best cat back exhaust system - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 04-15-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question best cat back exhaust system

thinking of an exhaust upgrade.which system would anybody recommend.i really like the new volant dual tip muffler.does anyone have it installed.thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 04-15-2009, 03:55 PM
JKO Addict!

I have the MBRP exhaust installed.
I noticed a little difference from around 1800 to 2500 RPM.
Sound is ok, but what do you expect from a 3.8!!!
post #3 of 42 Old 04-16-2009, 07:32 AM
JR
Rock God

I think the dual tips look a bit silly.

We've been moving the JBA stainless systems. Subtle sound difference and overall a nice part. The clamp on style doesn't seem to hold though, I always toss a couple tack welds on ours just to make sure it stays in place.

Not actual picture but here's the link
http://www.rjroffroad.com/jba-25-sta...-pr-17025.html

Jason from RJR Off-Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

coupon code = JKOWNERS
post #4 of 42 Old 04-16-2009, 07:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have a flowmaster 40 on in the stock location.It's smaller and fits up there real nice,decent sound (it is a V-6) installed for $125.00.You can spend alot more $ for little to no difference except maybe bragging rights,imho.These high dollar systems are a crock.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #5 of 42 Old 04-16-2009, 08:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Oh yeah,if your thinking about a CAI,don't waste your money.The only one that actually brings in colder air is the snorkel job.If your not going to be doing much,if any fording,a simple K&N dropin will work just fine.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #6 of 42 Old 04-16-2009, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Talking cat back exhaust

thanks for your input guys.all the systems look nice but i think i am just going to do the muffler.
post #7 of 42 Old 04-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Granite Guru

I did a search on YouTube.com, under "Jeep JK exhaust", and it comes up with a marvel of sounds from the various exhausts. Based on actual sound, for me:
Flowmaster 40, Magnaflow, MBRP
All have the right sound range, Flowmaster is in my backyard, Magnaflow is endorsed by the Andretti family, and MBRP sounds snaughty. Gibson sounded a tad "cute" like our stock horn does, dual tip model. One guy just hacked off his muffler, and jetted the exhaust from the cat out the side. It sounded alot like the gibson......

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #8 of 42 Old 04-17-2009, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Unhappy cat back exhaust

does any body have the volant dual setup.it looks very nice but very pricey for just a muffler.trying to find a sound clip but no luck so far.
post #9 of 42 Old 04-17-2009, 08:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
Oh yeah,if your thinking about a CAI,don't waste your money.The only one that actually brings in colder air is the snorkel job.If your not going to be doing much,if any fording,a simple K&N dropin will work just fine.
Thank you for posting facts and not "it's awesome and works and gives me a lot of power" just because you purchased it and realize it didn't do shat! I hate those kinds of posts, indeed it might give you 5rwhp on the dyno and even the snorkel is "not all that" but at least it's more of a colder (than engine bay) air setup. Now if someone would just come out with a non-ugly snorkel we'd be good to go.
post #10 of 42 Old 04-17-2009, 01:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post
Thank you for posting facts and not "it's awesome and works and gives me a lot of power" just because you purchased it and realize it didn't do shat! I hate those kinds of posts, indeed it might give you 5rwhp on the dyno and even the snorkel is "not all that" but at least it's more of a colder (than engine bay) air setup. Now if someone would just come out with a non-ugly snorkel we'd be good to go.
How about dildo's hood scoop? It's like a giant version of the J8 hood snorkel

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #11 of 42 Old 07-24-2009, 02:40 PM

How does everyone feel about the Cool Tech LLC Exhaust?

YouTube - CoolTechLLC Jeep JK Exhaust 3

I think it sounds pretty cool.
post #12 of 42 Old 07-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Wheeler

If I did not already have a Catback Cherry Bomb Exhaust the CoolTech would be my choice. Unfortuantely I did not discover it, the CoolTech one, till after the fact.

I do have some of their other stuff and it is excellent.

Carl

Building my Jeep one mod at a time, slowly.
post #13 of 42 Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

these mufflers sound like a rice burner.. im looking for more of a lower tone like the str8 piped trucks

07 2dr Rubicon - Teraflex 6" LA - 37 KM2's - LoD rear bumper - Rockhard front stubby - Poison Spyder Flares - etc.

upcoming: Front D60, 40's, beadlocks.

post #14 of 42 Old 07-25-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGEN View Post
these mufflers sound like a rice burner.. im looking for more of a lower tone like the str8 piped trucks
What exhaust has that sound?
post #15 of 42 Old 07-25-2009, 04:20 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGEN View Post
I think you are going to need a nice size V8 to get that kind of sound. Probably should do the hemi conversion and then think about the exhaust sound.

Carl

Building my Jeep one mod at a time, slowly.
post #16 of 42 Old 08-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
thinking of an exhaust upgrade.which system would anybody recommend.i really like the new volant dual tip muffler.does anyone have it installed.thanks.
Did you end up getting an exhaust system? How did you make out?

Scott
Phone 1-888-636-7223
Web

NEW FACEBOOK GROUP: MBRP Performance Exhaust
post #17 of 42 Old 08-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Granite Guru

I just bought a 40 series flowmaster, cut out a space for it under my side of the jeep, stuck it up in there and ran the pipe straight out the back on the drivers side. Its got a low deep rumble. Not too loud but sounds real nice at peak RPMs. Once I get home and get the tip on it that I want it should be good to go. Now I have that whole space where the stock muffler went to do whatever I want with

08 JKU X - Flame Red w/ a few Doo Dads
post #18 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 08:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Cat-Back vs. Muff

So, I'm getting the feeling that you guys would NOT recommend cat-back systems, overall. Is this correct?
post #19 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Granite Guru

I installed a Flowmaster 40 yesterday and LOVE the sound! Deep tone with a little rumble.. Nothing too loud at all though... Got a grand total of $55 in it..

post #20 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 08:51 AM
JKO Addict!

I've been looking at the Gibson dual exhaust...
post #21 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 09:18 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
I too, believe that performance is not a reason to purchase a CAI. However, I installed a AEM CAI. The reason being, the air filter is really easy to clean. Just drop it in a bucket of water rinse. No oil. I've seen how much dirt comes out of that thing and I do think that a really dirty air filter will steel some power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
I've been looking at the Gibson dual exhaust...
MHO is that the single in dual out Gibson is the best sounding exhaust that I've heard. Unfortunately it's got giant tips running out the back that wouldn't work at all on the rocks.

I offer a really good high clearance muffler relocation system. You have to relocate the evap canister but I think it's the best system available, for the rocks. I tested Borla, Flowmaster 40 and several Magnaflows. All loud and ricey. I had to have a muffler made, in order to offer a "no-drone" kit. It's not nearly as quiet as the factory muffler, but it's not obnoxious on the hwy. At 60 MPH you barely hear it. I think my CAI is a little louder on the hwy. Still no V8, but as close as I could get.
Mandrel bent stainless steel. Lifetime warranty. Pre-formed Band Clamps. All the best that money can buy.

There are some sound vids on my website, as well as a Borla, Magnaflow, Flowmaster comparison. http://www.jeepswag.com/jeepswagmuff/

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:

post #22 of 42 Old 10-02-2009, 03:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUjeepguy View Post
I installed a Flowmaster 40 yesterday and LOVE the sound! Deep tone with a little rumble.. Nothing too loud at all though... Got a grand total of $55 in it..
I've always been a huge fan of Flows... I've used them on V-8 street/race cars forever. But, I've never used them on low powered V-6.

Beside performance, my only fear is that it sounds like some 16 year-old's version of a Mitsubishi Eclipse on crack, with a G-Reddy pipe on it.

Does it sound ricey? Any help, tips, or feedback, is appreciated from you veterans out there. Thanks!
post #23 of 42 Old 07-07-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
What exhaust has that sound?
hi my name is tseesejr weare did you relocate your water evap tank
post #24 of 42 Old 07-07-2010, 06:56 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseesejr View Post
hi my name is tseesejr weare did you relocate your water evap tank
Here you go;

http://www.jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_evap...tion/index.htm

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:

post #25 of 42 Old 07-08-2010, 07:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Since this isn't on the vendors section,I don't give a fuck.If you want better sound,a little better performance,and wife friendly,why would anyone in their right mind want to spend a ton of money on high end exhaust systems that don't do anymore then a simple muffler change?Dyno results are okay if you plan on running full fuckin' throttle.....well....are you?If not,fuck the stainless steel space age high tech shit.Buy a nice performance muffler and be done with it.This ain't rocket fuckin' science.Want to spend mass quantities of loot on a 3.8 v6????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode