JKOwners Forum banner

6 pak shocks

19K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  TRD 
#1 ·
Anyone running metal cloak 6 pak shocks. Trying to decide between those and coil overs. The only advantage I can see to coilovers is the ride height adjustability but don't think that is worth almost 2 grand.

#3 ·
Who Dey! Been a fan since Kenny was throwing the ball.

6 pack shocks are for someone that wants lots of travel from minimal lift and they get the job done. This is really the only reason to pick this shock. They also cost roughly the same as a 2.0 coil over when you factor conventional coils in the total package.

There really is no comparing the two shocks and what you are going to do with your rig should tell you which way to go.

You can get a set of 4, 12" 2.0 dual rate coil overs for just over $2k. No brackets. The 6 pack coil/shock combo is $2250 and includes brackets.

#4 ·
Installed a 2.5" short arm Rock Krawler kit in a friends 14' JKUR with the 6 pack shocks about 2 years ago, his JK will flex just as well as my Teraflex long arm JK with Bilsteins. He wheels it a couple times a year and drives it daily. Hasn't said anything negative. Personally, I'd splurge on coil-overs and related components if you do a lot of harder off roading.

#5 ·
Where are you seeing all four coil overs for 2k. The six pak shock upgrade is 1800. The cheapest complete coil over system I have found is 3600. So I will be running d60's with 5.38 and 40's what would the advantages of coil overs be because the 6 pak gives the same travel as a coil over?

#7 ·
Filtymotorsports. King 2.0 w/ reservoir $508.95 a corner.

That said, you still have figure out and buy/have fabbed mounts and if you don't know how to weld, you are paying shop rates. For the non DIYer (welder), that's where IMO the price separates the two in the cost only equation. Or, you are buying the generically valved and springed $3600 EVO bolt on kit. It's probably not that bad ("bad" is relative to personalized c/o setup) - one of the JKO guys near me has and loves it (but he's only comparing to his past coils and shocks) - but most of the more experienced coilover people will (correctly) tell you that you can get so much more out of your coilover setup if you are willing to put the testing time into your own setup.

As far as "what would be the advantages", I'll turn it around, what are your goals with your jeep?

#6 · (Edited)
I got the 6 pack price off the metal cloak website listed at $2249. Where are you getting it for $1800? I can buy a set of 4 12" travel 2.0 dual rate coil overs everyday for just over $2k. just add some towers and some lower shock brackets which can be had for a couple hundred from several fabrication parts suppliers. Your getting ripped off buying a kit. Adjustability is the best thing about running coil overs with a better ability to run and tune a true dual rate set up and dial in your ride height. A coil over set up will also weigh less then a conventional coil and 6 pack shock set up. As far as the 6 pack giving the same amount of travel as a coil over depends on your set up. You just have to know what you are doing. 6 pack shocks offer 13" of travel where as you can get coil overs in just about any length you want.

#10 ·
Since you already have the coils and like the lift then get the 6 pack shocks. They say you can valve them to your liking but have never actually seen anyone do it. The fact you are running dana 60's with 5.38 gears and 40's has really nothing to do with your choice of shocks and makes it look like you are just throwing out brands and specs to try and impress people.

#11 ·
Nope! Just a newbie and someone else asked what my set up was so just thought I would say. I just have been doing a lot of reading and it seems like the reason everyone likes coil overs is the adjustability. Also that the lower COG the better. Well my thinking is that the 6 pak has adjustability in the valving just not ride height and it has 13 inches of travel which is the same as most coil overs unless you go crazy with 18 inch ones. I just haven't read anything that leads me to believe that spending 4k plus on good coilovers could be THAT much better than the 6 pak. I value all opinions.

#12 ·
Most kits out there run 12" travel simply because they can only effectively fit that size without modifications or a really tall lift height. At the actual lift height you should be at, around 5" you should be able to run a conventional 14" travel shock. I would think you could run the 15" travel 6 pack shocks. You many options in todays smooth body shocks with internal bypass, compression adjusters, and the ability to tune. You also have ORI struts that are a great way to go especially if you like to crawl. You get custom heights, tuneabiltiy, saves weight and simplifies set up by not needing bump stops, sway bars, or limiting straps. No unloading under a climb and very good on road ride. The are just not made to go fast where a coil over/bypass/air bump will be better simply because of tuning and choice of coil rates.

#13 ·
The six pack concept is cool.

And the reason for it seems to be missing from this thread.

While a six pack shock and any other shock can indeed have the same travel. The purpose of a six pack is that is has a shorter compressed length for a given extension than a coilover or traditional shock.

If you know why this is a good thing and have your Jeep set up to take advantage of it, get them. Otherwise, your money is best spent elsewhere.

Me personally? I am super happy with plain old coils and Bilsteins. Although I am still messing with the shock mounting positions to get full travel out of them. But can very much appreciate what either a coil over or six pack brings to a Jeep that is built for them.

#14 ·
Yes, I mentioned that in post 3. Personally I don't think they look cool, I think they look dumb. Maybe its the color of them (should be yellow) but I have never really cared for them. What I did not mention is that their benefit is all in the collapsed length or how far you can stuff a tire, oh and btw you typically need no fenders or run metal cloaks hi line fenders in order to take advantage of that short collapsed length. With 40's the tires become an issue as far as stuffing with long travel. Its best to do your axle, suspension, and tires then pick your shocks based on the clearance you have.

#15 ·
Roger all that Dirtman.

I does seem to take a very specific set of circumstances to take advantage of the six packs. For example, with my 37's and MCE flares, I could stuff the tires a bit more, but until I notch my frame, I have to limit my up travel to keep the drag link off the frame.

I end up short about 1.5" of full travel because of this and so could run a slightly longer shock to get full extension. But like I said, probably easier to just adjust the shock mount locations as 11" of travel is just fine for my needs.

I would be interested to see how people are using these and the setups that get full travel out of these shocks.

#16 ·
I would say about 95% of the lifted jeeps I see around don't have properly set up shocks and bump stops and doubt anyone using 6 pack shocks is doing anything else then just following the install instructions instead of measuring and flexing out their rig to max out all they can.

#17 ·
We ran the 6paks once upon a time. As Dirtman noted, when set up right, they do offer more travel than standard shocks. That said, most people don't understand that the gain is in up-travel. At a min for 37s, you need Overline fenders to match. With 40s, all is lost unless you do some legit body work or make some custom brackets to move the upper shock tower lower.

Another consideration is that you will need a $400 nitrogen kit.

Coilovers are great, when properly installed. Problem with that is that if they bolt on, they are not installed well. I'd rather a coil spring setup in the rear than inboarding coilovers.

Long arm, short arm, infinite flex systems, etc... Usually doesn't matter. 98% of setups we see barely have more suspension travel than a stock JK and in many cases, less. People don't know any better. A kit comes with longer shocks and 3"-4" of bump stop. $2k to lose 1" of travel.

#19 ·
Some good tech in here!

thedirtman, Fusion 4x4 and others are correct, most people don't setup their shocks correctly and I've seen people leave up to 2" of travel unused. Considering 3" lift JK's probably get 10" of total travel, that's a lot of unused travel. It's worth taking the time to flex your rig out and cycle the suspension in order to get the exact right bump stop spacers you need. If you haven't bought shocks yet, it's worth cycling to see what'll fit. Start by looking at shock collapsed length. Half the value of the Fox & King threaded bump stops is that they're extremely easy to adjust for the exact right bump stop location.

Coilovers are a lot more than height adjustability. The progressive rate and dual rate springs you see that fit in the OEM location offer a mild rate increase when compared to a coilover. A single dual rate spring might be 150 lb/in then transition to 200 lb/in. A coilover would go from 110 lb/in to 250 lb/in. The coilover initial rate is softer for better ride quality and the ending rate is higher for better bottoming control and possibly handling. The dual rate transition on the coilover is also tuneable so you can put it in the exact right spot, I've seen plenty of single progressive rate springs that ride on the higher rate because it's not tuneable. Coilover dual rate springs are a HUGE advantage over a slightly progressive rate springs in terms of ride quality, handling and bottoming control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.