Help prevent more land closures in So Cal - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 01-30-2009, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Help prevent more land closures in So Cal

Please help John with this. He and CA4WDC are working hard to keep public lands open for our use.

URGENT: GPS data needed by February 28, 2009
From John Stewart, CA4WDC Natural Resource Consultant

There is a critical need to identify routes used for recreation in the southern California desert area from U.S-Mexico border north to Mono Lake.

The California Wilderness Coalition is preparing a proposed wilderness bill to be introduced this Congressional Session. We have an opportunity to argue to exclude routes used by recreation.

I need YOUR assistance. I need YOUR data you have collected during your many trips to the deserts and mountains of southern California.

Specifically, I am requesting the following:

GPS track log data for all routes used by CA4WDC events. This data should include as a minimum trail start and end points, headquarters and staging areas, and camping areas.
GPS track log data for all routes used by CA4WDC member clubs for their events. This data should also include as a minimum trail start and end points, headquarters and staging areas, and camping areas.
GPS track log data for all routes used by CA4WDC members they consider important for their recreation opportunity. This data should also include as a minimum trail start and end points and camping areas.
Your track logs can be in one of the following forms:

Garmin MapSource (a file you save with the extension .gdb)
National Geographic TOPO (a file you save with the extension .tpo)
Terrain Navigator (a file you save with the extension .gdb or .gpx)
Map Create (a file you save with the extension .usr)
In general, if you have a Garmin, Magellan, or Lowrance GPS receiver and it came with map display software, you can transfer data from your GPS to a file.

If you have existing tracklog data on your GPS, download it and send it to me by e-mail.

If you have a desire to visit places in the desert at risk of closure, specific areas of interest are:
Death Valley National Park, Avawatz Mountains, Kingston Range Addition, Soda Mountains, Cady Mountains, Sleeping Beauty, Great Falls Basin, Trilobite Additions, Clipper Mountains Additions, Malpais Mesa Addition, Slate Range, Palo Verde Additions, Vinagre Wash Complex, Indian Pass Additions, and Table Mountains.

This effort is not limited to the BLM Desert District. As the travel management projects move forward, the Motorized Vehicle User Maps will be reviewed every year. Having the same data used by the agencies will assist in keeping routes each year and potentially adding routes to the system. This is a long term effort to collect data on all routes of importance to recreation.

Again, I am looking for as much data on routes as possible. You can help by sending me your GPS data.

If you have any questions, please email: john@muirnet.net, or call: 619-390-8747 or 619-508-8840.

I need as much data as possible by February 28, 2009.

Current Mods:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  1. Cleghorn tailpipe mod
  2. Cleghorn side step ventilation with Gold Mtn. enhancement
  3. Heartbreak Ridge bumper scuffs
  4. Goler gas tank skid mod
  5. Miscellaneous pin striping
  6. Woods evap cannister relocate (Wow, an intentional mod!)
  7. 2"BB and swapped in stock Rubi coils and shocks (thanks Seth!)
  8. Calico fender realignment and texturing
  9. Calico "explodey the side step" ez removal kit
  10. Stock Rubicon rails courtesy of JackTuttle (Thanks Jack!)
  11. Solid Axle dif covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Rock God

Garage

I Don't trust government and this seems more like recon for where to put gates!!
post #3 of 4 Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Granite Guru

I first read this as "Help prevent more land cruisers in So Cal"..... Im like "that is a problem".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SELF PROCLAIMED CANADA'S #1 OFFROADING SITE!

2008 JK RUBICON
5" Skyjacker
2" BDS Spacers
40x18x15 Boggers
15x10 Beadlocked Black Rock Rims
JE REEL Drive Shafts
TeraFlex Adjustables
Rugged Ridge Vests/Daystar Dash/Raingler Grab Handles
post #4 of 4 Old 01-30-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
I Don't trust government and this seems more like recon for where to put gates!!
Could be, but John seems to be a squared away guy and this is definitely not his first rodeo. Check out the CA4WD website for background.

Current Mods:
  1. Cleghorn tailpipe mod
  2. Cleghorn side step ventilation with Gold Mtn. enhancement
  3. Heartbreak Ridge bumper scuffs
  4. Goler gas tank skid mod
  5. Miscellaneous pin striping
  6. Woods evap cannister relocate (Wow, an intentional mod!)
  7. 2"BB and swapped in stock Rubi coils and shocks (thanks Seth!)
  8. Calico fender realignment and texturing
  9. Calico "explodey the side step" ez removal kit
  10. Stock Rubicon rails courtesy of JackTuttle (Thanks Jack!)
  11. Solid Axle dif covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode