JKOwners Forum banner

I dont know what to do!? i feel sick to the stomach....

16K views 125 replies 46 participants last post by  Fklein6768 
#1 · (Edited)
so i have the death wobble......

got off the phone with the Jeep shop $4000 estimate to fix my jeep, he says every thing needs to be replaced. i got so sick by the prices i couldnt even hear what he was saying anymore. 1200 control arms,208, 40, front ball 975, 330, 175, 150, 565. . . .for this for that.

10 months ago they fixed my jeep that had a shimmy. now this. i cant pay that. 10 months ago i replaced things and had to get new tires... $3000 total.

1)New front Track Bar
2)Replaced Steering Stablizer
3)Replaced Axe Seals

i dont know what to do. i dont have the money to do this. i have to pick it up and drive it like it is. if i hit a bump under 30 it goes into a shake and i have to stop.

I know i bought a jeep with a lift and this is my fault but i need to just get rid of this thing and get a normal car. I never had these problems with my f150 or my mustang. I am a first time jeep owner and its just not for me.

See less See more
#4 ·
Not to be a jerk but it is time to start learning how to work on your Jeep. The Ball Joints are not hard to do. Your front steering is not hard either with the right kit. The instructions will walk your through it. Also get involved with a good jeep club and...IF you feed them and beer them they will come. Call Rebel offroad, River City offroad, Just Jeep Gear.com, or Krawl Offroad.... to set you up with the parts. You can easily cut that cost in half by doing it yourself.Also you will more than likely upgrade your rig in a big way. You will also get to know your jeep which is important if you are ever out on a trail and break.

Sorry for the tough love but that is what I would do and did.

#6 ·
I have worked on cars before. just busy at work and dont have a garage. i will have to do this because i cant afford otherwise. This has become a nightmare. And another thing. i am not an offroading guy, meaning i dont set it up and go off roading. I do go off road that any SUV could handle when i go camping. I just liked the set up and look of the Jeep, i dont abuse it like you guys do or like i did drag racing my mustang.

#5 ·
Here's a thought:

It's a jeep, not a tank. Stop beating the shit out of it and it might treat you better. If you can't afford to wheel it like you stole it, might be time to stop doing that. Ask anyone who has wheeled with me how often they see me. It ain't very - because I can't be dumping cash into my Jeep every time I break something. I typically wheel like a ***** for the same reason stated above. Sure, I would love to be rolling on 40's with Dana 60 axles and a 6.1L hemi or even a diesel 4banger under there, but I can't afford that kinda shit, so I don't try to wheel like I have them.

#9 ·
... $4000 estimate to fix my jeep, he says every thing needs to be replaced. i got so sick by the prices i couldnt even hear what he was saying anymore. 1200 control arms,208, 40, front ball 975, 330, 175, 150, 565. . . .for this for that.

10 months ago they fixed my jeep that had a shimmy. now this. i cant pay that. 10 months ago i replaced things and had to get new tires... $3000 total.

i dont know what to do. i dont have the money to do this. i have to pick it up and drive it like it is. if i hit a bump under 30 it goes into a shake and i have to stop.
... i need to just get rid of this thing and get a normal car. I never had these problems with my f150 or my mustang. I am a first time jeep owner and its just not for me.
This part is pretty much in your control to remedy and to do it for much less... probably less than half of what they've "estimated". Consider taking it back to stock if you have to. Consider all the various suspension systems and parts that people have for sale. JKO, CL, etc. Even if you're not a seasoned mechanic and even if you don't have all the necessary tools, you can always borrow tools, rent tools, and even have an instal party to get this thing fixed and fixed right. The worst is that you've busted a few knuckles and paid for some pizza and beer. On the plus side... you've made some friends, correctly fixed the issue(s), and gained some knowledge. I'm still not at all convinced that your entire system needs to be replaced anyway.

THIS however is the portion of what you wrote that I would be more concerned with. Yep... Jeeps are definitely not for everybody. And I have seen plenty of Jeeps up for sale just because of the dreaded DW. In some instances it can take days or even weeks to begin to feel safe again. The experience can be so psychologically frightening that an owner will simply throw the keys to the first used car-dealer they see and say "**** THIS!". That's the issue that I think you need to address. If a Jeep with DW isn't ( understandably) for you than that's one thing, but if a Jeep that has been fixed properly and handles safely STILL isn't for you then yea... I would look at just letting go of it and move on.

#13 ·
i am down for the work to get this fixed. Then sell it. Having this problem come back once a year when i don’t go off roading costing me a lot of money is not worth it to me. I KNOW ITS MY FAULT. I am not blaming the Jeep brand. I have just lifted trucks, lowered sports cars, and modded bikes. I have never had such problems with other vehicles. Jeep also falls on its face and has no power. I have had every vehicle known to man and I just am not a Jeep guy, ive learned that the hard way.

How much can i sell a Jeep with a DW problem, how much under KBB compaired to one that does not have the problem.?

Cool. Just keep believing that because your jeep doesn't often see trails, it's completely unpossible for it to break. Ever. That'll make everything all better.

Why bother your FIL with this? He's got better shit to do, I'm sure. Why would you not begin going thru it on your own and call him when you have it nailed down and just need an extra pair of hands to get it sorted?

:nono:
are you the forum doucebag? every forum has one, pretty sure its you

This

and this.

It's amazing what a good group of people with a little wrenching experience, a common interest and a genuine desire to help others can accomplish. The beer (and/or food) helps too lol.

Also get another opinion. It just doesn't seem reasonable you should have to throw everything away and start over again. Best of luck with the Jeep and hope it works out for you.
Thanks. The new year is starting out fun.....

#10 ·
Cool. Just keep believing that because your jeep doesn't often see trails, it's completely unpossible for it to break. Ever. That'll make everything all better.

Why bother your FIL with this? He's got better shit to do, I'm sure. Why would you not begin going thru it on your own and call him when you have it nailed down and just need an extra pair of hands to get it sorted?

:nono:

#12 ·
I agree, either take it back to stock with take-off parts from CL, forums, etc...I sold most of suspension parts pretty damn cheap.

- OR -

Bust a knuckle, find some friends, get dirty and replace the parts you listed above by yourself and keep it.

I'm on Jeep #3, had the DW on Jeep #2 and just couldn't shake it...Jeep nor the offroad shop.

Another solution: Don't drive 30 MPH. Drive 27 or 33 MPH, or gun it.

#15 ·
yea, thats what i do now. just drive fast and i dont have the problem

#14 ·
I live on the other side of Baltimore on Odenton and could help you go over all your steering on a weekend if you would like.

#16 ·
Relax. It will work out. What dealer did you got to? Adams Jeep is in Aberdeen, not far from Parkville. They have a great rep and do all kinds of lifts, etc. There are also tons and tons of Jeepers in your area. Find a local club and reach out for some help.

What lift do you have? Take some pics of the front suspension parts from a few angles and post them here.

I'm in Maryland, but a bit far to come take a look or I would. Just to give you and idea, you could replace almost all of your front end components with much better quality stuff for around $2000 doing it yourself and I doubt you need everything. You could probably buy every tool to do it with for less than $200.

#26 ·
yes, Adams Jeep in Aberdeen....

Lift in Singature. When i attempt to fix this issue i will be sure to post pictures.

You may get differing opinions but I wouldn't allow myself to take a significantly hard hit on the selling price. I would disclose that there is a handling problem but I don't know that I would come down too much on the kbb value. You may want to realistically knock off a couple grand because I honestly think that it won't take more than that for someone to fix it.... even less if someone wants to take it back to stock specs. I personally would try to fix this problem even if I decided that I wanted out of it altogether. That way you could stand firm on a higher asking price.

IDK... just me personally, I will NOT sell something that is problematic, or that I feel is taking advantage of the buyer... I don't care if it's a vehicle, an appliance... anything! I want to treat the potential buyer in the same way that I would want them to treat me. That doesn't mean disclosing every little thing about what you didn't like about the product, but at the very least... being honest about any major issues, safety issues, etc. I don't screw people... period. Not ethical nor responsible to take advantage of someone in that way... especially regarding something related to safety.
i agree, i dont want to sell something with problems. if i did i would state the problems and not hid it. dont want to kill someone.

I dont know much a bout much so i dont give to much tech advice but every one seems to think that a steering stablizer is just a bandaid and does not fix the prob but if it gives you enough time to fix the problems one at a time... seems like a damn good bandaid...if you replaced it 10 months ago and maby you could get 6-8 out of another one to give you some time.

Just a thoght.
i have them replacing what they did the first time since its under warrenty and thats it. I HOPE the steering stablizer buys me some time but i wont find out until later.

If you are saying you can punch through the DW, then I would suspect you don't have DW at all. DW will require you to come to a complete stop to get it to end. You might have something as simple as tires out of balance.

As for trusting and believing in your jeep after DW, it took me a good two months before I would do 65 on the highway again.
can punch through it. if i make it to 40mph i dont have to worry about it. if it happens i do have to come to a stop.

From my experience on a TJ with DW the steering stabilizer does not work, it may decrease it, but won't rid the vehicle of it.

As for selling it, I would disclose any issue there are with it unless you are trading it in on another vehicle, then it becomes the dealers responsibility...they will typically road test the vehicle any way. I certainly would not take a hit on your selling price, it's bound to be an easy fix and if the new buyer wanted to go back to stock the current parts can be sold to compensate for the purchase of OE parts.
good point.

Maybe someone mentioned it but is the trackbar mounting holes wallowed out any?
Does the bolt fit snuggly in the holes for the track bar?
sent using super pulsar technology
this i hope they will fix today with the lifetime warrenty on the work they have completed before.

Start simple and swap the tires around and get them rebalanced.
this may have been the start of it again when i had my tires rotated. not 100% sure though.

#17 ·
You may get differing opinions but I wouldn't allow myself to take a significantly hard hit on the selling price. I would disclose that there is a handling problem but I don't know that I would come down too much on the kbb value. You may want to realistically knock off a couple grand because I honestly think that it won't take more than that for someone to fix it.... even less if someone wants to take it back to stock specs. I personally would try to fix this problem even if I decided that I wanted out of it altogether. That way you could stand firm on a higher asking price.

IDK... just me personally, I will NOT sell something that is problematic, or that I feel is taking advantage of the buyer... I don't care if it's a vehicle, an appliance... anything! I want to treat the potential buyer in the same way that I would want them to treat me. That doesn't mean disclosing every little thing about what you didn't like about the product, but at the very least... being honest about any major issues, safety issues, etc. I don't screw people... period. Not ethical nor responsible to take advantage of someone in that way... especially regarding something related to safety.

#18 ·
I dont know much a bout much so i dont give to much tech advice but every one seems to think that a steering stablizer is just a bandaid and does not fix the prob but if it gives you enough time to fix the problems one at a time... seems like a damn good bandaid...if you replaced it 10 months ago and maby you could get 6-8 out of another one to give you some time.

Just a thoght.

#20 ·
From my experience on a TJ with DW the steering stabilizer does not work, it may decrease it, but won't rid the vehicle of it.

As for selling it, I would disclose any issue there are with it unless you are trading it in on another vehicle, then it becomes the dealers responsibility...they will typically road test the vehicle any way. I certainly would not take a hit on your selling price, it's bound to be an easy fix and if the new buyer wanted to go back to stock the current parts can be sold to compensate for the purchase of OE parts.

#24 ·
Death wobble is nothing special. All solid axle front ends have the ability to produce this unfortunate issue. As stated, Planman's guide is good stuff, read it. The solution is easier than you might think, but run through ALL the steps, no matter what you think.

4k to fix death wobble? I don't care what they install, make better, whatever..... these guys don't use lube and are planning to anally rape you.... HARD! They've apparently done it to you before and know you like what they stuck into you, otherwise, you'd have not gone back. On top of that, this shop is full of people that have no clue as to what they are doing.... this build sheet they produced has nothing to do with death wobble other then they will replace almost every part that might cause it. There is no solution here, just a hope that shit will stick if enough cash is thrown at the problem. The irony will be in the fact that you might still have the DW after all is said and done, because those parts don't cover every possible problem area, as Planman's document will point out.

Then again.... you might want to just sell the Jeep and buy something more appropriate. Hummers have IFS and will not suffer from a DW issue, Chevy trucks have IFS, Toyota trucks have IFS.... the list is long.

#27 ·
I want to fix it then sell it. It just not for me. even if it didnt have this problem it doesnt have enough power for me. it falls on its face. This is my first V6, i am used to driving V8s only. F150, Mustang, Camaro, and Ninja 1000R. I go camping and light off road nothing i would need a Jeep for over a 4X4 truck.

Before I left for Afghanistan, I lived in MD...there are quite a few great guys in the area that will give you a hand. PM me your info and I will pass it on to a couple of them that would be glad to lend a hand. They have wrenching parties all the time so it wouldn't be anything for them to take a look at your jeep with you.
Thanks for the help. I will contact you and others when i get some time i can dedicate to this. I would not want to waste anyones time.

#25 ·
Before I left for Afghanistan, I lived in MD...there are quite a few great guys in the area that will give you a hand. PM me your info and I will pass it on to a couple of them that would be glad to lend a hand. They have wrenching parties all the time so it wouldn't be anything for them to take a look at your jeep with you.

#28 ·
Soooo. Almost a full calender year later you still have the same issues you posted a year ago and you still dont think you want to be a jeep owner ?

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67156

Meh... Ill check back in 2014

(also, did you remember to remove any contraband smuggled in one of the tires after the smuggling thread ? That would cause DW )

#30 ·
yea, i guess i didnt learn my leason last time. I wont own a Jeep in 2014

you lost me on the smuggling thread.....

#32 · (Edited)
i was told on the phone that they would fix what they installed last time that has a life time warrenty. I drove there to get my Jeep and there is a little hand writen note that says Parts will be here Monday 1-7-13. So I just emailed them and will call them tomorrow morning....WTF if they called me and told me that I would have just left my Jeep there instead of driving 45 minutes there and back out of my way

done by them last time: New front Track Bar, Replaced Steering Stablizer,Replaced Axe Seals

#34 ·
Holy shit!! Even with labor on some of those line items... WOW!!

What kind of ball joints and shocks fetch that much coin installed?? Hope they were at leat Pro-Steer bj's.

And a SS to fix DW... man sounds like they use NO lube on the hiney-end. :shaking:

#37 ·
Holy crap! I agree that a jeep is not for you. Death wobble is not that bad. I wish I was closer, I would come over and fix that shit for free. I enjoy working on my junk, its what I do. The dealership ripped you a new one for sure. I hope you didn't get pregnant from that *******. I seriously only see about $600 in parts and 4 hrs of easy labor. I would fix that shit in a gravel driveway during a blizzard before I paid that much money.

#38 ·
I didnt PAY THIS! it was an estimate. I wish i had someone to help me too.

#39 ·
So you really got raped the last time and they really want to rape you even harder this time, actually they want to make a snuff film out of this.

No DW is worth that much money. Shit if I wasn't in Korea you could buy me a plane ticket and I'd help you track it down and fix it just because, and a plane ticket from Korea plus parts still wouldn't cost that much.

#40 · (Edited)
Front sway links $100
Shocks $75ish each shock
Ball joints -250/side
RK LCA front $300
RK LCA rear $300
RK UCA - $250
Mopar TRE @ pitman $40.00
RK Rear sway links $90
RK C gussets - $30

Even with labor, you're getting pumped in the pooper. Also, sounds like its just the bushings on yr CA's so that might save you some coin there.

Edit: just noticed this is just for parts without labor. If you move forward with this, yer gonna get rape raped.

#82 ·
I have a 3.5 lift 35 tires on a 08 JK...... Questions:

I am going over my Jeep tomorrow and will order what i need so hopefully i will have it by next weekend to install

Front sway links $100 -can i replace any sway links mine are disconnects from my rubicon express lift kit, the pin is just gone on one of them. Could i just replace the pin?
http://imageshack.us/a/img547/7863/p1030625.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img690/6962/p1030626t.jpg

Front Shocks $75ish each shock -recommendations?

Ball joints -250/side - 2 upper and 2 lower from Synergy PPM-8009-12

Mopar TRE @ pitman $40.00- recommendations?

#42 ·
looks like i have to become a friendly person to someone that knows what they are doing here in MD. I am going to do what i can this weekend using the guide you guys provided to try and figure out the cause

#44 ·
HOLY SHIT! Thats some steeeeep pricing. I live like 10-15 mins from you. I'd be willing to give ya hand with anything and go over your front end with ya.. have you torqued everything down right?

#50 ·
i would love for someone to help me go over the front end with me to learn the problem. I just have basic mechanic tools. I usually go up to my furture wifes parents house to use her dads man tools. if i had to build a house i have the tools for that but not for auto.

#46 ·
You're such a dick Dan, but you make me laugh.

OP, I hope you are able to get the needed help and get this sorted out. From the sounds of it you ARE going to sell your Jeep after you fix it. Thanks for not wanting to put someone in a dangerous situation. I guess I can't blame you for wanting out of a Jeep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.