Tire Carrier - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-14-2008, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Tire Carrier

I also found this tire carrier kit for those who can't afford $1000 for a ready made rear bumper and tire carrier. Just order a $400-500 bumper and add this (assuming you have welding capability). I'm looking for a suitable rear bumper now............

http://emsoffroad.com/shop/index.php...a76fd6be69be2b

NO BAILOUT FOR CHRYSLER........LET THE TERMINAL PATIENT DIE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Rock God

I've been kicking around other ideas too. I like the simple bumpers like bluetorch puts out, but they don't have any for the JK. Adding a homemade tirecarrier would be pretty simple after that.

BIG RED JEEP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Granite Guru

I'm really impressed with this design. I don't think anybody really needs 10 gallons of gas on the trail, but this would be a great way to carry 10 gallons of fresh water.

http://www.orfab.com/tirecarrier.htm
post #4 of 14 Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBROCUN View Post
I'm really impressed with this design. I don't think anybody really needs 10 gallons of gas on the trail, but this would be a great way to carry 10 gallons of fresh water.

or 5 gallons of margaritas...

performance mods: 3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm lift, ProComp MX-6 shocks, 35 x 12.50 Super Swamper SSRs, 17x8.5" Procomp 9001s in Knight Chrome with 4.5" backspace, Bulldog Fab rear bumper with tire carrier, Smittybilt XRC front bumper, cooltech muffler relocate

appearance mods: budget grille mod, painted A/C rings, made side markers into blinkers, removed "Jeep" front bling.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-23-2009, 07:11 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
I also found this tire carrier kit for those who can't afford $1000 for a ready made rear bumper and tire carrier. Just order a $400-500 bumper and add this (assuming you have welding capability). I'm looking for a suitable rear bumper now............

Not a biggie as long as there is room to squeeze in some more holes, but I noticed the plate isn't drilled for 5 on 5 lug pattern.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-23-2009, 07:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Good find. I book marked it. I'm also thinking about going this route. Looks pretty complete minus the steel.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-23-2009, 07:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernjeeper View Post
isnt that tire carrier for a TJ tho?
The link is just for the hardware. You gotta build your own carrier.

You would need a tire plate for 5 on 5 though.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post

Thanks for the post..Skibum...this is what i need..i will be making my own custom rear bumper soon.i was thinking about the rear tire mount..i have years of welding school to put to use.thanks again..
post #9 of 14 Old 01-24-2009, 03:59 AM
Granite Guru

Here's the kit we used to make my carrier. It's got a T handle for the closure and a wheel plate with the proper bolt spacing.
http://www.atozfabrication.com/store...cat=274&page=1

07 Rubi Unlimited , 4.5 clayton longarm, 37" Maxxis treps, AtoZ fabrication, Genright, and Polyperformance
post #10 of 14 Old 04-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Granite Guru

KMA Fabrication has a easy solution for the JK's I make a lasered piece of aluminium that fits the existing bolt patteren on the tire carrier that will lift your stock carrier up enough to run 35's. Check out our web site for more info.
Attached Images

KMA Fabrication

559-493-8314
Build it right or Kiss My Axle
post #11 of 14 Old 04-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBROCUN View Post

How strong is the body where it mounts? I like the idea of attaching the weight to the bumper rather than the body. I am worried that after 5 years of dirt roads with a big tire and 80 pounds of water and fuel that the body would give up and fall apart. Other than that I like it, all it needs is a place for a high lift, a shovel, and a chain saw.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJK View Post
How strong is the body where it mounts? I like the idea of attaching the weight to the bumper rather than the body. I am worried that after 5 years of dirt roads with a big tire and 80 pounds of water and fuel that the body would give up and fall apart. Other than that I like it, all it needs is a place for a high lift, a shovel, and a chain saw.
it has additional bracing inside the tailgate. i don't have one, but two of our members do. the or fab ones are STURDY.

performance mods: 3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm lift, ProComp MX-6 shocks, 35 x 12.50 Super Swamper SSRs, 17x8.5" Procomp 9001s in Knight Chrome with 4.5" backspace, Bulldog Fab rear bumper with tire carrier, Smittybilt XRC front bumper, cooltech muffler relocate

appearance mods: budget grille mod, painted A/C rings, made side markers into blinkers, removed "Jeep" front bling.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJK View Post
It's really hard to find a bumper mounted carrier that does not vibrate. If all you have locating the carrier is a hinge and a latch you have a plane that the tire can rotate on. It's only a matter of time before something fails. There's a thread on Pirate about how many of these spindle-type hinges fail. it's a lot more than I would have thought. I had a tire carrier fall off because the hinge snapped in half.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Wheeler

Thats the kit I used- and will use it again. EMS has my vote for everything I cant make myself, or have time for...

The spidle was great, it is a little smaller diameter than anything else I could find, it fit into 1.75 DOM so I didnt have to peice in the bumper around the spindle. And I couldnt make the recovery, D-ring attachments in my garage for what they sell them for...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode