afe dry-flo filter - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-08-2009, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

afe dry-flo filter

if you hate oiling, afe has a dry flo drop in air filter. mine should be here this week.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17102_1001.htm

2012 ARCTIC
SILVER. 2 DOOR.
IN SERVICE 12/17/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Granite Guru

That filter is an interesting concept but I wouldn't buy one. I don't know anything about the quality, so I can't comment on that. The problem I see is that the filter element hangs too low in the airbox reducing the volume of water the airbox will hold before it sucks water through the filter. If you have a sealed snorkel, this shouldn't be a problem, but I don't - yet. Yes, I HAVE scraped dried liquid mud off the bottom of my oem filter. Too close for comfort.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #3 of 16 Old 02-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Granite Guru

I am considering getting the AFE drop in for two reasons: 1) I like that it is dry and it appears to not be as "open" as the K&N drop in and 2) I dont have to many water obstacles here in So Cal that I would need to worry about sucking water into my engine.

At least it is only 50 bucks, so if I dont like it, it is not too big a deal.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer - Frank Zappa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Rock God

are there any kinds of specs on the efficiency or the dust capacity? I would have got a K&N a long time ago, but I don't like how much dirt they let through, and I think I'd be worried about it with this filter too.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #5 of 16 Old 02-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Granite Guru

I have not seen any anywhere. In fact, I could not even find it on AFE's web site. I ordered it anyway. I will post the info that comes with it when I get it.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer - Frank Zappa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-24-2009, 06:26 PM
-T-
Rock God

I purchased one of these and maybe I read it wrong but you still have to oil the one I received.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by -T- View Post
I purchased one of these and maybe I read it wrong but you still have to oil the one I received.
Me too, I ordered the pro 7 version on Quadratec's website because the site lists it as dry media, well guess what I recieve it and it looks oiled, I contact AFE and they confirm that the Pro 7 is oiled and Q-tec's website has it listed wrong.

13 2dr bright white Ruby
Poison Spyder hood louver
Rugged Ridge hood latches
A crap load more to buy
post #8 of 16 Old 02-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Granite Guru

Product Details:
High filtration efficiency
High performance
High flow
Longer service life
Easy-to-service dry media
Tall round open pleats
Multi-layer progressive media
Oil free dry media
Limited lifetime warranty

I dont know if this is the same one you ordered, but if it is oiled, it is going back.

Last edited by MarcM; 02-24-2009 at 06:47 PM.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-24-2009, 06:58 PM
-T-
Rock God

That's the one I received and ordered, you need to oil it. I was somewhat perturbed as I wanted one I didnt have to do that too. Oh well it's better then the stock maxi-pad that the JK comes with.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Granite Guru

Here is the oily drop in:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17102_1002.htm

Here be the dry:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/17102_1001.htm

post #11 of 16 Old 02-24-2009, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

received mine this week. took awhile. ships from CA. appears to be a quality piece. cleaning will be a breeze. you can vaccum it. or use the cleaning kit. i did not get a chance yet to install it. PA weather and being lazy.
here is how to clean http://www.afefilters.com/51cleaning.pdf

2012 ARCTIC
SILVER. 2 DOOR.
IN SERVICE 12/17/11

Last edited by BLACK JK; 02-24-2009 at 10:54 PM.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

ok. installed it this morning. was really impressed with the seal on it. that go's around the air box. hardest part was the front air box clip facing the grille. tight spot.
also switched to synthetic oil this morning.

2012 ARCTIC
SILVER. 2 DOOR.
IN SERVICE 12/17/11
post #13 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Rock God

so it seems to seal around the edge of the box pretty good? That was one of my concerns with an aftermarket filter. Do you feel any gain in performance? Does it make any more noise than stock?

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #14 of 16 Old 02-25-2009, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
so it seems to seal around the edge of the box pretty good? That was one of my concerns with an aftermarket filter. Do you feel any gain in performance? Does it make any more noise than stock?
a REALLY GOOD SEAL! no noise. too early to tell. just drove it to work today.

2012 ARCTIC
SILVER. 2 DOOR.
IN SERVICE 12/17/11
post #15 of 16 Old 03-05-2009, 03:06 AM
Granite Guru

Mine showed up today. Looks like a quality product. The bottom of the filter sits about an inch from the bottom of the air box. I did not see any dried mud in my air box, but there was quite a bit of Mojave dust. I have not driven with it in yet.

post #16 of 16 Old 06-21-2009, 05:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Anyone have an update on this filter?

I am interested in buying one but what do you guys think of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode