Rear Bumper Ideas? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to stevedolce Send a message via Skype™ to stevedolce
Rear Bumper Ideas?

ok.i put on a rugged ridge stubby bumper & looking for something for back..i'd like a stubby w/D rings..i'm not that much of a fan of the rugged ridge rear products. any ideas? it needs to fit an 08 JK wrangler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Granite Guru

Don't know if your set on the rear bumper being a "stubby," but here's what I got for mine...
http://www.teraflex.biz/productImage...%20bumper2.jpg
post #3 of 28 Old 03-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedolce View Post
ok.i put on a rugged ridge stubby bumper & looking for something for back..i'd like a stubby w/D rings..i'm not that much of a fan of the rugged ridge rear products.
1. Thanks for buying the front!

2. Anything specifically that doesn't work for you on the XHD rear? We're pretty happy with it, but if there's room for improvement I'd love to hear it. I realize it isn't a stubby, but we wanted to maintain the integrated look that the OE rear has.
post #4 of 28 Old 03-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Wheeler

Just another option...stubby or full width..

http://www.shrockworks.com/Jeep-JK-T...-pr-16222.html

Nick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Design/Proto Fab

"You can please some of the people all of the time,
or you can please all of the people some of the time.
But you can't please all of the people all of the time."
post #5 of 28 Old 03-13-2008, 01:38 PM
JR
Rock God

I think that shrockworks stubby is your best bet.

One of my rally sweep crew people runs their front bumper and sidebars on his Nissan frontier, they're products are pretty nice.

Jason from RJR Off-Road

coupon code = JKOWNERS

Last edited by JR; 03-13-2008 at 01:40 PM.
post #6 of 28 Old 03-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Granite Guru

Along the same price is the LOD but with a tire carrier for... well last year it was 680.00 I don't know if it still is. but it looks the same as the Schrockworks rear bumper.
post #7 of 28 Old 03-13-2008, 02:48 PM
gcg

I'm running the Rock Hard rear bumper and like it quite a bit. It's 1/4" and has a very stout axle with greasable bearing for the tire carrier. It also uses a latch much like those in a car door to secure the tire carrier.
post #8 of 28 Old 03-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Wheeler

Hey Dave, I love the products but I think a lot of us are trying to get away from the low flat look of the oem stuff. Thanks
Bad Day
post #9 of 28 Old 03-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-rog View Post
Along the same price is the LOD but with a tire carrier for... well last year it was 680.00 I don't know if it still is. but it looks the same as the Schrockworks rear bumper.
As far as I have seen they don't have a STUBBY like he said he was looking for.

Nick

Design/Proto Fab

"You can please some of the people all of the time,
or you can please all of the people some of the time.
But you can't please all of the people all of the time."
post #10 of 28 Old 03-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Granite Guru

Here's another option to throw out there:

It's a stubby design that also wraps forward to the edge of the flares for corner protection.

We're probably looking realistically about 6-8 weeks out before these are in stock but we're very close.

The tire carrier system is fully modular, meaning the tire carrier can be added to the bumper at a later date. Our hinge bolts in to the bumper.

Here are some more pictures with and without the tire carrier. Please note our latch was 90% complete when these pictures were taken. We will have some form of a grip or handle, and it will obviously be powdercoated rather than bare steel.

Without tire carrier, no hinge

Without tire carrier, with hinge bolted in place (showing how it can easily be added)

Please visit www.redrockfab.com for more information

Any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by Red Rock 4x4; 03-31-2008 at 11:55 AM.
post #11 of 28 Old 03-27-2008, 02:55 PM
JR
Rock God

I saw that rear winch mount at EJS, very slick!

Jason from RJR Off-Road

coupon code = JKOWNERS
post #12 of 28 Old 03-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Granite Guru

Thank you!

FYI we do plan to offer the bumpers with or without winch cutout as we realize many of our customers have no interest in running a rear winch.

post #13 of 28 Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Rock God

so where does the rear winch mount? very interesting....

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #14 of 28 Old 03-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Granite Guru

Where the muffler used to be

The winch mount is 90% complete here. Eventually there will be an additional fairlead on the winch mount itself, as well as one on the bumper, but we weren't able to get those completed before heading off to EJS.

We are also offering a simple bolt on muffler relocation kit:

By packaging our rear bumper, exhaust kit, and rear winch mount you have everything you need.

We're still working out final details on the exhaust and rear winch mount but we're very close. We likely won't finish these items until the rear bumpers and tire carriers are in stock ready to ship as that's our primary focus for now, but it won't take long to wrap these up from there.

Last edited by Red Rock 4x4; 03-31-2008 at 12:03 PM.
post #15 of 28 Old 03-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

will you be selling (or be willing to sell) just the tailpipe section without the muffler?
post #16 of 28 Old 03-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Rock God

all i gotta say is you better make the exhaust for the 2 door as well! I like the rear mount winch idea. may never use it but there will be that one time...

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #17 of 28 Old 03-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Wheeler

EEk that rear winch hangs down lower then the stock muffler does. Wasn't relocating the muffler in the first place to keep it off the ground? I would assume theres a skid in the plans for this? I like the idea btw good work.
post #18 of 28 Old 03-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_LOL View Post
will you be selling (or be willing to sell) just the tailpipe section without the muffler?
Not at this time. We're purchasing these in bulk basically ordering 10 pipes, 10 mufflers, and 10 sets of clamps.

If we were to start selling pieces individually it would throw our inventory off, and we like the idea of offering kits rather than components.

The tailpipe is where the majority of our cost is anyhow. We're really not adding too much into the price for the muffler and clamps.

This may change later on, but for the immediate future we don't have any plans to break the kits up.

post #19 of 28 Old 03-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerm View Post
all i gotta say is you better make the exhaust for the 2 door as well! I like the rear mount winch idea. may never use it but there will be that one time...
We just need a 2 door to work on. If anyone in the Denver, CO area would like to lend out their 2 door for Kelly to do some prototype work on let us know. This is definitely something we want to bring to market, as well as 2 door rockers.

post #20 of 28 Old 03-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyMtnRubicon View Post
EEk that rear winch hangs down lower then the stock muffler does.
Actually it doesn't. From the rear of the vehicle you can't really see Kelly's winch at all. It's more so the angle I shot the photos from.

Regardless there are ways to gain more ground clearance. The bracket pictured is actually spaced down 1" as Kelly isn't running a body lift (the spacer is included in our kit). If you add a 1" body lift you can move the mounting bracket up 1".

Aside from that it's the dimple in the floor board for the stock trunk that's limiting us. If you cut that out, you can fabricate a mount to raise the winch considerably. We're not going to offer a production kit based on that at this time as we don't think many of our customers will be willing to cut the floor, but it's something that can and has been done.

Quote:
Wasn't relocating the muffler in the first place to keep it off the ground?
That certainly was the main reasoning. Customers who have no interest in the rear winch mount still gain a lot of clearance with our exhaust kit.

Quote:
I would assume theres a skid in the plans for this?
There is, that's what the side bolt holes on the bracket you can see are for. The bracket is designed to accommodate full size and short drum winches, we'll likely have 2 skid plates one for short drums and one for full size winches.

Quote:
I like the idea btw good work.
Thank you, and we appreciate the feedback!

post #21 of 28 Old 03-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Rock God

I like the LOD

What do you think?
See my Jeep in Action @ http://www.aaof.us/jeep.htm

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #22 of 28 Old 08-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rock 4x4 View Post
Here's another option to throw out there:

It's a stubby design that also wraps forward to the edge of the flares for corner protection.

We're probably looking realistically about 6-8 weeks out before these are in stock but we're very close.

The tire carrier system is fully modular, meaning the tire carrier can be added to the bumper at a later date. Our hinge bolts in to the bumper.

Here are some more pictures with and without the tire carrier. Please note our latch was 90% complete when these pictures were taken. We will have some form of a grip or handle, and it will obviously be powdercoated rather than bare steel.

Without tire carrier, no hinge

Without tire carrier, with hinge bolted in place (showing how it can easily be added)

Please visit www.redrockfab.com for more information

Any questions feel free to ask.
Ordered mine about 3 weeks ago... looking forward to getting it in September!

post #23 of 28 Old 08-25-2008, 01:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Ordered mine about 3 weeks ago... looking forward to getting it in September!

you suck....
post #24 of 28 Old 08-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
you suck....

post #25 of 28 Old 08-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Banned

I'm gonna go w/ this one (as of now - I have time to think about it):
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode