JKOwners Forum banner

Bilstein 7100 Install.

7K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Treader 
#1 ·
Well Hello again! Continued from the old thread. Thought I would start a new one for this. But these bitches arrived today! 7100 series, 12" travel short bodies. I got the rears installed. I used Synergy bar pin eliminators as they looked like they kept the shock mount as close to original as possible using the flat head bolts. Very nice. I thought it would be a pity to put those hose clamps direct on the shock bodies and rezzies so I wrapped them with some rubber tape to protect the finish from scratching when tightening those clamps. Valving is 255/70 and they feel pretty good. I have exactly 6" of shaft showing so right in the middle of the range. I have to run out to get some hardware for the fronts. I am using JKS adapters up front and will install those tomorrow.

See less See more
#3 ·
Because for the same money, you get to be able to tune and rebuild them yourself.
As opposed to just throwing on a shock and you have no choice but to like it....

#4 · (Edited)

Those are sweet @Matt Margerum

gotta give Synergy Mfg cred for their powdercoat quality every time ya see even the smallest of accessories from them.
Let us know how they ride ..I love my 5160s but to have them have different valving and the sturdier bushings instead of consumer shock vulcanized rubber mounting bushings & a valve to have control over the amount of nitrogen would be awesome to fine tune or rebuild ...purty swank , dude

<edit : is it me or are you gonna need longer brake lines , dude. Just noticed that on your rear photo .... >

#5 ·
Jeff, atleast I think thats what your name is..lol
Yea, i was pretty impressed myself by those rear shock adapters...lol. the brake lines are all plenty long enough.

Thats just it with the 7100, why buy 5160 when 7100 is the same investment. I just need to buy the nitrogen tool and yes they can be adjusted with the nitrogen pressure. Just cant go too low or the oil pressure overcomes and will foam. I forget what he said the minimum psi was. I think this 255/70 valving is going to be just fine but we will see. I am a big guy but was able to compress without much struggle to install. I cant wait to drive on them!

Send me a PM, i have some info for you.

#8 ·
Without a doubt! It'll cost me an extra 200 to service myself with the nitrogen shit but money well spent. And happy I didnt dump 1300 on Fox's. So for 900, I have the shocks and equipment to service and tune myself. Cant beat that for the price bracket. Valve stacks are like 20 bucks and seals are cheap. Next step up from here would be the coil over route and that would be when I have another primary vehicle and I go all out and decide to weld in a cage with hoops, the whole 9 and it becomes a dedicated off road animal.

#13 ·
:laughing2:
but, the metal sealing cap at the shaft exit as-well-as the resi having a Schaeder valve ( not to mention the part #) very obviously gives away the ....oh, nm.
Well,if that doesn't serve-to-show /speak VOLUMES towards the qualifications of some of that companies employees (& why it's probably best to not take your Jeep there) , I do not know what could.
Nicely acquired, Dirtman.

#14 ·
So now with a few hundred road miles, I am extremely pleased. The 255/70 valving seems about perfect on my ass. Its very caddyish, I hardly feel a thing. The front may be a touch too soft on compression but I'll see what happens when I eventually get off road. I might have to relocate the front lower shock mounts a tad lower as I only have 4" of exposed shaft at ride height with 8" still in the body. I took my my wifes 2016 Escape to work yesterday and the Jeep is smoother so I am happy! Mission accomplished...

And those 5160 series shocks are in fact rebuildable..

#15 ·
that is cool about the ride/match-up w/ your seat-of-pants being perfect. Glad this worked out for you and I am gonna bet offroad is where they will really shine. Maybe something like the Nemesis ( someone else makes a similar, as well) relo brackets would allow a little more spread-out and thus pull the shock shaft out a wee bit more plus having them pushed-out a little to side is good

yeah, even the 5100s are rebuildable but between what Bilstein charges to do-so and the shipping, it is more cost effective to just replace one ( or all) as opposed to rebuilding...unless something has changed in a few years since last I looked at what services they offer/my warranty doc

#17 ·
Where did you end up buying your 7100's at? Do they do the valving as you want, or tell them the coil your running and they give advice?

I'm looking to change up coils and shocks. The 4 door rubi coils in the back definitely give height, but without weight they ride harsh as ****.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.