Rock God

New MTR's at the King of the Hammers

These pics were posted on a local forum:

Sent Via Zip Line Messenger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 03-01-2009, 10:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Is it me, or is the drivers side tires facing one way, and the passenger tires are facing the opposite?
post #3 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 06:06 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Is it me, or is the drivers side tires facing one way, and the passenger tires are facing the opposite?
They are supposed to be that way... the narrow area is supposed to be toward the inside, that's how they were designed & tested the best at least.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #4 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Rock God

Are they on sale yet or just R&D?
post #5 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

certain tire sizes are available. I think the 37x12.5 r17 will be available April 1st.

Sent Via Zip Line Messenger
post #6 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 12:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Maybe it's an optical illusion, but they look to me like a v-tread. Something like a claw or x-terrain.

That's what I was refering to one side looks like it's facing forward, and the other side is facing the other way.
post #7 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Maybe it's an optical illusion, but they look to me like a v-tread. Something like a claw or x-terrain.

That's what I was refering to one side looks like it's facing forward, and the other side is facing the other way.
They do face the opposite way, but most tires do that. It's just not as obvious on other tires as your eyes want to follow that V. But according to testing, it makes no difference how you run them.

Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
post #8 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Granite Guru

Any evidence that the kevlar sidewalls are showing a benefit?

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #9 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Rock God

My buddy @ goodyear says a big improvement and that they haven't been able to cut one on the trail yet! Technically, I think they say 35% improvement. I personally think the old mt/r's had the strongest "streetable" sidewall previously so any improvement will far exceed other radial tires!

Fenders & Rockers -
post #10 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 12:39 PM
JKowners Vendor

A really good friend of mine is a manager at Discount tire out here, he said these are going to be a great tire, he has worked at Discount for quite a while and i value his opinion. He ordered a set for his Ram 2500, hopefully i can check them out next week!

By the way if any of you Colorado guys need tires let me know and i will give you his info, he is a fellow wheeler and takes care of his own kind!

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
post #11 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 02:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prope View Post
They do face the opposite way, but most tires do that. It's just not as obvious on other tires as your eyes want to follow that V. But according to testing, it makes no difference how you run them.
ok, I understand now. Seems like it would be a good idea to offer left and right versions then like some v-tread tires.
post #12 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Rock God

Didn't anyone take picts of these head on? These diagonal pictures are all photogenic and such, but a head on would sure be a nice view too. Goodyear doesn't even post up any on their site.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #13 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 04:25 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

Quote:
ok, I understand now. Seems like it would be a good idea to offer left and right versions then like some v-tread tires.

Thats why I don't really like them. They look directional even though they say they are not. I think directional tires are good, I just like having the option of rotating the tires all around and using my spare without having to shift tires around
post #14 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 04:26 PM
TrailDuty.com

The first time I looked at the tread I didn't like them, but I was talking to some guys at Katemcy, that really know their stuff, that had the opportunity to test these. They said they were up there with Krawlers in terms of traction. The lower part of the sidewall flexes greatly, but the upper part (next to the rim) does not flex anywhere near as much. As a result, things like popped beads, damaged rims, etc, will be minimized.

As much as I've been impressed with KM2's, I'm sorely tempted to try some of these when the 37x12.50x17's come out, which I was told will be in the next week or so.

Although they may look it they are not directional, and supposedly work as well facing either way.
post #15 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
Didn't anyone take picts of these head on? These diagonal pictures are all photogenic and such, but a head on would sure be a nice view too. Goodyear doesn't even post up any on their site.
This is the nearest I've seen to a head on pic, which is certainly close enough to give you the idea:

post #16 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

I bet thjey work really well. The biggest problem with A/t's is they gum up in mud. That picture shows the A/T strip gummed up but the voids are still self cleaning.

The biggest problem with M/T's is they don't have good traction on flat and slick like icy/wet roads. That strip down the middle will certainly help there.

I have also heard the sidewalls are nice as far as hardness.

Still just not for me, at least not yet. They will probably grow on me after a while
post #17 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_LOL View Post
Thats why I don't really like them. They look directional even though they say they are not. I think directional tires are good, I just like having the option of rotating the tires all around and using my spare without having to shift tires around
Since one side points one way and the other backwards, that wouldn't affect rotating the tires.

post #18 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Rock God

Thanks Phil,
I was actually hoping for one with both fronts in view. I just wanted to see how weird they really look. I'll really know in a couple of weeks.

post #19 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 04:38 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm sure they work well. Just imagine how many people on the trail will be asking why one side is pointing one way and the other side is pointing the other.

Whether they work equally well either way or not, I would still like a right and left version. Then you can rotate them side to side and have them facing either way but at least all 4 will still be facing the same direction. I just don't like how they are opposite each other.
post #20 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_LOL View Post
I bet thjey work really well. The biggest problem with A/t's is they gum up in mud. That picture shows the A/T strip gummed up but the voids are still self cleaning.

The biggest problem with M/T's is they don't have good traction on flat and slick like icy/wet roads. That strip down the middle will certainly help there.

I have also heard the sidewalls are nice as far as hardness.

Still just not for me, at least not yet. They will probably grow on me after a while
My KM2's sucked on the ice until I siped'em. I'm thinking I'll sipe these too before I put them on. If you're wondering why decided to go with these, I've sliced the sidewalls of the KM2's twice now. I'm hoping going with Kevlar will help me out with that. Plus it was time for some 35's anyway.

post #21 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 04:43 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
I was actually hoping for one with both fronts in view.
Drink enough so you have double vision then quickly turn your head upside down and squint and you'll get a good idea
post #22 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Drink enough so you have double vision then quickly turn your head upside down and squint and you'll get a good idea
Whoa! And I thought the cops asking me to say the alphabet backwards was tough.

post #23 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 04:47 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
I'm sure they work well. Just imagine how many people on the trail will be asking why one side is pointing one way and the other side is pointing the other.
I'm sure you'll get people saying "You've got your tires on backwards" and other other such things
post #24 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
I'm sure you'll get people saying "You've got your tires on backwards" and other other such things
I'll just blame it on you makin' me drink too much.

post #25 of 51 Old 03-02-2009, 04:56 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
I'll just blame it on you makin' me drink too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode