New Front Winch Bumper - Benchmark Designs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 03-24-2009, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

New Front Winch Bumper - Benchmark Designs

Hi Guys,

We're just getting into the first production run of these so I wanted to go ahead and show you what we're working on and see what you think.

This bumper is all 3/16" steel construction and fully MIG welded. The tow shackle tabs are a full 1" thick and go through the bumper and mount directly to the factory JK frame.

We added Hi-Lift slots on the underside of the bumper. The slots hold the lifting nose of the jack in position and keep it from sliding around when lifting.

We're planning on offering this bumper in narrow, mid, and full-width. We're also going to look at offering it with some optional tubework on top.
Attached Images

Badass Bumpers, Dual Battery Systems, Rockcrawler Oil Pans and More!
www.benchmarkdesigns.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-25-2009, 05:51 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NorthGAX Send a message via Yahoo to NorthGAX

That looks very nice. I like the looks of it.

I would ask that if you are going to add a hoop for winch protection that you offer at least as an option tabs for additional fog lights. Just my 2 cents.

Love you brother and you will always be my hero!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NorthGAX; 03-25-2009 at 06:52 AM.
post #3 of 26 Old 03-25-2009, 06:15 AM
Granite Guru

That looks great. You are making me re-think my choices on front bumpers. When will they be ready and is there a lower skid plate? I would head towards the full width and is there a cover for the winch spot as I do not need a winch?

1. '10 Rubicon Unlimited
  2. Rock Krawler 3.5 Mid Arm Flex/Bilstein 5100's
  3. Rough Country SS
    4.GDY Duratrac 315/70/17

post #4 of 26 Old 03-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Granite Guru

Here's a few of my thoughts

Make sure the light openings in the bumper fit the factory fogs.

The jack holes need to be symmetrical. Both inboard or both outboard of the shackle tabs. Reinforce the tops of the jack holes so jacking it up slightly off camber does not bend the 3/16 material.

Sandwiching 2 pieces of 3/16 plate together (for the winch mount) is asking for trouble. Road salt will find its way in there to the bare steel and rust it from the inside. You would be better off making the top of the bumper out of 1/4 inch material. That way, the winch load would be more evenly spread across the full width of the bumper and better distributed to the frame rails. You would still need to add a fairlead mount though. I didn't see the back of the bumper so I don't know what kind of reinforcing you have planned for there. You definitely need something at the back of the bumper, under the rear winch bolts, spanning the full width between the frame rails to resist the winch pulling upward on its back 2 bolts.

I think your endcaps still need a little work asthetically. I personally don't care for the way the end plate is beveled back towards the longitudinal centerline of the vehicle. Perpendicular to the bumper face just looks better. On the full width bumpers, you may wish to find a way to narrow the gap between the bumpers and the stock fender flairs. This can be accomplished by swooping the endcaps back and up. This gives improved approach angle while still protecting the fenders from trees.

I'm still waiting for some bumper manufacturer to offer a real hood loop that will protect the radiator in a roll. The difficulty here is that it must be structurally sound AND be removable for removing the grill for maintenance.

I'm glad you decided to attach the shackle tabs to the frame. Hopefully you're bolting it directly to the frame rails and not the plate welded to the frame rails.

Finally, please add a provision for adding tow hooks on top of the bumper. When a simple light tug from a snatch strap is needed, messing with a shackle is too much hassle. Especially if you're standing in 3 feet of 40 degree water.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #5 of 26 Old 03-25-2009, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAX View Post
That looks very nice. I like the looks of it.

I would ask that if you are going to add a hoop for winch protection that you offer at least as an option tabs for additional fog lights. Just my 2 cents.
Definitely!

www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #6 of 26 Old 03-25-2009, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb17 View Post
That looks great. You are making me re-think my choices on front bumpers. When will they be ready and is there a lower skid plate? I would head towards the full width and is there a cover for the winch spot as I do not need a winch?

We're about a month out. We bought a CNC Plasma table to be able to bring some work back in house and need to get that setup. We're working on ideas for a lower skid plate. One of the nice things about this bumper is it works well with or without a winch. If you're not going to run a winch initially, you don't need the fairlead plate and there are only 4 holes on the top of the bumper. Use the front 2 to mount some off-road lights.

www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #7 of 26 Old 03-25-2009, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
Here's a few of my thoughts

Make sure the light openings in the bumper fit the factory fogs.

Definitely going to happen. The factory fogs will sit right inside the front edge of the bumper. They won't stick out where they would get broken.

[/QUOTE]
The jack holes need to be symmetrical. Both inboard or both outboard of the shackle tabs. Reinforce the tops of the jack holes so jacking it up slightly off camber does not bend the 3/16 material.[/QUOTE]

Initially, our thought was to make them symmetrical. However when you look at the mechanism of a Hi Lift, it's not symmetrical. The right side of the jack is a smooth plate, and the left side is where the large mechanism is. By putting the jack slots to the left of the shackle tabs, the Hi Lift mates securely in the slot and up against the shackle tab. The makes for a VERY secure jack location. The jack can't slide out or twist around. Much safer. The lift area inside of the jack slot is heavily reinforced and won't bend.

[/QUOTE]
Sandwiching 2 pieces of 3/16 plate together (for the winch mount) is asking for trouble. Road salt will find its way in there to the bare steel and rust it from the inside. You would still need to add a fairlead mount though.[/QUOTE]

The top plate only serves the purpose of mounting the fairlead. I've seen some Jeeps from the rustbelt and that stuff gets everywhere! We use an industrial powdercoat that is the toughest option available for fighting corrosion. A thin bead of black silicone around the fairlead plate would keep road salt and water out though.

[/QUOTE]
You would be better off making the top of the bumper out of 1/4 inch material. That way, the winch load would be more evenly spread across the full width of the bumper and better distributed to the frame rails. I didn't see the back of the bumper so I don't know what kind of reinforcing you have planned for there. You definitely need something at the back of the bumper, under the rear winch bolts, spanning the full width between the frame rails to resist the winch pulling upward on its back 2 bolts.[/QUOTE]

We're on the same page. There's a substantial amount of bracing and gussets underneath of there!

[/QUOTE]
I think your endcaps still need a little work asthetically. I personally don't care for the way the end plate is beveled back towards the longitudinal centerline of the vehicle. Perpendicular to the bumper face just looks better. On the full width bumpers, you may wish to find a way to narrow the gap between the bumpers and the stock fender flairs. This can be accomplished by swooping the endcaps back and up. This gives improved approach angle while still protecting the fenders from trees.[/QUOTE]

I'll take a look at this.

[/QUOTE]
I'm still waiting for some bumper manufacturer to offer a real hood loop that will protect the radiator in a roll. The difficulty here is that it must be structurally sound AND be removable for removing the grill for maintenance.
[/QUOTE]

I agree. Removable makes it cheaper to ship too.

[/QUOTE]
I'm glad you decided to attach the shackle tabs to the frame. Hopefully you're bolting it directly to the frame rails and not the plate welded to the frame rails. [/QUOTE]

We are using 8 bolts to mount to the frame end cap plates. Every bumper manufacturer I'm aware of uses this method and I've never seen this as a deficiency. Let me know what you think.

[/QUOTE]
Finally, please add a provision for adding tow hooks on top of the bumper. When a simple light tug from a snatch strap is needed, messing with a shackle is too much hassle. Especially if you're standing in 3 feet of 40 degree water.[/QUOTE]

I 100% agree. These will be on there. Thanks for the well thought out comments!

John @ Benchmark

www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #8 of 26 Old 03-25-2009, 10:27 AM

Question Mee To

Yes, looks good to me. Would like to buy front and back bumpers that match. Are you looking at the back end?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spiritree
post #9 of 26 Old 03-25-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Working the design for the rear bumper now. It's going to have a swing-away tire carrier option. And we're looking at the possibility of mounting a winch in it.

www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #10 of 26 Old 03-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Wheeler

Very nice. I'll be looking at the mid-width when it's available. Have you set a price for the base bumper and any options yet?
post #11 of 26 Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Granite Guru

well the first thing i would do is thank you then wait for it to come and install it

07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" RC SPRING LIFT/HYDRO SHOCKS/1"M.O.R.E BL/1" front leveling pucks/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75/HIGH LIFT/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
post #12 of 26 Old 03-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Granite Guru

I like it - functional and simple.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the giant stealth fighter bumper designs and their added weight.

Best, Jon

'69 CJ (sold)
'96 stroked XJ (sold)
'81 Toy Flatbed-d-ded
'09 Rubi Unlimited
post #13 of 26 Old 03-29-2009, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohana fab View Post
I like it - functional and simple.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the giant stealth fighter bumper designs and their added weight.

Best, Jon

We think alike! Not all bumpers need to look like something out of the movie Transformers and cost a grand.

www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #14 of 26 Old 03-31-2009, 05:37 AM
Granite Guru

Do you folks have any pre production pictures of any of these new bumpers on a JK? Any deas of pricing and / or timeframes?

1. '10 Rubicon Unlimited
  2. Rock Krawler 3.5 Mid Arm Flex/Bilstein 5100's
  3. Rough Country SS
    4.GDY Duratrac 315/70/17

post #15 of 26 Old 04-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Wheeler

I've only had my JK for 3 weeks but the bumpers that appeal to me so far have the winch down in the bumper. I think they would interfere with cooling less and keep the weight lower. This is a nice bumper and I think most will appreciate the time and thought that went into it.
post #16 of 26 Old 04-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Rock God

I was gonna suggest that too, maybe use a recessed mount for the winch to get out from infront of the radiator as much as possible.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #17 of 26 Old 04-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Wheeler

The bumper looks nice. I do prefer the full width bumper. I also like the idea of a inset winch mount for better cooling. I do a lot of trailer towing and overlanding.

I have found that for the use I give bumpers with my work the power coating is so thick that a flying rock will crack the power coating easier then paint. This then allows moisture to get in and rust not being seen until it starts to lift the power coating. The servicing is harder to repair the look of the thick power coating.

Frenchie La Chance
Western Adventures 4X4 Driving School & Guide Service
I4WDTA Certified Trainer
Tread Lightly Trainer

760-415-7071
post #18 of 26 Old 04-02-2009, 05:15 AM
Granite Guru

I 'm one of those that prefer winches on top of bumpers.
  1. Easier to respool line to keep it tight.
  2. Dries out faster.
  3. Higher up out of the mud and water.
  4. Protects radiator from deer strikes.
  5. Easier to repair winch when the cable pulls off.
  6. In Michigan, I don't need to worry about overheating. I have 4 different trailers I pull and none has caused overheating.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations

Last edited by Alter Ego; 04-02-2009 at 05:32 AM.
post #19 of 26 Old 04-07-2009, 03:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Is it done yet? How about now? Now?
post #20 of 26 Old 04-07-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It's coming along. I've made a few changes that we're working on now. I'll have to post some pictures soon.

www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #21 of 26 Old 04-22-2009, 02:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Now? Are we there yet?
post #22 of 26 Old 05-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Rock God

What is the status of this bumper?

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #23 of 26 Old 05-24-2009, 12:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Any chance of getting one with a winch guard and a stinger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #24 of 26 Old 06-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmark Designs Inc. View Post
It's coming along. I've made a few changes that we're working on now. I'll have to post some pictures soon.
Any news on this bumper?...

2007 JK Unlimited "X"

TF 3" Kit w/4 Arm Flex Kit, TF HD F & R Adj. Track Bars, TF HD Steering Stabilizer, Yukon 5.13 gears, CenterForce II Clutch, Black Rock Soft 8's 16x8, Cooper Discoverer STT 315/75/16, RR XHD Front w/Stinger, SB XRC Rear w/Carrier, KC 130W Slim Lights w/Windshield Mounts, Xenon Flat Fenders, SB XRC8 Winch
post #25 of 26 Old 06-21-2009, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have 10 of them cut out on the waterjet and 1 formed up, welded and out at powdercoat. I'll post some pictures as soon as it get's back!

Thanks,

John

www.benchmarkdesigns.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode