JKOwners Forum banner

New full cage, third row seating, coilovers, underseat drawer

30K views 93 replies 36 participants last post by  jorge meza 
#1 · (Edited)
So now that the LS3 swap is done I can move on to the new cage. I have no intention of doing this myself just due to the time constraints. SO in looking around there was really only one guy in Phoenix that does the craziest cages, and that is Hunter Offroad. John is an artist with tube work.

Here is another cage he did recently on an LJ.

The plan is as follows:

Third row seating - I have 4 kids
New fully intergrated cage, through the dash
Cage over the third row
Coilovers
Custom full extension drawer under third row for tools
New air system to replace the CO2 I wont have space for (Probably 2-3 ARB Dual compressors or an Oasis if I can fit it.)
Custom soft top

The plan is that the new cage will go over the third row. I am doing a custom soft top to allow the rear window to be more vertical, so that I can get an additional 3-5 inches of legroom in the third row.

Here it is when I dropped it off, and when he pulled the stock stuff out.

See less See more
#4 ·
Slowly but surely it is coming along. The shop has had a few other projects they needed to do before mine, which is fine.

You can see the sweet plates for the D. Pillars

This shows how we are moving the rear of the cage back to give some extra room for the third row.

#5 ·
Slowly but surely it is coming along. The shop has had a few other projects they needed to do before mine, which is fine.

You can see the sweet plates for the D. Pillars

really like that plate for the rear. Great idea

#6 ·
A few more pics of the progress.

The main thind that I wanted in this was increased height for headroom. Most of the aftermarket cages are designed to run with hard tops. Since I will only be ever running a soft top, there is a lot of extra headroom you can get by putting the crosspieces up higher.

B-Pillar tie ins.

#7 · (Edited)
Nice, been looking forward to your updates on the cage, looks like its turning out great! Is the plan to stop at the plates, or will there be plates on the bottom and stringers tied into the frame as well? A,B,C pillars using plates at floor as well or cutting through the floor to get to the frame?

#21 ·
I bought the teraflex brackets, but we are going to just build something similar into the mount for the underseat drawer. And yes I am using a seat from a two door.

#28 ·
I am waiting until the cage is done to figure that out. I am basically just going to buy a new regular top (mine is all messed up) and have an upholstery shop change what panels are necessary. It looks like only a few changes to a regular top would make it work. There is actually a shop next door to where my cage is being done that I will probably use. Everything lines up with the factory top until we get above the rear seat. That is where the adjustments will have to be made. But I want to be able to use all the windows etc.

#36 ·
Yeah, the solutions are always a compromise to keep the rear seat(s) functional and safe.

You have probably already talked about it... But always thought a harness bar behind the front seats was a good solution. Put padding on it for safety and it can be be dual utilized as a grab bar for the rear seats and tie in the B's

#43 ·
We are not going to do the suspension at this time as I need the Jeep over the summer. The ETA is next week for completion of the cage.

Here are some shots.

The rear seat really hugs the back of the cage giving maximum room

You should see how tight this is when the seat folds forward. John made it so snug maximizing the space.

This is with the seat folded forward. This is where the drawer will fit, above the trunk that was inserted. I cant have the drawer built until the seat is totally welded in.

Just a cool shot of the lines

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.