AEV rear bumper - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 04-06-2009, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

AEV rear bumper

Check out AEV's product forum. Has a few shots. Bumper has a built in water tank. Tire carrier swings in conjunction with the tailgate

http://forum.aev-conversions.com

I'd post the complete link, but I am on my iPod Touch

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Rock God

whats the purpose of the water tank? Radiator, to drink what? What if there is rust inside it and then drink?
post #3 of 27 Old 04-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Rock God

5.5 of drinking water...
post #4 of 27 Old 04-06-2009, 08:58 PM
JKO Addict!

If you read the thread, he states the tank could be drinking water safe, but not recommended. It's more for washing hands and stuff (that's what he said).

Seems kind of retarded. Nice bumper otherwise though.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Rock God

they certainly went outside the box

lots of potential for those water attachment thingies

i could see them being made in aluminum as air tanks, or something else, like extra gas carriers

dont really like the design of thetube though

but im sure its designed very well

Last edited by jeepik; 04-06-2009 at 09:14 PM.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Alec W

Actually that’s a darn good out of the way idea for non portable water. I think I’ll steal that idea and fab something for my Rockhard bumper actually. No way would you want to put gas in there as someone else posted but water taking up unused space within the bumper is an awesome idea (to me).
post #7 of 27 Old 04-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Rock God

Keep in mind that they are "American EXPEDITION Vehicles".

With expo in mind and not straight rock crawling. I think the bumper is awesome.

Easy one handed access without complicated latches.

.....and the water tank.

post #8 of 27 Old 04-07-2009, 08:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice find. I was waiting to see that bumper for a long time when I had their front bumper installed. It was rumored to be unveiled at SEMA a couple of years ago. That never happened.

I must say, after all the delays, I am not impressed. Isn't the point to remove the plastic crap? I understand it's wrapped up in steel tubes and all, but I'm just not diggin' it.

I was really hoping for a stamped steel bumper like their front. That's what always sets the AEV products apart from the rest. Any Joe can make a tube bumper.
post #9 of 27 Old 04-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Openly Hostile

The plastic does make sense to serve as a water bladder tho.

Jason
post #10 of 27 Old 04-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
I was really hoping for a stamped steel bumper like their front. That's what always sets the AEV products apart from the rest. Any Joe can make a tube bumper.

I would say innovation is what sets them apart. Not stamped steel.

post #11 of 27 Old 04-07-2009, 10:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
I would say innovation is what sets them apart. Not stamped steel.
Whatever. How innovative is a tube bumper?

In all seriousness, I agree that AEV is a leader in innovation. I guess that's why I'm a bit disappointed in this bumper.

The reason I brought up the point about the stamped steel is that AEV is generally one of the few that has deep enough pockets to afford to do it. You have to sell a bunch of bumpers to pay for that kind of tooling which is why you never see that type of manufacturing done by smaller companies.
post #12 of 27 Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Granite Guru

Innovation is certainly AEV's strongsuit, however up to this point all their JK items have had a real "wow" factor in the looks department, and for me this bumper just doesn't have it. And the integrated tire carrier they just about blatantly copied Expedition One's design. I also think the Expedition One Rear Bumper complements the AEV front better than the AEV rear does. I'm eager to see how they price this bumper too, considering the pricing on their other parts is higher than many are willing to pay.
post #13 of 27 Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Rock God

....and Expo 1 copied the Bestop design.

Personally I would like to see more tire carriers work in conjunction with the tail gate and not have to fight with it.

Last edited by Xtremjeepn; 04-13-2009 at 09:58 AM.
post #14 of 27 Old 04-07-2009, 10:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
....ans Expo 1 copied the Bestop design.

Personally I would like to see more tire carriers work in conjunction with the tail gate and not have to fight with it.
I like the ease of tying the carrier to the tailgate, but would worry that I would still crush the gate if I backed into something or caught the tire on a ledge. I'm good at backing into things.
post #15 of 27 Old 04-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

There was a Bestop rear bumper with an integrated tire carrier? I probably could have saved some money getting that one. I don't think anyone knows of this option. I certainly didn't. Which one? I'd like to check it out. Always good to have more options.
post #16 of 27 Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Rock God

Quote:

I don't know if anyone really copied anybody since their are only about three ways to skin this cat.
post #17 of 27 Old 04-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

I don't hate it, but I wouldn't pay the price they are sure to ask for it....and as for the water tank, I think its a good idea, but they better provide a locking cap, with some of the jokers I wheel with, might be washing my hands in something warm and yeller......

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps
post #18 of 27 Old 04-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
There was a Bestop rear bumper with an integrated tire carrier? .
No bumper. But they made the first tire carrier to work directly off the tailgate latch. It was body mounted with tie ins to the roll cage and frame.

Dave at AEV made a comment on that the Bestop tire carrier had a design flaw in the hinge system and that ExpoOne copied the design flaw.

I don't know what it is, but it would be interesting to figure it out.

post #19 of 27 Old 04-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Granite Guru

I'd definitely be interested to hear how they improved upon the design of the integrated tire carrier/tail gate. There's no question the guys at AEV do incredible things, but to me, this just missed the mark.

I posted up a longer version "elsewhere" so I'll just hit the main points here:

Water in the bumper that's only suitable for washing your hands? And you've got to buy a pump to get it out if you don't want to unbolt the holder from the bumper? That's convenient. :thumbsdown:
If clean hands are a priority, when out wheeling, carry some wetnaps nancy. lol Seriously the best use for this they could come up with is you can wash your hands while out on the trail? lol

Since I mentioned Expedition One, a better option for carrying water would be
It's flat, and you can load up to 800lbs of gear onto it, all while carrying 4 gallons of DRINKABLE water. Shown in the pic is the gas version, which is another liquid not recommended for the tank in the bumper.

Sadly that silly looking Olympic Smuggler rear has better ideas. Instead of undrinkable water, in theirs you can store tools, winch line, kilos of coke, whatever. That's way more Expedition worthy. AND their bumper has a rear winch mount, which again makes it more Expedition worthy.

So I really don't feel that a plastic water jug makes it worthy of the E in AEV.

Oh and the tire carrier being offset to the right, not only looks bad, but actually should make visibility WORSE than had it been centered, since when you look over your shoulder to check behind you, the right side of the vehicle is the one you're looking towards more than the left.
post #20 of 27 Old 04-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Rock God

I think that is the Koplin tank and I agree those are pretty practical. The water version is the same just blue.

As for the water containment in the rear bumper, I'm not sure I'd use the space for this purpose but instead I would of thought a sleeve made of plastic tubing for tools like they make for jet ski's would of been more useful. A shammy cloth around the tools and it's rattle free.

If I think about it more I really don't like this idea. Metal bumper would heat the water in the summertime. This definately makes the only use for thewashing hands. I would of said a beer but same issue applies
post #21 of 27 Old 04-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Alec W

I’m not really thinking about drinking water, or washing my hands. I carry a 5 gallon water container for emergencies when I go wheeling and think having it always on-board would save the PITA it is to pack it when I go wheeling. I’ve thought of putting it on the tire carrier but think big containers up there look ugly.

Trust me, if you were stuck in the desert and run out of drinking water hot water from a bumper that may be a bit stale is far better than no water. Likewise when you over heat and need to top off the radiator that water in the bumper is just as good as water from a plastic can.

I looked at my bumper last night and think putting a water bladder in the cavity and holding it in place looks fairly easy. Drill a big hole for the cap and another for a spigot and I don’t have to worry about packing emergency water anymore.
post #22 of 27 Old 04-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Alec W

OK, so after researching bladders and looking at making one, finding a long bladder shaped like a sausage (yes I said sausage ) etc… I found out all sorts of things about truck bed bladders (for traction) and 3000 gallon water bladder tanks, etc. that I didn’t know existed. I read about freezing problems, repairs, baffles for them and the like… and well…

…as a result, my idea is way too much more hassle than my trusty 5 gallon container. I’ll stop the thread hijacking and let you all return to your regularly scheduled AEV plastic bumper with weird looking tubes thread
post #23 of 27 Old 04-08-2009, 01:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
OK, so after researching bladders and looking at making one, finding a long bladder shaped like a sausage (yes I said sausage ) etc… I found out all sorts of things about truck bed bladders (for traction) and 3000 gallon water bladder tanks, etc. that I didn’t know existed. I read about freezing problems, repairs, baffles for them and the like… and well…

…as a result, my idea is way too much more hassle than my trusty 5 gallon container. I’ll stop the thread hijacking and let you all return to your regularly scheduled AEV plastic bumper with weird looking tubes thread
lol
post #24 of 27 Old 04-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Rock God

Itsssss..... interesting.. I mean the look by itself is ok, the spare tire mount reminds me of the expedition 1 bumpers but still ok. The water I can see for true expo travels. But I agree with most, after drooling over Rotorhead's AEV front bumper when he had it, the rear bumper fell short of the mark of what I would expect from AEV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #25 of 27 Old 04-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

OK, I'm chiming in about this new AEV rear bumper. My first impression from Jordans pis were...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Then I took some photos at the jeep booth and opened it and WOW, What a design! Does it match the front, not in the pics. When I saw the bumper in person it clearly looks like it belongs with the front. I like the water can in the rear bumper and that water pump should easly get the water out. I too find it nearly impossible to tear off the plastic water cans. If I owned a JK, I would buy it...some day!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode