1 ton Forn Sterling Rear in a JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

1 ton Forn Sterling Rear in a JK

I have a 10.5" sterling from an 06 f-350 and I'm considering putting it under my JK. Has anyone done this swap. I think width wise I'd be ok. Stock F-350 SWD witdh is 67.2" whereas stock jk rear witdh is 65.25 so I think that would be ok. If I'm wrong please let me know expected problem areas. If I decide to move fwd on this I will want to swap the shafts out so they have a 5 on 5 flange. Are there axle shaft companies that would make such a shaft? Is this a good swap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Jeeper View Post
I have a 10.5" sterling from an 06 f-350 and I'm considering putting it under my JK. Has anyone done this swap. I think width wise I'd be ok. Stock F-350 SWD witdh is 67.2" whereas stock jk rear witdh is 65.25 so I think that would be ok. If I'm wrong please let me know expected problem areas. If I decide to move fwd on this I will want to swap the shafts out so they have a 5 on 5 flange. Are there axle shaft companies that would make such a shaft? Is this a good swap?
Moser can make you any axle shaft you need. That's the easy part.
You will lose yout ESP and ABS. But if you have an auto trans, you may have bigger problems, as the computer gets it's speed data from the ABS sensors. Without a speed signal, your computer won't know when to tell the trans to shift.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hmmm, yes I do have auto. Is there a work around. Will the tone ring from the ford interface with the jeep tone ring?
post #4 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Granite Guru

Speed sensor telling the trans when to shift What? How about speed sensors controlling ABS & Traction Control....NOT Transmission Control... Cut all the wires going to the axles and your trans will shift the same way it always has. Don't make statements unless your 100% sure they are true.

2008 X- Red Rock, w/Rockwells on the install

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Jeeper View Post
Hmmm, yes I do have auto. Is there a work around. Will the tone ring from the ford interface with the jeep tone ring?
Currently researching.
Kenny(River Raider) is swapping in a 14B and an HP60, so you may want to contact him for updates. I'm researching for a full Ford 60 swap as well.
Mine has manual windows and locks, and I have already re-wired most of my lighting away from the CANBUS.
I'm tempted to just yank all the computer crap and swap in a 4BT. Would be nice to have control of everything instead of that fawking CANBUS running my show!
post #6 of 14 Old 12-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul08Wrangler View Post
Speed sensor telling the trans when to shift What? How about speed sensors controlling ABS & Traction Control....NOT Transmission Control... Cut all the wires going to the axles and your trans will shift the same way it always has. Don't make statements unless your 100% sure they are true.

I'm not 100% sure. That's why I use the word "may" and admit that I'm researching. I heard that without speedo, tranny no shifty. Still researching. Are you 100% sure that it will?
I'm curious... were you aware that the JK gets it's speed signal for the speedo, from the ABS sensors?
Not like the previous Jeeps where there is a mechanical speedo gear on the T-Case tail housing.
But since you claim that you can cut all the wires off your axles and the auto trans will still shift normally, it must be 100% true.

Last edited by Co4Lo; 12-03-2009 at 11:11 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-04-2009, 08:04 AM
TOTL Innovations

Didnt we just get a guy from JKF that was doing a similar swap? Sorry I cant remember his handle right now but he is from Jersey.
Edit:
joePILE knows who I am talking about so you may want to ask him

Last edited by ALASHA; 12-04-2009 at 08:07 AM.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-04-2009, 10:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul08Wrangler View Post

I guess you had to be a complete fucking douche about it right

and its you're 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #9 of 14 Old 12-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I am not so sure de-computering a JK would be the best of ideas. At that point you might as well just build a whole new Jeep!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #10 of 14 Old 12-05-2009, 06:23 AM
JKO Addict!

I believe the speedo works off an average of all 4 wheel sensors and the left front is the main sensor for the computer. That's what I have been told

|
|
post #11 of 14 Old 12-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Rock God

how about this disconnect the abs sensors on all four corner and drive around town then come tell use what happens if it shifts or not
post #12 of 14 Old 12-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Granite Guru

If it does shift, it will shift like butt.
The TCM pulls VS from the PCM that gets it from the wheel speed sensors.

The trans does have an input shaft speed sensor & output shaft speed sensor built in that feed the TCM however it also needs VS to compute its shift points.

& then you have check engine, IAC, ABS, traction control, so on going nuts.

Thean Bellocchi
Poly Performance Inc.

Sales & Tech Support
805-783-2060 Ext. 200
Makers of the JK Synergy Suspension Systems & Parts.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Rock God

I have been told if you do not have the ringtone connected the JK will not start. by the time you buy the housing and get everything machined to work with the currie rng tone it was just as much as buying a new one from currie. Unless you can do the work yourself, then it's a different story
post #14 of 14 Old 12-05-2009, 04:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

As a buddy of mine said, I think all of us are going to be ripping the CANBUS out in a few years and just re-wire the damn thing with a painless wiring kit LOL.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode