JKOwners Forum banner

G2 Core 44 vs Ultimate Dana 44

29K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  SIKJEEP 
#1 ·
I tried the search function cant find an answer to this.
I'm looking at upgrading the front axle in my 13 Sport

What are the main differences if any between the Ultimate 44 & the Core 44?

Any other modifications required to be safe on either(Gussets/Trusses)?

trying to gather all my info and make a wise choice

I don't think Ill ever go bigger than 37/38's so I don't believe ill need to go 1 ton. Although the Fusion 4x4 looks great!!

#2 ·
Core 44 made in China. Both retain the same shittly unit bearing, brakes, and ball joints as the factory axle. These are the main weak points of the factory axle when going to a bigger tire. Why upgrade the housing and keep the weakest points of the factory axle?

#3 ·
Reactions: j3ff3ry_j33p
#5 ·
FWIW, I've been running a Teraflex R44 for the past few years. It is a work of art. The setup was a breeze. I swapped over the Rubi locker plus the chromoly shafts, Reids and Spyntec hubs from the former sleeved & gusseted stock housing. Was able to sell off the stocker, with the Northridge discount I probably have about $800 in the swap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
For me in Canada to do the G2 or the ultimate 44 its about 5g's for me to go to a dana 60 its 8000 for a junk yard axle 10 for a new 60 that's just the front! now add wheels?

3 to 5000 is not pocket change!

#13 ·
So I came to the conclusion that spending $5000 on a Prorock 44 was a much better choice and much cheaper than buying a 60 or eve bulding a Junkyard 60.[/QUOTE]

Running a 35-36" tire I would not even bother with spending $5k to upgrade to the housing.

#14 ·
Running a 35-36" tire I would not even bother with spending $5k to upgrade to the housing.
The Dana 30 had 3 damaged teeth on the 4.88 ring gear and factory housings have less than ideal caster and pinion separation.

The housing was only part of the $5000. Also included in that price is a selectable Eaton E-locker instead of the Detroit Truetrac, RCV axle shafts that eliminate U-joint bind, all but perfect pinion and caster angles, an upgraded ring gear from a busted Dana 30 to a Dana 44, and a housing I don't have to worry about or doctor.

I didn't and still do not feel the Factory Dana 30 was worth throwing another set of gears in.

#16 ·
And you can get a fusion dana 60 bolt on for around $4500 with bigger brakes, unit bearings, and kingpin. Yes, new wheels would be needed.

I agree the pro rock 44 unlimited is nice because it is caster corrected and you can get them in a wider width (which most neglect to do).

#17 · (Edited)
From what I can tell from the Fusion site the axle does not include steering, brakes or component install, comes with the original used hubs and unit bearings and you still have u-joints. RCV's would be a lot more and you still have to weld the brackets on and install ring/pinion locker, locker, etc.. The post on here about that axle is not very clear on what's included either. There is also the weight difference.

#20 ·
i built my own Mopar Performance D44HD/J8 with 5.38 Yukons and an OX locker for under 3K cdn. Much stronger then a D30 and Plenty strong enough for what I need. Mopar D44HD/J8 housing is same as Dana Ultimate D44. I also considered the SuperDuty junkyard builds but the used housing around here is $1400 then the D60 inner parts are expensive.. The D44 was a fun build..

#23 ·
That's the one. It's not the Cs that bend but rather the tube at the C joint/weld on the stock D30/44, putting a gusset on it Will strengthen that joint. With heavier tubes it's a non issue. Everyone thinks its the Cs that bend but they don't, Google it. The JK D30/D44 C is tougher then people give them credit. As for the rest, the PR still uses the same balljoints, unit bearings, axles, lockers, bearings and R&P. Is the PR a stronger housing, certainly. But I don't need that strength or the caster adjustment, and not for the 3-4K cdn difference.
The J8 tubes are a bit heavier then stock as are the brackets. Dana does offer the caster adjustment if you order from them.

#28 · (Edited)
The Dana version with caster adjusted has to be ordered direct from Dana. Mopar Performance only has the factory direct swap.

#29 ·
Fusion, one thing I have not seen mentioned on the super duty axle swaps in terms of caster. How do the caster set ups on the tons compare to factory JK? With the ton axles set up for vehicles that sit higher then the JK from the factory does it basically act like a caster corrected axle? And if so what is the ideal lift size for the caster?

#30 ·
The super duty axles run at about 9 degrees of separation, so call it 3 degrees of correction. In addition, the upper ball joints sit in an adjustable bushing (the factory bushing is not adjustable, but a $20 aftermarket bushing is). The aftermarket bushing has +/- 2 degrees of caster and similar in camber. So, you can go to 11 or 7 degrees of separation. Easily enough to get you to 6" of lift. Obviously, you can further adjust caster with the control arms, but we have never seen a need for it and don't recommend it as we set the brackets up based on lift height.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.