Poly Performance Rocker guards - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Question Poly Performance Rocker guards

Just bought a set off Quadratec and was wondering if anybody has installed them by themselves as an extra set of hands for me maybe difficult to find when they arrive?

tia,

terrahawk

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Rock God

Here's a thread that may be of help...

Poly Performance High Clearance Rocker Guards
post #3 of 15 Old 02-27-2008, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks

post #4 of 15 Old 02-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Wheeler

WAIT! WAIT! WAIT!

THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE A$$ BY YOURSELF! aND MAKE SURE THE NUT INSERTS ARE TIGHT. AND THEN TIGHTEN THEM SOME MORE BECAUSE ONCE THEY SPIN ITS NOTHING BUT TROUBLE. MY DRIVER SIDE IS STILL IN NEED OF ADJUSTMENT. MY "TOOL" FOR NUTSERTS WORE OUT AND I ENDED UP BUYING A NEW ONE. ALSO CHECK THEM AS SOON AS YOU GET THEM. i RECEIVED TWO PASS SIDE AND QUADRATEC THEN SENT ME ANOTHER PASS SIDE!!
post #5 of 15 Old 02-27-2008, 10:39 AM
TrailDuty.com

I had help to install mine, and with two people it is easy. After doing it, I could easily do it by myself a second time, and have had mine off and on since by myself. But for the initial install I would recommend having an extra pair of hands if possible.

I never had any problem with the nutserts, just get them tight. Don't use any thread locker on the bolts, otherwise you will have a problem should you ever have to remove them.

If you need another nutsert "tool" you can make your own easily with a bolt, nut, and star washer, just copy the one provided. I've used a bolt and lock washer in the past for nutserts.

Use a step drill to drill the holes in the body, it is much easier than a regular drill bit, and will prevent the possibility of ripping up the body work. If you don't have one, you can pick one up at Harbor Freight for $8 or so that will do the job just fine. In a few places you have to drill through the an inner piece of steel also, but it is all easy.

I found the stock body mount bolts a little bit of a pain to get out, as they seem to spin freely, just apply a little downward pressure on the washers and they will come out just fine. Same for putting the new bolts in, I found it easier to use a drill driver and apply a little ipward pressure and then they go in real easy.

Last edited by PhilD; 02-27-2008 at 10:42 AM.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-27-2008, 10:44 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNTER View Post
THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE A$$ BY YOURSELF! aND MAKE SURE THE NUT INSERTS ARE TIGHT. AND THEN TIGHTEN THEM SOME MORE BECAUSE ONCE THEY SPIN ITS NOTHING BUT TROUBLE.
If nutserts spin, I've always found that some light use of an impact wrench will tighten them nicely. Same applies if they spin while trying to remove them, light use of an impact will tighten them up good and then allow you to undo them easily without spinning.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-27-2008, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for all the advice guys.

post #8 of 15 Old 02-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Wheeler

Goodluck!

I think you will be happy, I like them the best that I have seen, SOLID. I agree with PhilD it would definately be easier the second time around.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-27-2008, 05:25 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
I think you will be happy, I like them the best that I have seen, SOLID.
X2 and they are very high clearance.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Granite Guru

I put mine on the other day and they are BY FAR the best out there. I am soooo glad I went with the PP ones.
Just a side note, if you have a Rubicon Express long arm kit, you will need to notch out the rocker to accommodate the rear lower control arm bracket. No big deal but nice to know.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Wheeler

The PP rockers install the same way as the Rock Hard rockers. I was able to install these with occasional assistance from the wife.
PhilD is right about getting the factory bolts out. I used an air racket and simultaneously applied downward pressure using a garden trowel for leverage! Worked a charm.
Don't forget to paint the holes (touch up paint is $9 at your Jeep dealer) after your drill them and let em dry before you install the nutserts...
I actaully bought a $40 stubby step drill bit from Ace so that I wouldn't have to drill thru the inner wall...
post #12 of 15 Old 03-19-2008, 11:20 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTAR View Post
I put mine on the other day and they are BY FAR the best out there. I am soooo glad I went with the PP ones.
Just a side note, if you have a Rubicon Express long arm kit, you will need to notch out the rocker to accommodate the rear lower control arm bracket. No big deal but nice to know.
I have the RE 4.5 LA kit too and Im thinking about getting the Poly rockers.

I have no problem cutting them to fit, I do things like this all the time, but would you happen to have pics of what yours looks like?

That would be great if you have some to show!

To anyone else who has them, Im also wondering how far they stick out off the side of the Jeep?
Do they provide much more then the stock Rubi rails do, as far as keeping a tree off my door?

Thanks for any info guys!
post #13 of 15 Old 04-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eracer76 View Post
I have the RE 4.5 LA kit too and Im thinking about getting the Poly rockers.

I have no problem cutting them to fit, I do things like this all the time, but would you happen to have pics of what yours looks like?

That would be great if you have some to show!

To anyone else who has them, Im also wondering how far they stick out off the side of the Jeep?
Do they provide much more then the stock Rubi rails do, as far as keeping a tree off my door?

Thanks for any info guys!

Sorry, I just saw this reply. I'll get you some pics.
I beat on them a little in Moab and they laughed at everything I banged/rubbed them on. They only stick out about an inch and a half but it seems adequate.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE A$$ BY YOURSELF! aND MAKE SURE THE NUT INSERTS ARE TIGHT. AND THEN TIGHTEN THEM SOME MORE BECAUSE ONCE THEY SPIN ITS NOTHING BUT TROUBLE. MY DRIVER SIDE IS STILL IN NEED OF ADJUSTMENT. MY "TOOL" FOR NUTSERTS WORE OUT AND I ENDED UP BUYING A NEW ONE. ALSO CHECK THEM AS SOON AS YOU GET THEM. i RECEIVED TWO PASS SIDE AND QUADRATEC THEN SENT ME ANOTHER PASS SIDE!!
I didnt have a problem with the nut inserts, but after I installed the driver side rail,
I opened the box labeled passenger side, and low and behold it was another driver side!!!
Maybe I got your driver side and you got my passenger side
Anyway, Quadratec sent a new one out asap with a return tag for the wrong one, which I still have along with extra hardware and stickers

Quote:
Sorry, I just saw this reply. I'll get you some pics.
I beat on them a little in Moab and they laughed at everything I banged/rubbed them on. They only stick out about an inch and a half but it seems adequate.
No problem, I got them and installed them last week.
All I had to do was notch the very bottom about 2 1/2" x 14" to clear the long arm bracket and part of the arm.
I put them to use already too, so far they just laughed at the rocks they touched

07' Graystone Unlimited Rubicon
Rubicon Express 4.5" Long Arm kit
35" BFG mud's and 17" Pro Comp wheels
Warn 9.5ti winch
Shrockworks stubby front bumper
Mopar rear bumper/tire carrier
Poly Performance rocker guards
Skid Row engine skid
and a whole lot more over priced stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-08-2008, 07:29 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
I beat on them a little in Moab and they laughed at everything I banged/rubbed them on.
I did the same the other week down here, put some nice scratches in them, but nothing else.

Quote:
They only stick out about an inch and a half but it seems adequate.
For playing on rocks that is all you need, the high clearance of them kept me off the rocks a lot of the time. I really like them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode