first lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-24-2008, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

first lift

I'm going to tackle my first lift today, 3" Black Diamond. Will I need spring compressors or can I get the axles low enough to slip the coils in? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Rock God

I installed a Full Traction 3" lift with heavy duty front coils and a spring compressor was not needed. The rear was easier than the front. Just make sure you disconnect things like the brake line brackets (frame and caliper), locker wiring clips (if you have a Rubicon), sway bar links, breather tubes, etc. so you'll get the maximum amount of axle droop. Keep a jack under the differential to support the axle. Also, when you install the coil on the front driver side, for example, put a floor jack under the axle on the passenger side and jack it up. This will cause the driver side to drop way down so you can get the coil in. Vice versa for the passenger side coil. A pry bar will come in handy too.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I used my Hi-Lift Jack and jacked up each corner individually to install coil springs but I alos used my sprint compressors. They helped an awful lot! Come by and I'll loan you mine.

Most parts stores that rents tools like Kragen, Autozone etc also rent spring compressors.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-25-2008, 07:04 AM
TrailDuty.com

You shouldn't need spring compressors, I've had my old 4" springs and current 4.5" springs in an out quite a few times without them. I've used spring compressors when I've been tool lazy to disconnect everything, but they are not needed.

You can buy some cheap spring compressors from Harbor Freight for $12 or so.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Alec W

I did my 4 lift without them. The fronts were tricky but disconnection the driveshaft (at the diff) got the axle low enough to pry bar them in. I also found that zip tying the bump stop inside the spring and bolting it down later vs. trying to get the spring over it too made it easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode