids were packed in bubble and the p.coat was perfect. A serious shame to put these things under the Jeep.

I ordered the t.case skid and the gas tank skid only for now. I am pending a Chevy swap and will get the engine skid after the swap.

Both skids came with instructions. Crazy! Very nice and detailed. They even referred you to videos to watch if you couldn't figure out how to remove and replace bolts.

I glanced at the instructions, deemed them superflous and slapped the skids on. Fit is perfect. And coverage is a significant step up from stock, especially the t.case skid. The stock one took some big shots, while leaving some big gaps. I felt lucky to have escaped the rocks unscathed from that last trip.

No pics, sorry, there are tons of pics out there. Just wanted to put some words down and regognize some quality people making quality product.

Oh yeah, install time. I had help from the kids and we got those things under the Jeep in about an hour. Really taking our time.

:)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.